PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

melkvintage

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
From a nonsmoking newbie:

I found this set of 6 vintage Dunhill pipes on a fleemarket. I know absolutely nothing about smoking, apart from my father and grandfathers knew how to enjoy tobacco.

I bought this because of the stunning look and feel on these objects, and the box itself. And I got curious.

So: Could someone share some information about this set? What is this? How old is it?

And: what should I do with it? Maintenance? And I guess I should start smoking?

55E5A239-6A6C-41E0-BC43-60B788943396.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To begin with, photographs will help with determining the date and condition. Macro photography of the various stampings on the wooden shank, pictures of the rim around the bowl chamber, pictures of the stem, bit, and slot, all help. One of the pipe appears to have a gold band, though it may be sterling that's tarnished, and that will also help date that pipe as it's been hallmarked, which includes year of manufacture.

There are a couple of good resources you can consult to get some answers:

pipedia:

There's no shortage of information on line regarding Dunhill and some of it is actually correct and useful, which is uncommon these days.

melkvintage

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
He he. Thanks so much for replies. Makes me happy. Well, I paid 100$ on an auction in Oslo today. I was surprised about the low price. And I am really glad I got these :) I will later post more photos and numbers. But still, happy for all kinds of info. And yes, I dont deserve these, and my wife does not understand why I bought them.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
He he. Thanks so much for replies. Makes me happy. Well, I paid 100$ on an auction in Oslo today. I was surprised about the low price. And I am really glad I got these :) I will later post more photos and numbers. But still, happy for all kinds of info. And yes, I dont deserve these, and my wife does not understand why I bought them.
Well my friend, if you want to make the misses a happy camper. Im sure somebody would give you a nice down payment on a car for those beuts.

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
Your name is Lucky?

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
And: what should I do with it? Maintenance? And I guess I should start smoking?

Send them to me ASAP?

Wow what a score!! Congrats. I’d try smoking 1 or 2 for a while and see if it’s for you. If not you can always resell and make a profit on these. Thanks for sharing these.

Reactions: lightmybriar