PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Which are your absolute best of the best, lights out, award winning, to die for, etc? Broken flakes are aceptable too.

Ideally looking for things one can still find in shops from time to time, but feel free to list those that are out of production too if you feel they are worthy.

I don't have enough experience to actually name anything myself, but I will tell you I've smoked and enjoyed SG FVF, Reiner LGF/71, Orlik Golden Sliced, and I just received a 100g tin of Marlin Flake that I haven't opened. But yeah, I don't feel qualified to officially call any of those best of the best sine that is literally all I've ever smoked in the VA flake (VA based) category.

C&D Carolina Red Flake
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Peterson Flake
Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake
Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia
Capstan Blue
Stokkebye Luxury twist

Here's a good start puffy . These are all available on a regular basis. There are some "Unicorns" that are amazing but why deal with futility?

Okay, okay:

Esoterica Peacehaven
McClelland Red and Black
McCranies Red Flake. :)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't consider Reiner LGF to be a Virginia Flake. It is a flake that has a fair amount of Virginia in it. It also has a heavy influence of Perique and Burley. If you wish to consider it a Virginia Flake, have a happy. However, for conversation purposes, that doesn't make sense.

There are 3 categories for Va Flake I think. Out of Production such as McClelland and Klondike Gold. In production but very difficult to obtain such as Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake. Then there are those that are good and available at about any time. GLP Union Square and Orlik Golden Golden Sliced. The latter has a sprinkling of perique but not enough to consider it a VaPer IMHO.

Among those in production and difficult to get, my favorites are F&T CVP, CBP, Vintage and Special Brown Flake. I like most of the Wessex Virginia Flakes. Astley's 44 and 109 are excellent. 109 can be found fairly regularly, 44 goes off the shelf in a blink of an eye. But if you are diligent, you'll get some. Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake. Vauen No. 14 Virginia Flake is a superb milder blend that I like early in the day. J.F. Germain Rich Dark Flake is superb but is not sold in the US. The C&D Small Batch Carolina Red Virginia Flake is excellent.

Among those I cellar and are readily available include GLP Union Square (excellent, I have no idea why this flies so under the radar), C&D Opening Night, Dan Hamborger Veermeister, Orlik Golden Sliced. HU Haymaker and Sunset.
Capstan Gold and Blue and Aylesbury Classic Flake (formerly Luxury Flake). For a really good value blend, try Newminster 400 Supreme Flake. Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia Flake is superb IMHO and is value priced. Almost always available. I also really like Peretti Boston Slices, a lighter colored Va Flake.

Those are most of my picks. I cellar all of these to varying degrees. 75% of my pipe smoking is Virginia Flakes.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Thanks all. I appreciate the folks coming in and just giving their favorite and admitting limited experience (just like myself), but I especially appreciate the long time smokers sharing their knowledge!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't consider Reiner LGF to be a Virginia Flake. It is a flake that has a fair amount of Virginia in it. It also has a heavy influence of Perique and Burley. If you wish to consider it a Virginia Flake, have a happy. However, for conversation purposes, that doesn't make sense.

I understand that LGF has burley in it but isn't it considered a VaPer? I'm not sure the OP meant strictly VA flakes but also VA based which, to me, could include VaPers.

I don't know the % VA LGF contains so if anyone knows please post.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I understand that LGF has burley in it but isn't it considered a VaPer? I'm not sure the OP meant strictly VA flakes but also VA based which, to me, could include VaPers.

Yes in my OP I do mention that I'm talking VA-based flakes (not strictly VA), but to be fair the title of the thread simply says VA flakes. No biggie. Happy to hear about it all.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I don't know the % VA LGF contains so if anyone knows please post.

I don't really know what it is considered. To me, this blend has a very unique flavor. I personally think it tastes more like a VaBur than a VaPer. The Perique is rather muted and complimentary. I like this blend a lot but I don't see it being classified as a Virginia Flake or a VaPer. That comes from my own tasting experience.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
John Aylesbury Flake Virginia is fantastic IMO. More so than their Classic Flake IMO.Like some other ones fresh it is so-so but with 2+ years on it I think it is a hidden gem.

Reactions: briarbuck

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't really know what it is considered. To me, this blend has a very unique flavor. I personally think it tastes more like a VaBur than a VaPer. The Perique is rather muted and complimentary. I like this blend a lot but I don't see it being classified as a Virginia Flake or a VaPer. That comes from my own tasting experience.

I've not tried it but it's high on my list to try and am now more curious than ever.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Hoosier and I might just have the same taste buds. My favorites were all mentioned by him already: Union Square, Opening Night, F&T's Special Brown Flake, and SG's FVF.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yes in my OP I do mention that I'm talking VA-based flakes (not strictly VA), but to be fair the title of the thread simply says VA flakes. No biggie. Happy to hear about it all.

Following the guild lines (a little bit loosely) of your OP, here is what I like (but not necessarily VA flake by definition):

Sutliff Sweet VA : Not top shelf but readily available. This is a simple but good VA broken flake. This is my go to "don't care just want something I know I'll enjoy" smoke.

SG St James Flake : In stock about 50% of the time, This is an excellent wonderful VaPer.

GH&C Dark Flake Unscented : Also in stock about 50% of the time. This is a very powerful and tasty VaBur.

I have several others that I've yet to try but since I haven't yet I can't really speak to them yet.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner
Status
Not open for further replies.