PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
As some of you saw, I was interested in commissioning a carver to make a figural meerschaum pipe for me. I’ve wanted a Dall Sheep pipe for some time, but there isn’t really anything close to a realistic option available. There are rams, to be sure, but none of them are Dall rams.

One of the most challenging parts of this pipe was finding a carver who could pull off the horns which spiral away from the head and taper down to small tips. In fact, I contacted some 25 carvers with this design and was told that many of them couldn’t do it. I had several of them tell me it was impossible and the horns would break during the carving process.

Not one to accept being told no easily, I kept searching and contacting carvers. @hoosierpipeguy recommended I get in touch with @Said.ALTINAY to discuss the project. When I started speaking with him, he quickly pointed me to Kenan Kökbudak and told me that was definitely the carver I was looking for. After a quick look at some of Kenan’s work, it was clear he was the man for the task.

After a bit of back and forth with @Said.ALTINAY discussing the specifics of this pipe and the intricacies I hoped would be replicated, exchanging what now feels like several hundred photos, and a handful of questions both ways, the pipe began to take shape.

It’s not too often that I’m completely blown away by something as material as a pipe, but considering the inconceivable level of talent possessed by the man who carved it, that reaction was entirely reasonable.

I can’t begin to express how pleased I am with this result, and have decided to continue with Kenan by asking him to make a seven day set of figural meers, each depicting a different animal particularly important to me.

Without further ado, my new Dall Sheep ram, carved by Kenan Kökbudak:

723D3DB5-D2C7-4CCA-BA47-2623679C7ED6.jpeg

28344016-9A74-4F2B-8B78-FDD79A26F1B9.jpeg

31A21696-4325-4C38-81AE-2FD42018F683.jpeg

E06A0DFC-9290-4B39-B600-4354459448FB.jpeg

CB23706F-CDB1-4191-9038-14106E7E42DB.jpeg

1BC610E4-EE31-4FE0-87B9-ACD2FD6C40B2.jpeg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
As some of you saw, I was interested in commissioning a carver to make a figural meerschaum pipe for me. I’ve wanted a Dall Sheep pipe for some time, but there isn’t really anything close to a realistic option available. There are rams, to be sure, but none of them are Dall rams.

One of the most challenging parts of this pipe was finding a carver who could pull off the horns which spiral away from the head and taper down to small tips. In fact, I contacted some 25 carvers with this design and was told that many of them couldn’t do it. I had several of them tell me it was impossible and the horns would break during the carving process.

Not one to accept being told no easily, I kept searching and contacting carvers. @hoosierpipeguy recommended I get in touch with @Said.ALTINAY to discuss the project. When I started speaking with him, he quickly pointed me to Kenan Kökbudak and told me that was definitely the carver I was looking for. After a quick look at some of Kenan’s work, it was clear he was the man for the task.

After a bit of back and forth with @Said.ALTINAY discussing the specifics of this pipe and the intricacies I hoped would be replicated, exchanging what now feels like several hundred photos, and a handful of questions both ways, the pipe began to take shape.

It’s not too often that I’m completely blown away by something as material as a pipe, but considering the inconceivable level of talent possessed by the man who carved it, that reaction was entirely reasonable.

I can’t begin to express how pleased I am with this result, and have decided to continue with Kenan by asking him to make a seven day set of figural meers, each depicting a different animal particularly important to me.

Without further ado, my new Dall Sheep ram, carved by Kenan Kökbudak:

View attachment 70059

View attachment 70060

View attachment 70061

View attachment 70062

View attachment 70063

View attachment 70064
F'n spectacular! Couldn't be done, eh? Well, at least the naysayers were honest in their self-assessments. Better to pass on a job you don't feel will turn out satisfactory for both parties. Hope you post the rest of your set when they come in.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Beautiful...very realistic. I believe that's the same carver artist who carved Duane's skull (his meer skull, that is).

That must be a key aspect of his talent...realistic...life-like. Very much looking forward to seeing the next ones in the series!

Totally. Ultra-realistic was what I wanted and he’s absolutely nailed it. The second in the set will be a brown bear.