PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I've never heard of a watch cuff before. So it has to be fitted for you? It's non adjustable?
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be fitted to you personally, but no, its not adjustable (except by am experienced silversmith). You just slide it on and off on a spot above your wrist.

16805812670281860487519749134341.jpg

You measure your wrist and purchase the correct size. This one was too small so I had it sized up.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
An update on my latest Orient Star watch, an Orient Star Classic I bought a couple of months ago on sale for $320.

14C35E21-8DA0-4453-8354-93791274772C.jpeg

First the shortcomings. The crystal is mineral glass, not safire, and it’s only water resistant to 50 meters, which means I have to be extra careful not to scratch it, and it’s not wise to shower or swim with it on.

Now for the virtues.

The crystal is mineral glass because it’s highly domed, over a pie plate dial. Making a domed crystal of Safire would add a lot to the cost, if it was practical. My father’s 1958 Hamilton domed pie plate had an acrylic plastic crystal, and mine is better. The visual effect is stunning. The domed pie plates were the ultimate in dress watches in their day, and I have a brand new one.

The dagger hands of my watch are an incredibly beautiful cobalt blue. The dial is subtly guilloched so it changes hue as the light strikes it.

The bracelet of my watch has solid links, and a forged closure. It’s not likely going to break or wear out, for the life of the watch. It looks stunning.

The diameter of my watch is 38 mm, slightly smaller than modern dress watches of 40-42mm. Just that little bit less gives a retro look of the fifties domed pie plate watches.

The movement is an upgraded, decorated 22 jewel Orient automatic which has been powering Orient Star watches for almost a half century.

In the two months or so I’ve owned this, every Saturday night I set it using my phone and the accuracy is phenomenal, exactly 15 seconds fast a week, week after week.

I like this Orient Star Classic so much it’s the only wristwatch I wear. I take it off to shower and to sleep, and when I’m outdoors at the farm I wear a pocket watch.

If you like dress watches, check out the Orient Star Classic with blue hands and a domed pie plate dial.

7361B19B-5610-4A3C-9A8C-086924619AA1.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I sold my Borealis Icarus (Field style watch) and picked up a like new example of the relatively new Seiko " Captain Willard". This is a re-issue of the watch Martin Sheen wore in Apocalypse Now and used to sell in US Army PX's, a lot of Vietnam era solders bought these. They sold a $5k version, that was larger, then came out with this more moderately priced version, which is slightly smaller (and perfect by my tastes in smaller watches). I was lucky to find this near-new example at a great price (new, it would have been beyond my budget).

I'll dunk it in the warm water of the Florida Key's later this week, we hope to get in a week of snorkeling around the various Key's.

20230405_171238.jpg

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I see more and more fitbits and iWatches on men these days. But today, I am wearing my Citizens, and the new bracelet design I’ve made to accompany my wedding band.
View attachment 93268

Nope, now way! That combo is absolutely stunning!

I am lost without a watch. I hate having to pull my cell phone out all the time and my Apple Watch is almost always needing a charge and has some alert on the face when I only need to know the time! I wear a watch all the time but not many that are photo worthy. I just wanted to add my 2¢

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve spent the afternoon playing with my watch collection and my watch timer app, and there seems to be an exception to the old truism you always get what you pay for, when it comes to Parnis brand watches.

The Seagull factory in China produces about five million mechanical watch movements a year, or about 25% of world totals. Parnis uses Seagull, Dixmont (Chinese) or Miyota (Japanese) movements and today I’ve found if it’s a Parnis brand watch, when I put it on the time grapher it’s going to trace out nice, smooth graphs with average timekeeping error rates of a second or two a day, hardly any beat errors, and the amplitude of the watch will be high, and regular, often over 300 degrees. And most will be regulated at about plus 8-10 seconds a day. That leaves a little room for the watch to slow down, you know?

The fit and finish and quality of decoration and of bands on Parnis watches is nothing less than incredible, not even considering the price.

Here’s an example of a Parnis 38 jewel ST2505 decorated Seagull automatic movement with an open heart balance, 6 o’clock minute hand tour billion wheel, 9:30 calendar, 2:30 45 hour power reserve, sweep center minute hand, hand wind able and hacking, display back, water resistant (don’t shower with it to see) stainless large watch with an excellent quality genuine leather band.

IMG_4040.jpegIMG_4041.jpegIMG_4043.jpeg

Your choice of styles and colors for $89.

IMG_4044.jpeg

That particular watch is probably a homage to some high end Swiss watch made exactly the same way, at a hundred times more in price or perhaps even more.

Collecting watches is cheap.

How much of a pipe does $89 buy?.;)

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I’ve spent the afternoon playing with my watch collection and my watch timer app, and there seems to be an exception to the old truism you always get what you pay for, when it comes to Parnis brand watches.

The Seagull factory in China produces about five million mechanical watch movements a year, or about 25% of world totals. Parnis uses Seagull, Dixmont (Chinese) or Miyota (Japanese) movements and today I’ve found if it’s a Parnis brand watch, when I put it on the time grapher it’s going to trace out nice, smooth graphs with average timekeeping error rates of a second or two a day, hardly any beat errors, and the amplitude of the watch will be high, and regular, often over 300 degrees. And most will be regulated at about plus 8-10 seconds a day. That leaves a little room for the watch to slow down, you know?

The fit and finish and quality of decoration and of bands on Parnis watches is nothing less than incredible, not even considering the price.

Here’s an example of a Parnis 38 jewel ST2505 decorated Seagull automatic movement with an open heart balance, 6 o’clock minute hand tour billion wheel, 9:30 calendar, 2:30 45 hour power reserve, sweep center minute hand, hand wind able and hacking, display back, water resistant (don’t shower with it to see) stainless large watch with an excellent quality genuine leather band.

View attachment 223153View attachment 223154View attachment 223155

Your choice of styles and colors for $89.

View attachment 223156

That particular watch is probably a homage to some high end Swiss watch made exactly the same way, at a hundred times more in price or perhaps even more.

Collecting watches is cheap.

How much of a pipe does $89 buy?.;)
The worst watch i ever had was a Parnis submariner.

Reactions: didimauw