PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I ended up reaming my bowl the other day, out of ...well...no reason at all really. And after about 15 bowls, you don't even wanna know what the pipe cleaner looked like ....

But I'll be back to cake. If anything, the pipe will crack, and I can smoke a briar again.....😂

Thinking about grabbing my tub of Carter hall. That's how my cake got so huge on my Grabow. Dime size happens after about 3 smokes with CH. lol

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's all @cshubhra 's fault.
I'm not letting @cshubhra take credit blame for the translucent lunacy on this forum. I'm 99% sure I was the first one to ever bring up the term here, and as far as I know the first dumb enough to purchase one.

I just looked up the date on my original stock pics I saved when I bought it and it was April of 2021...so all of this utter stupidity is entirely my fault.

And this is how it all happened:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
OK, I managed to find the original thread where I brought up the question about translucent meers...a couple of weeks before I bought mine.

There were two other members at that time who commented in this thread that they had just recently purchased one...but they had not mentioned it on the forum. One of them was @alaskanpiper buddy I mentioned yesterday...and he told the story in this thread about dropping it from atop the freezer.

Also, Said Altinay posted in this thread explaining about translucent meerschaum and posted several pics showing the coloring development of his.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
And for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, below is the thread from @alaskanpiper buddy I mentioned yesterday who commissioned the Dall Sheep meer through Altinay, and carved by Kenan. It is quite impressive.

Reactions: TN Jed

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Honestly, I'd be afraid to knowingly buy one. Minerals with clear or translucent edges are often more fragile than those that are not.
PXL_20221211_012113704.jpg

You're right. My no name meer that's showing translucency, has a spot on it, that looks like it shattered on the shank. Almost like a moon crater. And this pipe has never been dropped.