Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 25, 2022
From a nonsmoking newbie:

I found this set of 6 vintage Dunhill pipes on a fleemarket. I know absolutely nothing about smoking, apart from my father and grandfathers knew how to enjoy tobacco.

I bought this because of the stunning look and feel on these objects, and the box itself. And I got curious.

So: Could someone share some information about this set? What is this? How old is it?

And: what should I do with it? Maintenance? And I guess I should start smoking?

View attachment 141803
From a nonsmoking newbie:

I found this set of 6 vintage Dunhill pipes on a fleemarket. I know absolutely nothing about smoking, apart from my father and grandfathers knew how to enjoy tobacco.

I bought this because of the stunning look and feel on these objects, and the box itself. And I got curious.

So: Could someone share some information about this set? What is this? How old is it?

And: what should I do with it? Maintenance? And I guess I should start smoking?

View attachment 141803
As a museum conservator retired, I suggest you buy a Savinelli pipe one with capabilty for 9mm filters , a box of 100 charcoal filters up front instead of spoiling the inherent value of your prize if they are unsmoked. I think I see signs of use (teetmarks on stem) on the “ Canadian “ lowest right. Regardless of how many were made someone will pay just because they’re Dunhills. Ive a few Dunhill white spots and cherish my Cavilier model given to me in the 1960’s .

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
As a museum conservator retired, I suggest you buy a Savinelli pipe one with capabilty for 9mm filters , a box of 100 charcoal filters up front instead of spoiling the inherent value of your prize if they are unsmoked. I think I see signs of use (teetmarks on stem) on the “ Canadian “ lowest right. Regardless of how many were made someone will pay just because they’re Dunhills. Ive a few Dunhill white spots and cherish my Cavilier model given to me in the 1960’s .
A Cavalier is the only Dunhill pipe that I'd be interested in owning.
Unfortunately the only examples I've seen for sale are $500+ [Not only beyond my budget but I could not ever justify spending that much on a pipe]

Is it a good smoker?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka