PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ever read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair? Want to go back to that libertarian paradise?

The point is that you'll never solve the problem through centralized control. Even if it starts out with good intentions it will eventually degenerate into organized crime. You can put whatever label you want on it...those who are above the law don't care what you call it.

The left/right thing is just divide and conquer...it's all run by the same interests at the top while they keep the public fighting each other over race, gender, and any other BS they can keep everyone stirred up and distracted with.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
And no, I haven't read The Jungle, but I'm certainly aware of it and of its author. And I do love the following Sinclair quote, which I've posted here before:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” -- Upton Sinclair

Oct 7, 2016
The point is that you'll never solve the problem through centralized control. Even if it starts out with good intentions it will eventually degenerate into organized crime. You can put whatever label you want on it...those who are above the law don't care what you call it.

The left/right thing is just divide and conquer...it's all run by the same interests at the top while they keep the public fighting each other over race, gender, and any other BS they can keep everyone stirred up and distracted with.
No wonder these threads get closed, no reasonable discussion of what legislation or regulation might or might not be in the cards is possible once the government can never do any good Randian crowd jumps in. We don’t live in small Swiss Cantons in the 19th century. But even those might have had too much government for some.

Oct 7, 2016
And no, I haven't read The Jungle, but I'm certainly aware of it and of its author. And I do love the following Sinclair quote, which I've posted here before:

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” -- Upton Sinclair
Maybe read a whole book that you that might be disagreeable to your “worldview” every now and then. Quote mining the Internet is an easy out for thinking for yourself.

Reactions: blues4goose

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
No wonder these threads get closed, no reasonable discussion of what legislation or regulation might or might not be in the cards is possible once the government can never do any good Randian crowd jumps in. We don’t live in small Swiss Cantons in the 19th century. But even those might have had too much government for some.

LOL ... I love how you seem to always bring up Rand, even when what someone is saying is completely unrelated (and I'm not a devotee of AR...your perceptions aren't all that accurate).

You're also overreacting. I voiced my opinion, which I believe any look at history demonstrates...but you have every right to disagree...just don't start complaining about the discussion and pointing fingers about why threads get closed after you yourself have been engaging in it as much as anyone here.

Maybe read a whole book that you that might be disagreeable to your “worldview” every now and then. Quote mining the Internet is an easy out for thinking for yourself.

Maybe try not being so arrogant and presumptuous. I've read many books that don't match up entirely to my "worldview". But you apparently have no tolerance for anyone who sees things differently than you do. Maybe you're the one who needs to try reading something else.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Admittedly, we have all been skating on thin ice here (myself included) but if we don’t take it down a notch this thread may be headed for the chilly water.

Reactions: Akousticplyr
Status
Not open for further replies.