PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thinking about I am more of a smoker verses a hobbyist so I will probably smoke many things you might described as total shit (Ship High In Transport) and providing it is a plug of some kind I am normally happy to puff along. The phrase 'refined taste' cannot be applied to me in any shape or form.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Thinking about I am more of a smoker verses a hobbyist so I will probably smoke many things you might described as total shit (Ship High In Transport) and providing it is a plug of some kind I am normally happy to puff along. The phrase 'refined taste' cannot be applied to me in any shape or form.
Say "Amen, Somebody!" How true it is of me as well. Here's to Low Brow, may we soil the beaches of Malibu and Cannes and everywhere else.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Wife purchased this for me probably 15 - 16 years ago. Guessing, no more than 50 smokes through this one...gonna give it some focus and see what transpires. Label inside the case indicates "IK" Meerschaum. Likely my wife purchased in Germany...it's a 9mm filtered pipe. IMG_0419.jpg

Reactions: didimauw

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I haven't noticed anything that would lead me to think it's any more fragile than my others, but then I haven't dropped it either. But I do recall that buddy of @alaskanpiper who also had one said he dropped it from the top of a refrigerator onto a hard floor and it didn't break.

And speaking of him, how's he doing @alaskanpiper ? Did he ever get the rest of the wild animal meer commissions done? That Dall sheep meer he had made was awesome! I seem to recall he said he was going to have a whole set of them made and I always wanted to see the rest of them. Hope he's doing well.

True story, and it lived to tell the tale. If I had to guess, I’d say translucent (if carved/finished correctly) could be more durable? I’d say to get it right, the carver is going to want it to be bulky enough to withstand heavy smoking to really bring out the color, while also giving it an incredibly smooth finish as any rusticating or relief carving would hide the wonder that is translucent Meer.

That’s actually the only pipe I ever really smoke out of anymore, and it’s infrequent at best. In the process of getting rid of the majority of them and almost all of my tobacco, but I’ll definitely be keeping everything from Altinay, including the Dall sheep pipe.

I never had the rest carved because things changed shortly after getting the sheep, but I will be digging up that thread, momentarily, to provide a sheepy update.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
True story, and it lived to tell the tale. If I had to guess, I’d say translucent (if carved/finished correctly) could be more durable? I’d say to get it right, the carver is going to want it to be bulky enough to withstand heavy smoking to really bring out the color, while also giving it an incredibly smooth finish as any rusticating or relief carving would hide the wonder that is translucent Meer.

That’s actually the only pipe I ever really smoke out of anymore, and it’s infrequent at best. In the process of getting rid of the majority of them and almost all of my tobacco, but I’ll definitely be keeping everything from Altinay, including the Dall sheep pipe.

I never had the rest carved because things changed shortly after getting the sheep, but I will be digging up that thread, momentarily, to provide a sheepy update.
Good to see you back BP...and glad to hear you are at least hanging on to the Dall sheep and the other Altinays, and still having the occasional bowl.

Reactions: BarrelProof

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
So from what I'm seeing they defiantly color differently than the normal meer's do. I like them but I'm not sure i like them for that price. I order an altinay that should be here Tuesday. I'll make a post and up date the coloring progress every so often on it.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I guess this is one? It's the only one I have with this speckled finish.

1910-20 meerschaum with orific amber stem, bone tenon.

8Kv7lRh.jpg

22uCg1E.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
I guess this is one? It's the only one I have with this speckled finish.

1910-20 meerschaum with orific amber stem, bone tenon.

8Kv7lRh.jpg

22uCg1E.jpg

This is a stunning example of a Van Cleef, I absolutely love the way the meerschaum is freckling!

- - -

@gervais Sorry about the delayed response. I lost count around 50 smokes. Somewhere around 70 smokes and smoking great with very little cleaning.View attachment 237937View attachment 237939View attachment 237940View attachment 237941

Michael - this pipe is coloring just wonderfully. The 'translucent' term seems to be a modern vernacular, I don't ever remember calling these as such. Either way, this is a gorgeous example of a 'translucent' meer!

Reactions: gervais and TN Jed