PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
To many, there are obviously different animals that more appropriately represent Alaska - salmon, moose, caribou, etc. However, for me, the Dall Sheep is the pinnacle of Alaskan wildlife. We're fortunate to be able to hunt them year after year with tags we get over the counter. In much of the rest of the country, sheep permits are highly coveted. Additionally, their habitat is both brutal and breathtaking.

Work took me outside of Alaska for a few years and we honestly thought we might not come back. I can't explain it, but the entire time I was gone, a part of me was missing. This is home. This is where I belong. Throughout my time away, all I wanted to do was get back to Alaska and chase Dall Sheep. I've never harvested one, either. For some reason or another, plans always seem to go sideways and it never comes together. I'm changing that this year come hell or high water.

To me, they represent true wilderness, survival, struggle, beauty, dedication, and completion. I could get a lot more into the symbolism I see with them and how they represent my life, some of the things I've been through, some of the things I still struggle with, etc.; but, that's for another time and place. During the time I was away from here, thinking about Dall Sheep gave me both the inspiration and motivation to get back.

Suffice to say the image of an old ram sunning on a rocky promontory in the alpine is about one of the most powerful things I've witnessed. When the time comes, I'm beyond positive that I'll struggle to pull the trigger. Mind you, when that tag is notched, this pipe will be christened.
They are certainly iconic for Alaska and it takes a hell of an effort even just to get to where they live, which is indeed some of the most spectacular scenery on earth. They are also some of the best tasting game meat on the planet, tasting much more like the finest of venison than any domestic breed of sheep.

Aside from possibly New Zealand Tahr, chasing Dall Sheep is THE most demanding hunting I've ever experienced, and I too have yet to knock one of my own down.

The Most difficult part for me is that there is no really effective way to train for it outside of intense hiking with a large pack. The endurance required and the muscle groups utilized are all encompassing. Side hilling, scree slopes, insane vertical incline, a heavy pack....it's got it all and you will use every muscle in your body right down to freakish little ankle muscles you didn't even know you had. Not to mention hauling around the unwieldy addition of what is very likely an insanely expensive firearm and scope. A treadmill and some weights are not even close to enough.

And even beyond that, it takes a serious mental and psychological commitment to continue at all costs. And should that falter, there is no cabin to run back to. No ride home. Only what is likely a 10-15 mile hike through steep terrain, terrible alder thickets, hoardes of mosquitoes, and shitty swamps. Add a little classic Alaskan late summer rain and wind and it can get unpleasant/dangerous very quickly.

Beyond that still, if you should be so lucky as to get within range of an animal who's entire purpose in life is to evade danger in unscalable terrain with no cover that you don't have a prayer of moving silently in, you then have the added difficulty of properly evaluating whether an animal is legal to shoot, which is possibly more difficult to accurately surmise than any animal out there.

AND should you get lucky enough to be confident in that decision, you will still have to make what will likely be a shot pushing 300 yards or more, on a steep incline, totally out of breath, and while your heart pounds with adrenaline.

Then your pack doubles in weight for the aforementioned hike out, often pushing 100lbs or more, and you now have the ethical and moral obligation to take care of that game meat, keeping it cool, dry, and safe with the second half of your hike out likely being in bear country and notoriously shitty weather.

Getting into "sheep shape" both mentally and physically, is a months/years long affair. In my opinion there is no animal more difficult animal to harvest in Alaska, and I'd put it up against very few others in the world.

Dalls-Sheep.jpg

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Exactly. That's why I'm down 22lbs in the last month and have logged nearly 100 miles in the same on a treadmill at 15% grade. Once trails start opening up, it's time to get after it. Although, the cross country skiing has been good for the lungs.
I was rocking 3 miles a day with a 35lb pack doing training loops on inclines and sidehills, even a little scree in the hills around my house. I was down 16lbs until my damn gout flared up for a friggin month. I've probably gained back a couple. But that has now receded and I'm back at it. Getting more serious diet-wise as well.

My neighbors probably thought I was crazy, going up and down the hills with a backpack full of Bitburger tall boys and deap sea fishing weights in the middle of winter :ROFLMAO:

A long road ahead still but I'll get there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They are certainly iconic for Alaska and it takes a hell of an effort even just to get to where they live, which is indeed some of the most spectacular scenery on earth. They are also some of the best tasting game meat on the planet, tasting much more like the finest of venison than any domestic breed of sheep.

Aside from possibly New Zealand Tahr, chasing Dall Sheep is THE most demanding hunting I've ever experienced, and I too have yet to knock one of my own down.

The Most difficult part for me is that there is no really effective way to train for it outside of intense hiking with a large pack. The endurance required and the muscle groups utilized are all encompassing. Side hilling, scree slopes, insane vertical incline, a heavy pack....it's got it all and you will use every muscle in your body right down to freakish little ankle muscles you didn't even know you had. Not to mention hauling around the unwieldy addition of what is very likely an insanely expensive firearm and scope. A treadmill and some weights are not even close to enough.

And even beyond that, it takes a serious mental and psychological commitment to continue at all costs. And should that falter, there is no cabin to run back to. No ride home. Only what is likely a 10-15 mile hike through steep terrain, terrible alder thickets, hoardes of mosquitoes, and shitty swamps. Add a little classic Alaskan late summer rain and wind and it can get unpleasant/dangerous very quickly.

Beyond that still, if you should be so lucky as to get within range of an animal who's entire purpose in life is to evade danger in unscalable terrain with no cover that you don't have a prayer of moving silently in, you then have the added difficulty of properly evaluating whether an animal is legal to shoot, which is possibly more difficult to accurately surmise than any animal out there.

AND should you get lucky enough to be confident in that decision, you will still have to make what will likely be a shot pushing 300 yards or more, on a steep incline, totally out of breath, and while your heart pounds with adrenaline.

Then your pack doubles in weight for the aforementioned hike out, often pushing 100lbs or more, and you now have the ethical and moral obligation to take care of that game meat, keeping it cool, dry, and safe with the second half of your hike out likely being in bear country and notoriously shitty weather.

Getting into "sheep shape" both mentally and physically, is a months/years long affair. In my opinion there is no animal more difficult animal to harvest in Alaska, and I'd put it up against very few others in the world.

Dalls-Sheep.jpg
Thanks...that's all I need to know.

I'll be hunting my meat in the usual place:

proxy-image

zacwsec

Lurker
May 20, 2021
What was you experience with Kenan? I just commissioned him to make a pipe of my dog a couple of days ago. What method did you use to contact him? I found, what I assume is actually Kenan, on Facebook and that's how we have communicated. How was the rest of the transaction (payment, shipping, etc)?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
What was you experience with Kenan? I just commissioned him to make a pipe of my dog a couple of days ago. What method did you use to contact him? I found, what I assume is actually Kenan, on Facebook and that's how we have communicated. How was the rest of the transaction (payment, shipping, etc)?

@Said.ALTINAY facilitated for me through Instagram. I was able to see photos there, send reference photos, discuss the project, and then ultimately pay through his website. Everything went 100% smoothly.