PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
So you're proposing a witches coven as a new federal agency?

It would be nothing new, but I guess it's about time they conduct their rituals openly instead of in dungeons, so sure...why not?
Orange Man Bad would have us except another Bureaucracy and these guys would know what good for us. I don’t know, might work. Probably not. But attacking the FDA is the equivalent to Blasphemy to these people. At least the FDA would get a break.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Orange Man Bad would have us except another Bureaucracy and these guys would know what good for us. I don’t know, might work. Probably not. But attacking the FDA is the equivalent to Blasphemy to these people. At least the FDA would get a break.

In addition to the general principle of not growing the squid, all I can imagine is that if you have a federal agency that exists only to regulate tobacco and nothing else, there's very little chance it would turn out better than leaving it with the FDA.

Also, at this point the FDA is really not the primary threat imo...it's the banning of internet and mail order that is a greater one. But time will tell.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
In addition to the general principle of not growing the squid, all I can imagine is that if you have a federal agency that exists only to regulate tobacco and nothing else, there's very little chance it would turn out better than leaving it with the FDA.

Also, at this point the FDA is really not the primary threat imo...it's the banning of internet and mail order that is a greater one. But time will tell.
That was accept not except. Grammar Guys, I didn’t catch it!

Reactions: dmcmtk

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never mind which president, the president's budget is always a weather balloon and so far as I remember going back decades is only cherry picked if used at all. This is not a comment on today's fevered politics but has been true of the most sedate administrations (you choose your concept of sedate). The phrase is often "dead on arrival," but that is misleading because the president's budget is never received as an active proposal, more as a "tell" on the person in office and his advisors. So, interesting about this budget and tobacco regulation, but understand the role of the document. It's what they call in the military his dream sheet.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So you guys think that an organization 100% hellbent on stopping tobacco use is going to be better than this being handled by the FDA?

You're tripping on some good shit.

This is an obvious pandering to the anti-tobacco movement.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I am glad that the issue is getting eyeballs in Washington. There seems to be an acknowledgement of over-reach. I see this as a positive step.

Reactions: jpberg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I am glad that the issue is getting eyeballs in Washington. There seems to be an acknowledgement of over-reach. I see this as a positive step.

I would like to believe that but I suspect just the opposite...especially given the way it's described in the OP link...namely that the motivation behind proposing this is an attitude that the FDA is moving too slow and doing too little.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would like to believe that but I suspect just the opposite...especially given the way it's described in the OP link...namely that the motivation behind proposing this is an attitude that the FDA is moving too slow and doing too little.
exactly.. it's obvious by the comments who politically supports the "ahem" author and who doesn't.
Because those who support him are blindly saying this is good.
Those with sense who actually read it know otherwise.

How can you not see that this is more anti-tobacco than letting the FDA handle it?
It has nothing to do with over-reach... the White House is not occupied by a conservative.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
How can you not see that this is more anti-tobacco than letting the FDA handle it?
It has nothing to do with over-reach... the White House is not occupied by a conservative.

Personally I'd agree with both of those statements, but now we're really skating on the political comments thin ice.

He doesn't suck blood tho

No it sucks money.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
We have good reason to be dubious. But it also may be that they are trying to take a more rational look at the issue of teen smoking. Pipe tobacco isn't exactly a gateway product. lol

None of this is linear. It's not like if you do X that the result will be Y. If you do X then there will be A, B, K, L and Y. People are too simplistic as relating to solutions.

Off my soapbox....

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
exactly.. it's obvious by the comments who politically supports the "ahem" author and who doesn't.
Because those who support him are blindly saying this is good.
Those with sense who actually read it know otherwise.

In actuality, Congress illegally handed over its duties to the FDA when it passed its obligation of tobacco regulation to them. The FDA should not have oversight of tobacco. Congress should. Trumps idea is good in the sense that he has a stance on getting it away from the FDA. Regardless, tobacco should be left alone by all those scoundrels. Alcohol certainly is. As long as revenue is collected.

Just say taxes! And congress will perk up.

Reactions: jpberg and BROBS

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I suspect it'll be like the DEA where they have total authority to do whatever they want and classify anything however they feel like.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
In actuality, Congress illegally handed over its duties to the FDA when it passed its obligation of tobacco regulation to them. The FDA should not have oversight of tobacco. Congress should. Trumps idea is good in the sense that he has a stance on getting it away from the FDA. Regardless, tobacco should be left alone by all those scoundrels. Alcohol certainly is. As long as revenue is collected.

Just say taxes! And congress will perk up.
You probably have a point there: I think the FDA is becoming way too powerful, so the executive might be trying to clip its overexpanding wings. Political manoeuvreing.

Reactions: BROBS

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Giuliani, a friend of Trump's, is a cigar smoker. My hope all along has been that Rudy is chirping in the president's ear regarding this or any other tobacco moves.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Giuliani, a friend of Trump's, is a cigar smoker. My hope all along has been that Rudy is chirping in the president's ear regarding this or any other tobacco moves.
Who knows? Relying on man for your freedoms are in contrast to this Constitutional Republic. I don’t expect Trump or anyone on the other side to save the day. I expect commerce to continue and I expect my risk in life to be left to me alone. The “Kids” argument is a fallacy. Its shifting responsibility from Parents to Government in my opinion. Kids want cigarettes and drugs. Pipe smoking isn’t instant gratification and soon neither will be cracking open a pack of smokes; too late there’s vapeing. Protectionism is a disease that is inherent in certain types of individuals, it seems to be running rampant in the water from city to city.

Reactions: olkofri
Status
Not open for further replies.