PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I believe the flake is sliced plug. If I could cellar everything in plug form I would be happy with that.

I'll have to get some of the plug but at least I'm probably not missing much in terms of taste.

Plugs are still a little weird/tricky for me though. I can't seem to get them going as well as the flakes.

Most reviewers seem to give plugs a very slight advantage in their ratings whereas I'm a little backwards for now. I think more practice might turn things around.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Alright, so far here's what I've got going. Is there any overlap/redundancy? Not just multiple blends of the same genre, but blends that are so similar they're hard to tell apart?

VA Flake
In My Possession: Orlik Golden Sliced, GLP Union Square
In The Mail: SG FVF, C&D Carolina Red, C&D Opening Night, Capstan Blue, MacB HH Pure VA, Peterson (Dunhill) Flake

VaPer
In My Possession: Escudo, Reiner LGF, RO Fire Storm, C&D Bayou Morning, SG Cabbie's, Rattray Marlin Flake

Other
In My Possession: GLP Embarcadero, C&D Haunted Bookshop
I really can't recommend getting some SG St James Flake to try enough.

It's one of those blends (along with GH&C Dark Flake Unscented) I got a little to try and quickly found myself ordering boxes of.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'll have to get some of the plug but at least I'm probably not missing much in terms of taste.

Plugs are still a little weird/tricky for me though. I can't seem to get them going as well as the flakes.

Most reviewers seem to give plugs a very slight advantage in their ratings whereas I'm a little backwards for now. I think more practice might turn things around.

The flavor profile is the same or at least, very similar. The intensity of the flavors seems to be greater. I've been smoking some SG FVP. It is like cutting up an old, thick leather belt. I cut slices (as best I can) and the either kind of chop it up or use a scissors to cut it into as small cubes as I can. It is a bit of a PITA to get going but once it's stoked good, smoking Nirvana.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I bought several pounds of Union Square in 2009. I figured if Greg Pease was going to introduce a Virginia Flake, it would be a good one. For the most part, I let it sit until this year. I was wrong. It isn't good, it is superb!
I'm fortunate enough to have put away enough McClelland Virginias over the years that I'm pretty secure there. I find Gawith Golden Glow to be quite good. Right now I'm enjoying Gawith Kendal Plug. It's certainly scrathing the itch. There are so many but I get tired of chasing them the last few years. My long term goal was to not need to buy tobacco after I retired and I met that goal pretty much. Fortunate to have a local shop with a pretty decent stock when the mood strikes.

Mike S.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
@hoosierpipeguy my Union Square tin arrived today and I’m enjoying some on the porch right now. Fantastic stuff!

I live in Oakland and have spent some time in Union Square. Once two hummingbirds had sex right in front of my face while I sat in that square. In mid air. Pretty wild

That's awesome Johnny. I think you'll find it gets significantly better after the tin has been open for a week or three.

Johnny, please don't listen to hoosier at all on this matter.

Opening your tins for an extended period have NO effect whatsoever on hummingbird sex. :rolleyes:

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
If you're a fan of OGS, I think the odds are very good that you'll enjoy Stokkebye Navy Flake. The Navy is a bit heavier on the Perique than OGS, but still on the light side I'd say where it only adds a bit of a tickle. They have a very similar topping, which I believe is bergamot. Both flakes tin/bag notes remind me of Earl Grey tea-- delicious.

It helps that the Navy Flake is extremely affordable in bulk, I've smoked through 2 oz of the Navy and a 50g tin of the OGS in the last 2 months, good stuff.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I’m honestly afraid of buying Union Square as I have had 2 tins with mould. If you do get this one, crack the tin and jar it up as soon as you get it and check if there is any mould. If not great! If so get a replacement tin before you put a few years of age on it and find out later.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa

It is a bit of work like Hoosier stated. I cout, dice dry a plug in its entirety and jar it, pull from there. It is SJF with a slightly deeper, aged taste...imo. Some guy on FB was selling some a year ago and I bought 2 of them from him.

Reactions: Saintwilliam

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
Also, I've seen more than a couple instances where folks say they've tried countless VAs and in the end they just stick with Orlik Golden Sliced, ultimately concluding there's really no reason to shop around because OGS is the champ.

Any truth to that?

From what I've been reading, the quality/depth of taste of VAs can depend greatly on smoking technique. I still don't taste the 'sweetness' in the red Virginias in Embarcadero, but I've figured out how to smoke it without getting tongue bite. I can imagine how most VAs could taste the same if someone's technique was a bit off.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I really can't recommend getting some SG St James Flake to try enough.

It's one of those blends (along with GH&C Dark Flake Unscented) I got a little to try and quickly found myself ordering boxes of.

This and Best Brown Flake are on the top of my wishlist but not available anywhere currently :(

Jun 9, 2018
England
JF Germain's - Brown Flake
JF Germain's - Medium Flake
Gawith Hoggarth - Kendal Deluxe XXX Twist
Gawith Hoggarth - Westmorland Slices
Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Plug
Samuel Gawith - Kendal Plug
Charatan - Flake

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Good news and bad news here. As soon as you smoke the SJF, you'll kick yourself for having not order the 250 gr box. ?

You're going to be the death of my bank account.
Haha just circled back and ordered the 250g SJF ?

But the good news is I have enough tobacco now to last me a very, very long time since I only smoke 2 bowls a day on average.

SmokingPipes also recently awarded me a badge for ordering 20+ different tobaccos. I guess I officially have a problem.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
VA flakes can bite me sometimes, or I don't always get alot of flavor. I have slot of Xmas cheer cellared but rarely smoke it because of that. Veermaster is always very reliable to me with a nice flavor and no bite. And it's often available.

Status
Not open for further replies.