PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Something like 95% of new AND antique animal meerschaums I see are lacking something. I can't always pin down what.

This lacks nothing to my eyes. Absolutely spectacular. Congratulations, in my opinion you got just the right carver, and I can't wait to see what else he makes for you. Which other animals are planned?

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
As some of you saw, I was interested in commissioning a carver to make a figural meerschaum pipe for me. I’ve wanted a Dall Sheep pipe for some time, but there isn’t really anything close to a realistic option available. There are rams, to be sure, but none of them are Dall rams.

One of the most challenging parts of this pipe was finding a carver who could pull off the horns which spiral away from the head and taper down to small tips. In fact, I contacted some 25 carvers with this design and was told that many of them couldn’t do it. I had several of them tell me it was impossible and the horns would break during the carving process.

Not one to accept being told no easily, I kept searching and contacting carvers. @hoosierpipeguy recommended I get in touch with @Said.ALTINAY to discuss the project. When I started speaking with him, he quickly pointed me to Kenan Kökbudak and told me that was definitely the carver I was looking for. After a quick look at some of Kenan’s work, it was clear he was the man for the task.

After a bit of back and forth with @Said.ALTINAY discussing the specifics of this pipe and the intricacies I hoped would be replicated, exchanging what now feels like several hundred photos, and a handful of questions both ways, the pipe began to take shape.

It’s not too often that I’m completely blown away by something as material as a pipe, but considering the inconceivable level of talent possessed by the man who carved it, that reaction was entirely reasonable.

I can’t begin to express how pleased I am with this result, and have decided to continue with Kenan by asking him to make a seven day set of figural meers, each depicting a different animal particularly important to me.

Without further ado, my new Dall Sheep ram, carved by Kenan Kökbudak:

View attachment 70059

View attachment 70060

View attachment 70061

View attachment 70062

View attachment 70063

View attachment 70064
Absolutely Stunning!

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
As some of you saw, I was interested in commissioning a carver to make a figural meerschaum pipe for me. I’ve wanted a Dall Sheep pipe for some time, but there isn’t really anything close to a realistic option available. There are rams, to be sure, but none of them are Dall rams.

One of the most challenging parts of this pipe was finding a carver who could pull off the horns which spiral away from the head and taper down to small tips. In fact, I contacted some 25 carvers with this design and was told that many of them couldn’t do it. I had several of them tell me it was impossible and the horns would break during the carving process.

Not one to accept being told no easily, I kept searching and contacting carvers. @hoosierpipeguy recommended I get in touch with @Said.ALTINAY to discuss the project. When I started speaking with him, he quickly pointed me to Kenan Kökbudak and told me that was definitely the carver I was looking for. After a quick look at some of Kenan’s work, it was clear he was the man for the task.

After a bit of back and forth with @Said.ALTINAY discussing the specifics of this pipe and the intricacies I hoped would be replicated, exchanging what now feels like several hundred photos, and a handful of questions both ways, the pipe began to take shape.

It’s not too often that I’m completely blown away by something as material as a pipe, but considering the inconceivable level of talent possessed by the man who carved it, that reaction was entirely reasonable.

I can’t begin to express how pleased I am with this result, and have decided to continue with Kenan by asking him to make a seven day set of figural meers, each depicting a different animal particularly important to me.

View attachment 70059

View attachment 70060

View attachment 70061

View attachment 70062

View attachment 70063

View attachment 70064
epic

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh c’mon, how many bad ones did you see before finding that one? you’re just showing off. ? It’s ok I would too. I love that pipe.
It's carver has a surprisingly high number of anatomically correct skulls. Yanik does a good one, but his look too Evil Dead versus realistic. He can do one hell of a nude though.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.

View attachment 70059

View attachment 70060

View attachment 70061

View attachment 70062

View attachment 70063

View attachment 70064
Great piece of work.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I wanted to get back to this thread because, coincidentally, I happened to find myself back on this forum within 24 hours of also finding out I’d been accepted into a graduate program doing research on Dall Sheep for the state and the feds.

I still haven’t smoked this pipe because, quite honestly, I haven’t had a good enough reason. I did take it with me on a sheep hunt this past season, hoping to christen it alongside a notched tag. That was not the case and so it remains, virgin as ever.

If I can’t notch a tag between now and when I graduate with this next degree, I’m thinking a successful defense will be appropriate grounds upon which to do the dirty deed. Hard to think I was just starting my BS three years ago and now this is happening in the fall.

I hope you’ve all been well!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Oh no something that nice, I'd never smoke either honestly! That's why I like em cheap! My Altinay that I'm spending a year with, is actually tied for the most money spent on a pipe yet! Lol 😵‍💫

And his pipes are well worth it. Hands down my favorite Meer.

I’m paying attention to your project this year and was glad to see you didn’t switch from the Altinay.

• Love
Reactions: didimauw

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Isn't the ram a Kenan, and not an Altinay?

It is, yes. But I had to go through Altinay to get it and it was on his website, with his logo, and all of that jazz, so I’m putting the credit where it appeared due. Also, if anyone else wanted to commission one, that’d be the route, at least as far as it was for me.

And, one last note - that statement was a broad one. Sorry if it didn’t read that way. The ram is obviously my favorite Meer, but I meant Altinay’s stuff, in general, is my favorite.

Edited to add - I also recognize a lot may have changed in the last few years. This is not to take credit from Kenan - I believe I mentioned him at the outset. Just that when I had it carved, I dealt almost exclusively with Altinay because I believe there was a language barrier with Kenan (at the time).