PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Surprise only one mention of this thus far (s/o @alaskanpiper) but the only VA I truly loved...

UyUjnhOl.jpg

... Although from time to time I'm known to stray with a little Christmas Cheer or Oriental No. 8 ?

Reactions: python
Oct 7, 2016
You can spend a lot of money chasing “top shelf” Virginias. Which really mean, in today’s non McClelland world, “top sauced.” Or you can buy some Sutliff 507 C, let it age for about six months, and have a damn fine straight Virginia Flake. Give it two years plus, and it is top shelf.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Surprise only one mention of this thus far (s/o @alaskanpiper) but the only VA I truly loved...

UyUjnhOl.jpg

... Although from time to time I'm known to stray with a little Christmas Cheer or Oriental No. 8 ?

I didn't mention it because it is out of production. I didn't think listing out of production blends to folks newer to and looking for Virginia Flakes would be very helpful.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Following the guild lines (a little bit loosely) of your OP, here is what I like (but not necessarily VA flake by definition):

Sutliff Sweet VA : Not top shelf but readily available. This is a simple but good VA broken flake. This is my go to "don't care just want something I know I'll enjoy" smoke.

SG St James Flake : In stock about 50% of the time, This is an excellent wonderful VaPer.

GH&C Dark Flake Unscented : Also in stock about 50% of the time. This is a very powerful and tasty VaBur.

I have several others that I've yet to try but since I haven't yet I can't really speak to them yet.

Their13003 SJ Plug is awesome as well.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Yeah, I use a shipping buddy. I send a lot of Eso across the pond. Gives me access to everything plus some original Troost Slices etc...

Reactions: BROBS

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Their SJ Plug is awesome as well.

Is the flake just sliced plug or is there some small difference? I know the tin flake and bulk flake are the same.

If the flake is just sliced plug I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless aging is involved end even then it might be difficult.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah, I use a shipping buddy. I send a lot of Eso across the pond. Gives me access to everything plus some original Troost Slices etc...
I was given a sample of 70s troost slices and it was superb. Without a doubt one of the best tobaccos I have ever smoked.

Reactions: 3rdguy

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been really enjoying Comoy's Cask #4. It is readily available and a bargain.

It's listed as a Va/Per, but like OGS, I'll be damned if I can taste any perique. I'm sure it's an influence but far from "in your face".

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Marlin Flake is one of my top blends, but it has a good amount of perique and cavendish in it, but to me it’s a VaPer and not what I think of when I hear “Virginia Flake.” To me it tastes like someone followed a pumpkin bread recipe but swapped out the pumpkin for prunes and figs, but YMMV.

For proper Va flakes, I’ll add to the recommendations of Capstan, Union Square, OGS, and HH Pure Virginia. A sleeper blend that I really like (especially when it gets 3+ years of age) is Mac Baren Virginia Flake.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I love Va Flakes and they’re about 80% of my cellar. I like any number of Va flakes across brand lines. But FVF still stands out to me as the best. Others In no order:
F&T multiple flakes stick out
Macb HH Pure Va,
Mcclelland ugh.

Reactions: sandollars
Status
Not open for further replies.