PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
New arrival...

It's made by a Chinese company called 'San Martin' and is modern version of the WWII 'Dirty Dozen' - military watches commissioned by the UK War Department for the armed forces. 'Dirty Dozen' because 12 companies made the originals (1x British and 11x Swiss).

San Martin are in my opinion one of the better Chinese makers which possibly explains why I have 12 of their products with a couple more commissioned customisations on order!

This one is quartz whereas the originals would have been mechanical hand winders (i.e. not automatics). The San Martin either comes with the manufacturers name on the dial or more prototypically without a name. This is one that a group called BSH (Brotherhood of the Submariner Homage) commissioned so it has our logo on the dial, crown and clasp plus we had the back engraved in a sort of military fashion:

IMG_4115.jpeg
IMG_4117.jpeg
We've called this version 'Dirty Brozen' because it has a bronze case and as a nod to the real thing.

By modern standards it's quite small at 37mm although the originals varied between 35mm and 37mm depending on manufacturer. More details of the originals in this link:

In-Depth: The 'Dirty Dozen,' An Incredible Collection Of 12 (Mostly) Inexpensive Military Watches - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/dirty-dozen-twelve-military-watches

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
m

My 1950 Hamilton 992B
View attachment 93270
and 1955 992B
View attachment 93271
As you say these watches keep excellent time for over 60 years old
Some observations about the Hamilton 992B that a retired watchmaker told me:

1. While for civilian use, extreme accuracy was a desirable thing in a watch, for railroad use the accuracy and reliability of engineer’s watch was a matter of life and death. By 1940 any railroad inspector approved new 16 size watch from Hamilton, Waltham or Elgin was equally reliable and capable of extreme accuracy, a within a few seconds a week, far exceeding the +/- 30 seconds a week railroad standard.

2. The 1940 Hamilton 992B was the last railroad grade watch designed, and remains the best because of its modular design which utilized modern methods of manufacturing interchangeable parts. This makes the 992B the easiest to regulate, the easiest to service, and the easiest to replace parts of any railroad watch.

3. The 992B was the last railroad watch, made until about 1970. There are more NOS parts for the 992B than any other railroad watch available.

4. What killed the 992B was the Bulova Accutron. It was the first wrist watch approved for railroad service.

5. There was something of a revival of the pocket watch during the seventies, that continues until the present time.
But instead of copies of the 992B, new pocket watches have either a Swiss or a copy of the ETA/Unitas 6497 or 6498 movement, which has an effective Incabloc shock absorber.

6. If you only have one American railroad watch, make it a Hamilton 992B.