PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
So I had one time alerts at SP for Brigade Dark Campaign Flake and Astley's 44. Got the emails at 9:49 am. Tried to buy at 10:15 and -- no longer available. Not going to even bother with these alerts anymore. Do they get in 5 tins at a time, or are people hoarding or both?
Alot of people were more than likely anxiously waiting for them to be back in stock as well and bought the minute they got the alert. You gotta be on the ball with blends such as those, or you will be late to the party everytime. 10-15 late is too late ?
Better luck next time though my friend

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a customer, I push back at blends that require emergency purchases like this, or months of waiting and hunting in ambush. There's a time tested well honored principle of supply and demand, and if a brand and retailers don't want to subscribe, let them sell their damned blends at neighborhood art fairs. I hate to be churlish, but I say get into business or get out of the road. To put it in a more positive way, I give high points for high volume, well-produced, sufficiently distributed brands and blends, whom I salute.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
My advice is don't bother. Find a substitute. The hoarders have it worked done to a fine science. They probably sit in front of their screen all day watching it and then, hell, who knows? Some auto-mechanical, transmogrifier program that let's them buy it all up. I give the forum five minutes before the hoarders start posting and bragging.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
As a customer, I push back at blends that require emergency purchases like this, or months of waiting and hunting in ambush. There's a time tested well honored principle of supply and demand, and if a brand and retailers don't want to subscribe, let them sell their damned blends at neighborhood art fairs. I hate to be churlish, but I say get into business or get out of the road. To put it in a more positive way, I give high points for high volume, well-produced, sufficiently distributed brands and blends, whom I salute.
I think many of us feel that way but I don’t think it’s that simple. Some products are not easily substituted. Supply issues lead to many people stocking up in cherished blends (hoarding) before they disappear, like toilet paper. ?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Seems likely you are all right -- low supply. But to mso49's point, seems silly to even carry it. But now I'm verging on whining. Whatever -- I certainly have plenty of choices without it. Was just a bit surprised is all.

I know what you mean. If you don’t stay on top of things you all of a sudden find your favorite blends are hard to come by. I dug into my cellar to revisit some things I hadn’t smoked in a long while, fell in love again only to find out you can’t get your hands on the stuff. GH Ennerdale and SG Kendal Cream - I was able to find some Kendal Cream but only the smallest amount of Ennerdale and no tins. Bracken Flake - discontinued!!!!

Then it was Peterson PPP -Rediscovered it, ordered some and saw the ridiculous “new” tins. Went to find out why they changed and discovered it actually wasn’t available for a while. Glad I missed that one.

Theres really no rhyme or reason. At the moment there’s plenty of good stuff to smoke, like you said, but it’s nice to be able to get the blends you would like to.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROBS - yeah, I don't think I will be ordering from them much in the future unless I have a need to restock readily available tins, which is not likely at the moment. Looking forward to a large order coming in from Estervals.
yup. I've halved my frustration by basically giving up on SPC ever having stock of anything I want to buy.

and for readily available tins there are cheaper and faster sources, with lower free shipping thresholds.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
One other point -- I know some will disagree, but i think its a bit absurd that supply pricing doesn't reflect demand. Does it make sense to charge the same amount of a tin of Astley's 44 or Esoterica as a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla, or even close to it? If tins sell out that quickly -- and they know which ones will -- they should increase the price dramatically. Would make good business sense for them, and would dissuade people from building cellars with multiple tins of tobacco they will never smoke but will eventually try to resell at a huge premium.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting to see these in short supply again. The 44 has undergone a blending change, so I don't look for more of it. It's not bad, it's just not 44. Wessex Campaign cometh and goeth. I do like that flake and have a goodly supply from 2014, when it disappeared for awhile. Eventually it came back into stock.
If you want to find either of these two blends, widen you search from the big on line stores and reach out to B&M's. It may take a bit of effort and the price may be higher, but you will have what you seek in hand. When it comes to hard to find blends, I don't waste time with the main online stores. I get what I want through B&Ms.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
One other point -- I know some will disagree, but i think its a bit absurd that supply pricing doesn't reflect demand. Does it make sense to charge the same amount of a tin of Astley's 44 or Esoterica as a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla, or even close to it? If tins sell out that quickly -- and they know which ones will -- they should increase the price dramatically. Would make good business sense for them, and would dissuade people from building cellars with multiple tins of tobacco they will never smoke but will eventually try to resell at a huge premium.
well they won't do that because then they will cost more than other shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.