PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
For whatever reason, It seems like the alerts that I've signed up for have never worked. I've never been alerted..
if it's from SPC they go based on when you put in the alert and only alert so many people each time.
I figured that out when like 2 years after I signed up for an alert I finally got one.. I emailed them and ask why it took so long when I had seen it in stock before.
They told me that's how it works.. that if there are like 600 people signed up for alerts it takes forever before you are ever in the group that is "alerted".

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
if it's from SPC they go based on when you put in the alert and only alert so many people each time.
I figured that out when like 2 years after I signed up for an alert I finally got one.. I emailed them and ask why it took so long when I had seen it in stock before.
They told me that's how it works.. that if there are like 600 people signed up for alerts it takes forever before you are ever in the group that is "alerted".

Thanks for solving the mystery, Scooby.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
So I had one time alerts at SP for Brigade Dark Campaign Flake and Astley's 44. Got the emails at 9:49 am. Tried to buy at 10:15 and -- no longer available. Not going to even bother with these alerts anymore. Do they get in 5 tins at a time, or are people hoarding or both?
Hmmm thats not good. I'm watching this thread so I can see what to expect.

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One other point -- I know some will disagree, but i think its a bit absurd that supply pricing doesn't reflect demand. Does it make sense to charge the same amount of a tin of Astley's 44 or Esoterica as a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla, or even close to it? If tins sell out that quickly -- and they know which ones will -- they should increase the price dramatically. Would make good business sense for them, and would dissuade people from building cellars with multiple tins of tobacco they will never smoke but will eventually try to resell at a huge premium.
Absolutely! Why should third party hoarders make all that money by gouging when the merchants can do the gouging instead. Or even better, blenders and manufacturers, the people who actually create the blends, should raise their prices and maybe cut out the retailers altogether by doing direct sales. Germains can sell Stonehaven for $150 directly and make about 10 times what they currently get for it.
Let's take all those worthless people living on fixed incomes and shut them out economically. They don't deserve access to quality tobaccos because they don't have money. They can get by on corn silk or one of these value bulk bags, or they can quit, which is healthier for them. Yep, makes perfect sense.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
To put it in a more positive way, I give high points for high volume, well-produced, sufficiently distributed brands and blends, whom I salute.
Agreed. I also try to go for the more available. I particularly don't like splitting up my orders between vendors but if I have to, fine. I'm particularly watching this thread bc on SPC I'm subscriber #93 for Early Morning Pipe. I was surprised to see it out of stock, for at least a week. I even wrote them and i was told there's no ETA yet.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
One other point -- I know some will disagree, but i think its a bit absurd that supply pricing doesn't reflect demand. Does it make sense to charge the same amount of a tin of Astley's 44 or Esoterica as a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla, or even close to it? If tins sell out that quickly -- and they know which ones will -- they should increase the price dramatically. Would make good business sense for them, and would dissuade people from building cellars with multiple tins of tobacco they will never smoke but will eventually try to resell at a huge premium.

Demand does typically set the price..

Reactions: Razorback and BROBS

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I have bought a fair percentage of my pipes and tobacco from spc and have not complaints with their service or selection. Their pipe finder tool is excellent and you can find some good sales on pipes. And I have managed to buy some tins with one time alrets. This is just a minor annoyance I've noted -- but I don't know of a better US online pipe/tobacco retailer.

My only other complaint with SPC is their tobacco reviews on youtube. Would be nice once in a while to hear a negative or even middle of the road review of a tobacco - would lend credibility to their many, many glowing reviews. I guess it's tough to negatively review a product you sell.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
...hear a negative or even middle of the road review of a tobacco - would lend credibility to their many, many glowing reviews. I guess it's tough to negatively review a product you sell.

That's understandable but I know some people that review products in different areas (not pipe specific) will only post reviews for things that they can be positive about. I'm not sure if that's the case here but it is a possibility, in my mind at least.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yep. Great company, in my opinion, and a sponsor of this site.
They are. And I don't hesitate to order from them if they have what I want. It can just be frustrating when what you want either never seems to go in stock or does and is gone immediately.

As for pipes.. they are the winners hands down both on selection and pricing.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Seems likely you are all right -- low supply. But to mso49's point, seems silly to even carry it. But now I'm verging on whining. Whatever -- I certainly have plenty of choices without it. Was just a bit surprised is all.

Not silly at all. If you only purchase 2 tins, you pay for the shipping. I'm sure many are like me though, I will find enough other stuff to order to hit the min level for free shipping. The 2 tins end up creating sales for other stuff.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I often wonder how many people actually buy blends because of the name of the tin vs knowing what the hell is in the tin, and actually wanting to smoke it. I mean if you look at Esoterica on TR not all blends have 5 out of 4 star reviews, yet they are perpetually out of stock.

It’s hard to really know what motivates people. Esoterica is generally well respected but not every blend is for everyone. Penzance is legendary but was never my favorite. Kingfisher is one that I love and is gone forever but the reviews were never stellar. And I have plenty of stuff in the cellar that I have never tried yet...but it’s on the list!

My rule used to be buy 2 tins minimum. Then it was 4. Now it could be 10 depending on what it is. I like having stuff age in the cellar and hate seeing stuff disappear off the market if it’s something I like.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I often wonder how many people actually buy blends because of the name of the tin vs knowing what the hell is in the tin, and actually wanting to smoke it. I mean if you look at Esoterica on TR not all blends have 5 out of 4 star reviews, yet they are perpetually out of stock.
It’s because people buy it and resell it for more $$$ just going off the brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.