PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
It's not just tobacco and pipes. I ordered some bike ridding gear (Assos) from their outlet store at really great prices. I got a customs bill much later after the stuff arrived. Customs valued the items at the full retail price and charged me a duty tax.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It's not just tobacco and pipes. I ordered some bike riding gear (Assos) from their outlet store at really great prices. I got a customs bill much later after the stuff arrived. Customs valued the items at the full retail price and charged me a duty tax.
Oh Yeah, that must be a surprise on its own, but you could a be laying low' no answering the phone nor letter,in so you were ignorant, say was traveling overseas

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
SO all in all I finally received the pipes after paying a $79 duty fee. Never again!
A couple questions:
Why did you not place your order from a domestic supplier? My guess is, the price was lower?
Did you still save money? If so, why "Never Again"?
Why should you/we be exempt from paying the same import taxes that SP or other suppliers have to pay?
There is a real easy solution to customs issues, order from domestic suppliers who have already paid the customs taxes.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
SO all in all I finally received the pipes after paying a $79 duty fee. Never again!

Was the fee from customs or from a middleman who filled out paperwork on your behalf?

Customs fees and taxes are usually not that bad. I once brought in 9 bottles of tequila ranging in value from $40-$400/bottle. The customs agent had me fill out the paperwork myself so all I ended up paying was the tax which amounted to all of $2.38.

Jun 23, 2019
Finally after about a week and a half of emails and forms and scans and (to my surprise) a fairly reasonable customs tax, I finally got my Dunhill delivery. Celebrating by popping open a new time of .... [can you guess?].. Ready to walk the dog and lunt'n'grunt a little.

VmJb3Hrl.jpg

Reactions: cshubhra

tiberiusjones

Lurker
May 4, 2016
A couple questions:
Why did you not place your order from a domestic supplier? My guess is, the price was lower?
Did you still save money? If so, why "Never Again"?
Why should you/we be exempt from paying the same import taxes that SP or other suppliers have to pay?
There is a real easy solution to customs issues, order from domestic suppliers who have already paid the customs taxes.
First of all, the pipes I wanted were not avaialble from Domestic suppliers, second, the prices were very reasonable.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
After re-reading this thread I ask, rhetorically, how much are you guys spending to incur these size of customs fees/taxes?

Sure, if you ordered a dozen or so pipes from the likes of Balleby, Chonowitsch, Eltang, etc., I could see it but the odd pipe for a few hundred bucks? Surely you're being charged by a broker and not customs?

Reactions: anotherbob

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
First of all, the pipes I wanted were not avaialble from Domestic suppliers, second, the prices were very reasonable.
I guess that was part of my point - "the prices were very reasonable". Was it still reasonable with the $79 tax?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
probably not tha
After re-reading this thread I ask, rhetorically, how much are you guys spending to incur these size of customs fees/taxes?

Sure, if you ordered a dozen or so pipes from the likes of Balleby, Chonowitsch, Eltang, etc., I could see it but the odd pipe for a few hundred bucks? Surely you're being charged by a broker and not customs?
probably not that much
I am hit with 24% tax plus a fee of about 15-20 euros so about 250 (275 usd) euros would equate to 48 euros (66 usd) tax plus 15 euro (16 USD) = 82 USD

275 USD hardly a astronomic price if buying a Dunhill,Castello from Italy

Of course I dont know the taxes in USA this is just a rough guestimate based on my Greek experiences

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Carriers like UPS are more likely to hit you with fees then regular mail. They're more stringent. In fact they once destroyed a package because they were not sure if it was legal (it certainly 100 percent was but they said since they were not 100 percent sure if it was o.k. just destroyed it not sent it back to the seller.) Never had customs charge me a dime through the regular old mail even with packages that should have been charged, where opened, labeled and everything.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Fines, taxes, delays...minor inconveniences when one considers the many, many children whose lives were saved because of these important and effective measures.

Shame on you for not remembering the children.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sounds like I got very lucky or it was just good timing, I was buying boat loads of Condor Plug from Ireland all throughout 2015-16 without ever getting slapped with more taxes in customs. I only buy from Germany maybe once or twice a year these days but I’ve never had any issues there either. I only buy tobacco though, never bought a pipe from overseas.

Oct 7, 2016
Was the fee from customs or from a middleman who filled out paperwork on your behalf?

Customs fees and taxes are usually not that bad. I once brought in 9 bottles of tequila ranging in value from $40-$400/bottle. The customs agent had me fill out the paperwork myself so all I ended up paying was the tax which amounted to all of $2.38.
This, at least on pipes.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
NJ Tax sent me a letter that I owe $25...2nd letter this year ($35)...Looking at the order dates this was from IR&C. 30% Tabacco Product Tax and 6.625% Sales and Uses Tax. For me I will not be ordering from IR&C...goodbye Esoterica.

Status
Not open for further replies.