PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Anyone have one of these? Do they color any differently than standard meerschaum?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Looks white to me?
At first glance I thought the same, but looking closely there does seem to be a subtle difference...more shiny I suppose.
I would love to know, as I’ve only ever seen a meerschaum pipe titled as translucent on Altinay’s website.
I've only seen one other one on their site and they both sold rather quickly. They refer to it as rare translucent block. I'm imagining that the coloring properties might be different.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Yep. According to Altinay, it already has a pattern within the block that will color on its own like the photo @alaskanpiper posted. However, the inherent grain is different in all of them so you never know exactly how each one will turn out.

I bought one from Altinay a few weeks ago. I’ll start smoking it more and documenting the color change. I’m really interested to see how it turns out.

I’d post a photo right now but you can’t really tell from a picture what’s going on and I haven’t smoked it enough to get any of the pattern to start showing, yet.

bron340

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 16, 2019
Minot, ND
Yep. According to Altinay, it already has a pattern within the block that will color on its own like the photo @alaskanpiper posted. However, the inherent grain is different in all of them so you never know exactly how each one will turn out.

I bought one from Altinay a few weeks ago. I’ll start smoking it more and documenting the color change. I’m really interested to see how it turns out.

I’d post a photo right now but you can’t really tell from a picture what’s going on and I haven’t smoked it enough to get any of the pattern to start showing, yet.
I think you should take before and after photos. It would be interesting to see the coloring process.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In the pictures, you do know that the one on the bottom of each picture is just a reflection... right? puffy
Read the below thread first and then rethink it:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've never ever ever seen a description of a meerschaum say that it wasn't a block meerschaum. Nowhere have I ever seen one that said, "just a pressed piece of meerschaum. This is why it's cheap." It's not till someone gets it in hand and asks the forum, "why does my meerschaum smell like glue?"
Actually Altinay does specify press meerschaum for the bowls in some of the calabash pipes they have listed (see below)...so they are very honest and upfront about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.