PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Ha, never mind. Seems to have calmed down. This new format caught me. Still adjusting to how threads appear.
Has anyone else received a Tax due letter from your State? At least the person has a sense of humor with the "jack o lantern" sticker... I also buy from the other sites as most do here...so I am not sure why this one triggers a out of state transaction.

Money grubbers.

I bet that the oversight, generation and accounting of this letter sent to you cost your state more than the tax being levied.

I completely understand their intervention if they see an abuse of their statutes at a wholesale purchasing level, but to send out a letter to a guy that bought a hundred bucks worth of cigars? Petty....

Time to move.....

Reactions: jpmcwjr

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Although I deeply despise the willy-nilly use of "Nazi" that's become so thoughtlessly popular these days, I suppose it's no different than calling someone a Neanderthal or, worse yet, "Bloody Viking"

Reactions: twoonefive

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"I am not sure why this one triggers a out of state transaction."

Really? The vendor likely reported your transaction. Doing so is probably required if they wish to do business in your state.

I completely understand their intervention if they see an abuse of their statutes at a wholesale purchasing level, but to send out a letter to a guy that bought a hundred bucks worth of cigars?
So, did they misinterpret the law or is it not written to your preference? The State simply wants what they are losing through inter-state commerce. One party is trying to avoid taxes, the other is simply trying to collect their "fair share" as established by the law makers.

States, and here in Alaska municipalities with sales tax, are not going to stand idely by and let moneys go uncollected. Consumers have skated for many years. As local retailers are closing, governments are forced to recover losses by collecting from e-commerce transactions. There should be no surprise or even rightous indignation (real or fake), at this state of affairs. Even the "simple minded" knew it was coming.

Reactions: shanez

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever received one of these letters for internet purchases of anything other than tobacco. Somehow I doubt it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It's the small tobacco dealers and some other small retailers who cause the problems for the states. Amazon seems to collect the taxes for the states. Hence, no problem with collection. Other large net presences do the same, collect the time of sale. Small tobacco dealers appear to either ignore the situation at their own peril or push the responsibility onto the consumer.

Your state wants its moneys. If you are unaware of your state's position with regard to sales and tobacco taxes ... prepare yourself for a surprise, probably sooner than later.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There are lots of internet purchases other than tobacco that do not include sales tax.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
And tens of thousands that do with the numbers growing. The tobacco tax collection for out of state purchases isn't new. The increased efficiency is. It's still hit or miss but, trust me, the states will improve collection as time goes by. Retailers will either collect at time of sale or inform the state when a taxed item is sent into the jurisdiction. Small retailers will find it easier to collect names, addresses, amounts, etc. and inform the states a couple times a year.

Remember the old adage regarding the only two things certain in life, death and ... taxes. We all knew or, should have known the free ride (tax avoidance) was but a temporary phenomenon. Caesar will get what is rightfully Caesar's.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@warren: I already understood all of that.

My question remains the same however:

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever received one of these letters for internet purchases of anything other than tobacco. Somehow I doubt it.

But if you always are smoking a pipe, there's no such thing as wasted time!

Probably the most important comment in this thread thus far.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
But if you always are smoking a pipe, there's no such thing as wasted time!
Now, what blend goes best with Spam, egg, sausage and Spam?
A fair point. If Spam, egg, sausage, and Spam is to be had, there must be coffee involved. My favorite blends with coffee after breakfast are Dunhill Navy Rolls, Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs, GH Dark Flake Unscented, or GH Dark Bird's Eye.

Since a meal containing Spam can only be described as De Luxe, I will have to go with the Dunhill Navy Rolls. I sometimes toss in about 10% Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding when I smoke this blend for a little hint of Latakia and sweetness and it's great.

Dammit, now I want Spam, coffee, and Navy Pudding for dinner. Alright maybe it wasn't a total waste of my time.

sandollars said:
I completely understand their intervention if they see an abuse of their statutes at a wholesale purchasing level, but to send out a letter to a guy that bought a hundred bucks worth of cigars?
So, did they misinterpret the law or is it not written to your preference? The State simply wants what they are losing through inter-state commerce. One party is trying to avoid taxes, the other is simply trying to collect their "fair share" as established by the law makers.

States, and here in Alaska municipalities with sales tax, are not going to stand idly by and let moneys go uncollected. Consumers have skated for many years. As local retailers are closing, governments are forced to recover losses by collecting from e-commerce transactions. There should be no surprise or even righteous indignation (real or fake), at this state of affairs. Even the "simple minded" knew it was coming.

Ahh. I see what clever thing you did there. You completely (intentionally?) missed my point for it was in the previous sentence. The one you omitted.

In my line of work I often get misquoted by individuals for self serving purposes.

I do not begrudge my Government their required funds through my taxes to supply the services which We, The People, contract them to supply. Nay, not one penny. I happily pay my taxes.

I have been all over this big world and I am so lucky to have been born and raised in the country which I live. What infuriates me is when I see flagrant waste brought on by ignorance and mismanagement of the taxes that I pay.

If a cop is standing in front of 2 individuals, one committing a murder and the other shoplifting, Which offense should he pursue First? Which would yield the best net effect? Surely the shoplifter would be an easier collar but I suggest it should be the murderer. Same, same, only different...

BTW, I corrected a couple of spelling errors you missed in your comments. My simple mind is too meticulous for its own good sometimes.

Just helping out.. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.