PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First of three new arrivals from Temu. This one is a little larger than I thought, and very confusing to set. I also wasn't anticipating the lens being so tinted.

20230830_191113.jpg

Second, this watch looks really cool, but confusing to set and read the time.
20230830_191137.jpg

Thirdly, this one just plain doesn't work. The inner 'seconds' wheel spins, but not any of the others.
20230830_191153.jpg

I think I'm going to return all 3 sadly 👎

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I just got back into nicer watches after I almost threw my Apple Watch across the room because of the constant notifications (yes I know I can turn some off, but then what's the point of having the damned thing).

Here are a few of mine. I also have two pocket watches that I rebuilt several years ago, but one needs some repairs after it was damaged in an unfortunate suitcase accident. I have one Hamilton 18s Hunter that was made in 1896, and I have a Hamilton 996 Railroad watch with violet hands and the case is a display case with crystals on both sides. Both keep really good time (when they're repaired).

Here is my newest: LIV GX-44mm in Crater Grey
IMG_E3402[1].JPG
This is a Farer Bradfield Pilot that my wife got for me earlier this year for our anniversary. I LOVE the look of this watch and it lights up the night with the lume:
IMG_E3403[1].JPG

And this was my gift to myself after I got a job promotion. Longines Record Chronometer with a brown alligator strap.

IMG_E3404[1].JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks. This was my first automatic watch and I really wanted a nice, clean dress watch and I’ve always like Longines watches.

I don’t wear it as often as the other two, but it certainly looks great with a suit.
I own two Longines watches (Hydroconquest & Skin Diver), so I'm a fan. I love what they've done with historic revivals.

Reactions: timelord

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
Don't know why I didn't see this thread before. Anyway, I love watches, but tend to gravitate toward the vintage side. The engineering, the mechanics, how simple, yet complex they are, how they've stood the test of time. The older the better. If only they could talk. I taught myself to tear them down, clean and oil them, and put'em back together since it's really hard to find a good watchmaker. Here's my 1947 Omega with beautiful patina:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-17 at 11.48.24.jpeg

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
Did you just buy a beater from ebay and some tools and figure it out?
Thats exactly what I did. No way I was going to operate on my Omegas without some practice. I went through a couple of beaters before servicing my others. I never fully felt comfortable until I successfully serviced the more expensive watches. It's not rocket science, it's really just going very slow, deliberate and having a healthy sense of patience.

Reactions: Scottmi

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The green faced one is TW2V20900. it has held up well, but I still want to replace the band.

The grey faced one is TW2R89000, and is a great watch.
I think the grey one might work but would be a bit big at 42mm. The green one is what really caught my eye but would not fit well on my baby wrist being 45mm.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thats exactly what I did. No way I was going to operate on my Omegas without some practice. I went through a couple of beaters before servicing my others. I never fully felt comfortable until I successfully serviced the more expensive watches. It's not rocket science, it's really just going very slow, deliberate and having a healthy sense of patience.
What tool set to you have?