PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I used Google as well, so the doesn't bother me. It's really not mobile friendly though. The text size appears to be about double what it previously was & that makes it a poor for for a smaller screen.

So long as the information is still there, all good but if you'd shown me both & asked me which was the earlier version I'd have guessed wrong.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
What a mess. I've been trying to pull up Pease blends and so far I only get 8 blends, 7 of which are Drucquer. Certainly not very intuitive. I'll admit that at 59 years old I'm not the best with technology, but this is a major fail.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72
Aug 1, 2012
I don’t think they’re worthless, just more geeky and more accepting of technology changes. Just look to see what age groups lines up to replace a perfectly good phone with the latest release.
I thought your response with the millennial reference was pretty funny. Nah there were just a couple posters who seemed serious. Personally I work to keep ahead with tech even though I'm a generation back from the millennials. The funniest thing is that my 76 year old mum and the wifey's 90 year old grandma both are nearly as tech savvy as I am. Sadly we're all more competent with it than the millennials of the family. ?

Aug 1, 2012
What a mess. I've been trying to pull up Pease blends and so far I only get 8 blends, 7 of which are Drucquer. Certainly not very intuitive. I'll admit that at 59 years old I'm not the best with technology, but this is a major fail.
So I just used Google. I typed the simple search terms "tobaccoreviews pease" and got the tobaccoreviews site where they list 73 blends...all by G. L. Pease. It took less than 10 seconds.

Aug 1, 2012
The thing that makes me laugh about this is it is pretty much the same interface as a 1995-2000-ish library computer. It requires you to be precise with your search terms. For example, if you want to find blends from Samuel Gawith, you can't just type Gawith. That leads me to believe that the software is actually quite a bit older than most of us realize.

That aside, it's always been hard to navigate. That's why most of us probably used Google to find things on the site already. This is just a different kind of hard to navigate that those of us who grew up with DOS and Windows 3.1 are more used to.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Had to see for myself and it is truly awful. Does not mesh well with a mobile device as the size is too large. When perusing blends, it only shows 10 at a time on the screen (pet peeve of mine on any website).

I sure hope no one got paid for this - it is harder to navigate and I am less likely to spend time on the website. I can still access specific blend reviews via Google, so I can use it for what I need in a pinch, but this is a big fail. It looks like their development team is working backwards - taking something that worked well and, well, what is the opposite of "streamlining?"

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The old site did not permit minors access and required users to affirm that they were at least 18 years old. So I guess Kretek’s lawyers decided that this was unnecessary; or the designer screwed up. Given the impressive mediocrity of the new site I’ll hazard a guess it’s the latter. (Plus I’ve yet to meet an attorney who suggested you jettison a cheap and easy shield against potential liabilities)

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The old site did not permit minors access and required users to affirm that they were at least 18 years old. So I guess Kretek’s lawyers decided that this was unnecessary; or the designer screwed up. Given the impressive mediocrity of the new site I’ll hazard a guess it’s the latter. (Plus I’ve yet to meet an attorney who suggested you jettison a cheap and easy shield against potential liabilities)
Well, that is there now.

Reactions: JOHN72

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Actually, it would seem that there is some more granularity to the searches; however you have to navigate a few more steps than previously. Some of the text boxes have drop down menus, some don’t.

So for example, under Search, Advanced, Blended By, “Pease” yields 96 blends. Some of the terms aren’t necessarily intuitive. Drop downs would probably help for some of those terms, so people could actually see the items they want to select.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
They took out the alphabetical arranged database ... that sucks. If I didn't know exactly how a blend was named or even spelled, I would find it manually. This is going to be a mess .. it looks pretty but what's the point if you can't get what you need out of it..

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
So I just used Google. I typed the simple search terms "tobaccoreviews pease" and got the tobaccoreviews site where they list 73 blends...all by G. L. Pease. It took less than 10 seconds.
Fair enough, but why produce something that's crap ? If you're going to phone it in, maybe you need a new career. Guess I'm just tired of the mediocrity that's pretty widespread over the internet. Rant over. ;)

Aug 1, 2012
Fair enough, but why produce something that's crap ? If you're going to phone it in, maybe you need a new career. Guess I'm just tired of the mediocrity that's pretty widespread over the internet. Rant over. ;)
Honestly, you could make the same claim about our beloved Pipesmagazine.com search engine which is also crap. Same goes for every site other than Google...or your preferred search engine. It's the nature of the beast sadly. A global meta-search will be more likely to turn out an better answer than the search engine designed by Roy the programmer. The last tobaccoreviews search engine was crap. The new one is crap. There is nothing new under the sun.

Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tested the search engine and on every search I got what I wanted within 3 letters every time. I went to brands and that showed up in 4 letters or so.
I am not computer savvy anymore. Once Windows XP was taken down, I became a moron on my computers. I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this new version of TR. I figured out the stuff I normally look for in just a few clicks. If I can do that then anyone complaining about the new version of TR, might want to get your brain a tune up.
If you would like a lesson on how it works, I only charge 100.00 an hour. The first ten minutes will be spent teaching you and then the next 50 minutes will be used to bullshit and talk about tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.