PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Here's a very late (1960) 7 day set that was sold by Esterval's Pipe Shop--a mix of Roots, Bruyeres, and Shells.

A good illustration of the way a set has the pipes fitted neatly into the case. I'm pretty sure the OP's case was created for display. Of course as John says that doesn't necessarily prove the pipes weren't originally sold as a set, but it doesn't help either.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Jon, Alejo--you've persuaded me that the o.p.'s box was much more likely intended for some sort of Dunhill salesman's use, rather than a retail customer. Hard cutouts fitted to known pipes seem to be the approach taken by Dunhill throughout the years--even to the present, and regardless of whether the box is traditional, styled like a humidor in wood, or some kind of synthetic.On the other hand, a rather nice, early version of such a box--with a loose gathering of white silk to display up to 12 pipes--seems to have made a cameo appearance at the 2011 Chicago Pipe Show. (And there's even grubby one on offer at an impressive price by a English seller on eBay now.)2011 Chicago Pipe  Show dunhill-01.jpg

melkvintage

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
I will give my opinion. I continue to support those who say don't disarm the group. But I don't think it's a Set. Dunhill sets have a branded leather case and accommodate the pipes with Ad-hoc spaces for each pipe. So there are sets of 2 and 7 pipes. 6 is a strange number for a set. I think it is a display case for tobacco shops. Speaking of pipes, the lighter ones, Root Briar, are more valuable than the dark one, Bruyere.
I agree. The set of 6 seems strange. But the shapes / grooves, are all different, so they are made for a mixed collection. I believe this was bought as a special gift, from wife or work, then used very little. But in the shop, it was maybe a display box etc. But still rare to find as a set like this, I guess..

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I agree. The set of 6 seems strange. But the shapes / grooves, are all different, so they are made for a mixed collection. I believe this was bought as a special gift, from wife or work, then used very little. But in the shop, it was maybe a display box etc. But still rare to find as a set like this, I guess..
Very, very rare. At this price, rather imposible. Congrats

melkvintage

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
Jon, Alejo--you've persuaded me that the o.p.'s box was much more likely intended for some sort of Dunhill salesman's use, rather than a retail customer. Hard cutouts fitted to known pipes seem to be the approach taken by Dunhill throughout the years--even to the present, and regardless of whether the box is traditional, styled like a humidor in wood, or some kind of synthetic.On the other hand, a rather nice, early version of such a box--with a loose gathering of white silk to display up to 12 pipes--seems to have made a cameo appearance at the 2011 Chicago Pipe Show. (And there's even grubby one on offer at an impressive price by a English seller on eBay now.)View attachment 142449
WOW. Thanks. This is it. The box at the right side, with the flip-lid, is just like my box. Do you have more information?

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you for the new photos, melkvintage. The imperative thing now is to actually remove each pipe from the box.

Nonetheless, I think we can now hazard to guess--from what looks like a blurry, pixellated "15" (after Made In England on one of your pipes), and shape codes consisting of either three or four digits (and at least to my eye, the color of the finishes), chances are your pipes date to 1975. If you look on each of the pipes for the words "Made in England," and all of them have the number 15, they were likely sold as a group at the same time. (We'll finesse the word "set" for the moment.)

The next question is does the pipe with the gold band have a small AD within a diamond? Elsewhere is the London assay office's official hallmark, and the crucial thing will be a letter code at the end (1974 was a capital Z, 1975 a capital A in script, 1976 a B, and so on). It's entirely normal for metal bands and pipes to be off by a year or so.

Finally, stick your index finger into each pipe and feel the surface. Is the surface smooth as glass? Or is there a just a hint of grit? If the former, your pipes may be what most of the vintage world term NOS (which pipe aficionados call "unsmoked"). If so, this will also significantly enhance the value of the group

The question that is begged however, if the auctioneer is willing to divulge the answer, is who was the consignor?

This is not the sort of object that spends its life in isolation, and presuming it came directly from an Oslo estate, there's a pretty good chance your pipes' former owner owned dozens of other expensive pipes, and even sealed tins of pipe tobacco. You could also ask--assuming they're still in existence--whatever were Oslo's best tobacconists and/or pipe stores what if anything they might know. . . .

But big scans in sharp focus as requested by sablebrush52 would both answer questions and be a vicarious pleasure for a number of us.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Those pipes looks pretty unsmoked to me...
Agreed. The vulcanite is unblemished, jet black and glossy, with no discernible tooth marks. That's very hard to achieve with a Dunhill pipe unless you don't clench at all and maintain the stems meticulously almost after every smoke. Presumably, the box was kept closed the entire time as well. @melkvintage should keep the box closed as much as possible and keep out of direct sunlight—except to lovingly photograph them so we can all enjoy his good fortune.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
. . . .

Nonetheless, I think we can now hazard to guess--from what looks like a blurry, pixellated "15" (after Made In England on one of your pipes), and shape codes consisting of either three or four digits (and at least to my eye, the color of the finishes), chances are your pipes date to 1975. If you look on each of the pipes for the words "Made in England," and all of them have the number 15, they were likely sold as a group at the same time. (We'll finesse the word "set" for the moment.)
Oops! The horror. I entirely missed the initial part of the thread above deciphering the op's report of nomenclature. My apologies those who weighed in earlier.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@melkvintage Well, you sure have brought some glamour and excitement to this August Forum! You see, Dunhill isn't so much a pipe as an icon.

It's great to see more detailed images of the pipes and you certainly found treasure. The pipes aren't a proper set, but my guess is, were purchased over a few years by someone who just loved how they looked and bought a window/sales display case to house his collection. He clearly didn't smoke them very often. That Bruyere finish shows a level of opacity that would have diminished if exposed to a good deal of use. I had the Bruyere finish renewed on my pipes because I smoked them all the time.

If your first concern is value, don't learn how to smoke a pipe with one of these. Make your mistakes on a few inexpensive pipes. It's not rocket science, but there are a few fundamentals to understand and you won't feel pressured about damaging an expensive pipe. And if none of this bothers you, have at it and enjoy your new toys.