PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
G&H No. 7 Broken Flake... has burley and they say Kentucky but with the sauce I can’t tell.

@hoosierpipeguy my Union Square tin arrived today and I’m enjoying some on the porch right now. Fantastic stuff!

I live in Oakland and have spent some time in Union Square. Once two hummingbirds had sex right in front of my face while I sat in that square. In mid air. Pretty wild
That’s hot bro

• Haha
Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
@hoosierpipeguy my Union Square tin arrived today and I’m enjoying some on the porch right now. Fantastic stuff!

I live in Oakland and have spent some time in Union Square. Once two hummingbirds had sex right in front of my face while I sat in that square. In mid air. Pretty wild

That's awesome Johnny. I think you'll find it gets significantly better after the tin has been open for a week or three.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Is the flake just sliced plug or is there some small difference? I know the tin flake and bulk flake are the same.

If the flake is just sliced plug I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless aging is involved end even then it might be difficult.
I believe the flake is sliced plug. If I could cellar everything in plug form I would be happy with that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Interesting. What do you think changes about it in that time?

I think there is an explanation with that whole aerobic/anerobic thingie. I can just say from personal experience most blends seen to improve from cracking the tin to a week or two later. I've found this to be evident with Virginia dominant blends. I've also found it seems to happen more with GLP and C&D products than others. It's so obvious to me, I haven't pondered the scientific reason, I just accept it as fact and act accordingly.

With that said, who knows, it could be my imagination. The sense of taste sure it's a weird one at times.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think there is an explanation with that whole aerobic/anerobic thingie. I can just say from personal experience most blends seen to improve from cracking the tin to a week or two later. I've found this to be evident with Virginia dominant blends. I've also found it seems to happen more with GLP and C&D products than others. It's so obvious to me, I haven't pondered the scientific reason, I just accept it as fact and act accordingly.

With that said, who knows, it could be my imagination. The sense of taste sure it's a weird one at times.
That and slight evaporation of water content from opening the tin can bring out more of the flavor.

Reactions: BROBS

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

Thanks! As someone who just tries Virginias (mostly unsuccessfully) intermittently, I hadn't heard that about them changing for the better after a week or two so it's good to know. Most of what I've read about is the long term changes. One of these days I'll have to buy some old leaf and give it a go, to see how much different it is but I'll now also try cracking a newer tin before trying it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
One of these days I'll have to buy some old leaf and give it a go, to see how much different it is but I'll now also try cracking a newer tin before trying it.

You still need to try it fresh I'd say. Not every blend gets better with a lot of age or even just sitting for a couple week after opening. But even for the one's that do, the changes won't mean as much to you if you don't have anything to compare it against. Comparing old vs new is half the fun.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I always put tobacco into a jar as soon as I open a new tin. Am I doing that wrong?

No, that's what many of us do, especially with the rectangular tins. I'll keep McClelland in the tins because they're fairly well sealed with the plastic top and lined can.

I also feel that many of today's tobacco is packaged "young" and cracking the tin for a few weeks allows residual ammonia to dissipate.

Reactions: wooooo and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You still need to try it fresh I'd say. Not every blend gets better with a lot of age or even just sitting for a couple week after opening. But even for the one's that do, the changes won't mean as much to you if you don't have anything to compare it against. Comparing old vs new is half the fun.
LISTEN TO SOCRATES, DAMMIT

Reactions: tnfan

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA

I'm with hoosier - whatever the chemistry mechanism, something similar happens with red wines. It is well known that the wine flavor improves once you pull the cork and let the wine sit and air out for 20 minutes or so. Some fanciers use decanters for the same reason.

It is also well known that plain old water when freshly boiled tastes pretty flat, presumably because air (oxygen, nitrogen, CO2, etc) has been boiled out. I remember, as a kid, when pineapple juice came in big cans: to help the flavor instructions were to pour out a glass of the juice and pour it back and forth with another glass. It sure made a difference.

hp
les

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I have a lot of Va flakes in the cellar, most of which I haven’t tried yet.

The ones I have tried and that I can recommend because they’re available include OGS, Amphora Yellow Pouch, Union Square, Opening Night. I guess Dunhill Original Flake is still available from Peterson. I also like Capstan’s blue and Yellow tin Vas.

Do the PS Navy and Twist flakes qualify for this discussion, cause I like them. Old Gowrie is pretty darn good, too.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Do the PS Navy and Twist flakes qualify for this discussion, cause I like them. Old Gowrie is pretty darn good, too.

Yeah man, feel free to mention top shelf VaPers, Navys, Twists too. I started this thread and I say it's fine. I'm into those too, and they're certainly related.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Alright, so far here's what I've got going. Is there any overlap/redundancy? Not just multiple blends of the same genre, but blends that are so similar they're hard to tell apart?

VA Flake
In My Possession: Orlik Golden Sliced, GLP Union Square
In The Mail: SG FVF, C&D Carolina Red, C&D Opening Night, Capstan Blue, MacB HH Pure VA, Peterson (Dunhill) Flake

VaPer
In My Possession: Escudo, Reiner LGF, RO Fire Storm, C&D Bayou Morning, SG Cabbie's, Rattray Marlin Flake

Other
In My Possession: GLP Embarcadero, C&D Haunted Bookshop

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Also, I've seen more than a couple instances where folks say they've tried countless VAs and in the end they just stick with Orlik Golden Sliced, ultimately concluding there's really no reason to shop around because OGS is the champ.

Any truth to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.