PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I would seriously consider cashing in on these. You could buy your wife something nice, get a few solid pipes to explore the hobby with, and have a sizeable tobacco budget to play with as you try different things.

But then…you’ll probably never come across what you have found again.

Without any further information, it would be a safe bet to say you could sell each pipe individually for twice what you paid in total. But selling as a set, boy that would start an eBay bidding war

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Hey mate, awesome find, these are potentially quite valuable, you could almost certainly sell them, get a single nice pipe and plenty of tobacco with the proceeds (I don't know how much tobacco is in Scandinavian Countries)

Don't let anyone pinch them, they're bloody lovely.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
If you can post some pictures of the actual stampings on a 3 or 4 of the pipes we can probably tell you a year of production and/or if they were a actually a set that came together. If it is a few different years then it may not be a real set, and someone just threw some nice dunhills in a display case.

melkvintage

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
If you can post some pictures of the actual stampings on a 3 or 4 of the pipes we can probably tell you a year of production and/or if they were a actually a set that came together. If it is a few different years then it may not be a real set, and someone just threw some nice dunhills in a display case.
Thanks. I will post some photos. But I see 4 of them with "Made in England 16" , one "made in England 20" with underscore, and maybe one " made in England 16" with underscore...

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks. I will post some photos. But I see 4 of them with "Made in England 16" , one "made in England 20" with underscore, and maybe one " made in England 16" with underscore...
The underscored 16 represents 1976 and the 20 means 1980. Looking forward to photos! Congratulations!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
He he. Thanks so much for replies. Makes me happy. Well, I paid 100$ on an auction in Oslo today. I was surprised about the low price. And I am really glad I got these :) I will later post more photos and numbers. But still, happy for all kinds of info. And yes, I dont deserve these, and my wife does not understand why I bought them.
On no! Don't listen to these other guys, they're just trying to make you feel better.
Those are really old rubbish pipes.
See the white dot on the stem? That signifies that they're rejects.
I feel really bad that an honest fella like yourself could be taken advantage of but since I'm a bit of a softy I tell you what; I'll pay you the $100 to take them off your hands and I'll use them for decoration pieces.
It's the least I could do for an unsuspecting non-smoker. puffy

melkvintage

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
Promise to post more photos. But for now, the text, starting from upper left:

4110 DUNHILL BRUYERE, MADE IN ENGLAND 16
042 8 DUNHILL BRUYERE, MADE IN ENGLAND 16
415 DUNHILL BRUYERE, MADE IN ENGLAND 16

42041 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR, MADE IN ENGLAND 20 (UNDERSCORE)
3109 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR, MADE IN ENGLAND 20 (OR 26) doublestampet.. underscore.
0467 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR, MADE IN ENGLAND 16

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

In all seriousness, that must be the find of the year if not the decade.
I've won some bargains on ebay but nothing like this.
Dunhill estates regularly go for $300+.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Tobacco is crazy expensive is Scandinavia. I paid 90 USD for a pouch and a tin in Bergen a few years ago. But still, with the proceeds from such an auction one could keep oneself smoking for some time.
Tobacco is also ludicrously expensive here in Nanny State Australia - $125 for 50g. [$90usd]
Fortunately I found U.S. tobacconists when the price was $75aud.

• Wow
Reactions: PipeIT

melkvintage

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
We have a really nice Tobacco shop in Oslo, so I will soon stop by to get to try these out :)

Anyway: I would very much like to get some idea on what this set is? I have not found any similar box of 6. Is it Dunhill giveaway? Gift Box for the shop?

So: I think this could be some kind of very nice anniversary gift from friends, company or family? They have not been smoked that much, after what I can see, and they seem to be stored like this for many years. I am pretty sure this originally was bought together, but maybe not by the owner. (Who buys 6 similar pipes like this). Ideas?

IMG_5430 2.jpeg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Learn on a cheap pipe so you don’t char a rim or snap a tenon on those dunhills!

This! As you can tell from the responses, you've got a very valuable set of pipes for a shockingly low price. I would get a cheap briar or 2 to learn on before digging into these Dunhills. That way, if you decide pipe smoking is not for you, you can sell this set as unsmoked, which will likely fetch a higher amount should you decide to sell it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York

Bruyere is a smooth grade stained in dark red. It was and is a good grade but considered inferior to the "root" grades. Root Briar, because it has a lighter stain and shows more of the grain, was pretty much the highest Dunhill grade at that time and is still considered a high grade. Pipe-makers at that time were not yet into flame grains or straight grains as much as they are now.

As explained in a previous post, the numbers 16 and 20 represent the number of years after 1960 the pipes were made. Thus 16 = 1976 and 20 = 1980.

The first four numbers before the Dunhill stamp represents the shape code. The first digit denotes the size of the pipe. Yours all seem to be group 3 or 4, which are medium sizes. The second digit denotes the shape of the mouthpiece: 1 = tapered, 2 = saddle. The 3rd and 4th digits represent the shape of the pipe. For example: shape 11 is a Lovat. You can find find all this information at pilephil.eu and pipedia.org.