PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Were you using your screen name or your e-mail address? Because I had the same problem after I reset my password, but I was trying to log in with my username. When I instead used my e-mail address, it worked.
I used both.

In fact, I have had this exact same problem before in one of my WordPress migrations (in my UAT Environment though!).

I'll try again tonight and give them time to work on it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thanks. Your initial posts made it sound like you were speaking on behalf of TR.com and I'm confused why you did that.

Looks like there's a new forum there as well.
Jeremy is the CEO of the company that has owned tobacco reviews for over a year. I was speaking to his intentions to not censor the content until he decided if he wanted to comment here. We talk often, but Jeremy is an open book. If people have questions about the site, he is always willing to answer them. I never said that I was associated with them, just a user explaining what I know of the changes from asking.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thanks. Your initial posts made it sound like you were speaking on behalf of TR.com and I'm confused why you did that.

Looks like there's a new forum there as well.
I also went through my posts. I have no idea when you think I spoke for them. I said "they" every time. In reference to debugging and slowness issues, this was taken directly from the admin in their new forum. It was public information over there.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm going to take a contrarian view to the dominant tone of this thread. Tobaccoreviews.com has been the red headed stepchild of the pipe world for a number of years. None of the prior owners made any significant investment of time or money to maintain and improve the site. Now somebody's doing it and all I see are conspiracy theories and moaning because the site migration hit a few bumps in the road.

As far as conspiracy theories are concerned the website has been languishing for over a decade; who exactly did you think was going to put in the money to fix it? Some disinterested party with no ties to the pipe tobacco world? What you call a conflict of interest I call a vested interest in the site's continued existence and viability. As for a bumpy migration, I've been to this rodeo many times before and if the worst that happens is a day or two of outages that's trivial. Could more planning have avoided it? Probably, but migrations by their nature are riddled with problems (having worked with a number of consultants in this field personally I think it's a feature not a bug). This is why most vendors don't cap their charges, and how they make the big bucks; it's like getting in a taxi and riding around for an undetermined time and destination while the meter is running. But that's another subject.

In the end who really cares if it takes a few days to sort this out. Hell, the migration of this website to the new platform was not without hiccups. That's just the way it often works. To say a problem is avoidable is to say the obvious; most problems are avoidable in retrospect and yet the world keeps experiencing problems. No lives are lost here, no-one here has money at stake; get over it. That's my rant for the day.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've been reading the post and wanted to chime in on the revamp of TObaccoreviews.com as the CEO over all the companies mentioned in various comments, etc; First, thank you for being part of the site and caring enough to comment, good or bad. There is/was things we could have done better/different int he transitions, the main thing to remember is that we are working 24/7 on it as I type to get it 100% correct. The code behind the site hadn't been updated probably since it was created and has not been an easy undertaking (fact, not excuse). We wanted to update it, upgrade it and bring further content for everyone to enjoy. We could not transfer passwords, as they are hidden, etc. therefore you have to reset them using your email, not username. A lot of people are trying new passwords, not ones they setup their account with. Jsut email us, we will email you back and get your account fixed. We know there are other issues with reviews matching up to accounts and we are hoping this will be fixed today. Overall, once we are through this transition, we hope you will enjoy the updated site, which will function better. We also know the site has been dragging, again, working on it feverously to get it faster.

Yes, we are a pipe tobacco company, no we will not be censoring reviews. Honest reviews are just that honest. We know not everyone loves or even likes some or all of our blends, that is to be expected. Please know that we have always done business honestly and to the highest standard and this will not change, nor has it as we have owned this website for over a year now and have not censored anything. Most people are just realizing the change in ownership with the updated site, however it has been a long time and nothing has changed. The only changes we want you to experience is a better experience.

Myself and others at the company are reding every email that comes in via the contact us page and are responding as quick as we can. Any further concerns not answered through this page, please feel free to email me directly: jmckenna@sutliff-tobacco.com. If it is specific to your login, etc. best you go through the contact us page, as it goes to our programmers as well and will be addressed quicker.
Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed response to people’s concerns.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
But what about the search features!? I know the site will be hardened soon and the technical debt paid off but what about the functionality?? I can't advanced search anymore. At minimum I don't know where it was moved.
From the devs:
The sort should be back today or tomorrow. The Advanced Search should be back Friday or early next week.

We are also posting updates to the forum.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm going to take a contrarian view to the dominant tone of this thread. Tobaccoreviews.com has been the red headed stepchild of the pipe world for a number of years. None of the prior owners made any significant investment of time or money to maintain and improve the site. Now somebody's doing it and all I see are conspiracy theories and moaning because the site migration hit a few bumps in the road.

As far as conspiracy theories are concerned the website has been languishing for over a decade; who exactly did you think was going to put in the money to fix it? Some disinterested party with no ties to the pipe tobacco world? What you call a conflict of interest I call a vested interest in the site's continued existence and viability. As for a bumpy migration, I've been to this rodeo many times before and if the worst that happens is a day or two of outages that's trivial. Could more planning have avoided it? Probably, but migrations by their nature are riddled with problems (having worked with a number of consultants in this field personally I think it's a feature not a bug). This is why most vendors don't cap their charges, and how they make the big bucks; it's like getting in a taxi and riding around for an undetermined time and destination while the meter is running. But that's another subject.

In the end who really cares if it takes a few days to sort this out. Hell, the migration of this website to the new platform was not without hiccups. That's just the way it often works. To say a problem is avoidable is to say the obvious; most problems are avoidable in retrospect and yet the world keeps experiencing problems. No lives are lost here, no-one here has money at stake; get over it. That's my rant for the day.
If Mac Baren improves TobaccoReviews, and puts the resources into it to keep it running smoothly without diddling with veracity of the content, then it will speak volumes for who they are as a company.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Having just gone through a company migration this last weekend and several others in the past, it comes down to how much effort is made to kick the tires before putting the new model on the lot.

When AOL took over TimeWarner they set about migrating all of the company's tens of thousands of email accounts worldwide to AOL. The Titanic was a honeymoon cruise compared to what happened. AOL's crappy patched systems completely collapsed and TimeWarner couldn't communicate between offices as it's email systems were effectively destroyed. We used our personal email for a couple of months while a team worked to unscramble AOL's hack job. And, of course, a lot of other communications were similarly crippled, which made production quite an adventure.

On the flip side, Discovery's IT working with Warners IT performed a migration to a fully integrated platfrom over last weekend and it's been relatively glitch free. They tested the hell out of it before deploying. Night and Day.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
The tobacco descriptions said s
Strength English. Guess a database field was selected incorrectly.
They probably did that intentionally, they don't seem to care much for the accuracy of their data fields. For instance if you search "erinmore" under brands, Erinmore shows up as a brand with zero reviewed blends. You may find it strange that such a popular brand, while listed isn't actually reviewed... well it is, but under STG as the brand. So why do they even have a data entry for Erinmore in their brand listing? Who knows, but maybe its because its strength=english.

Don't try to add Erinmore under its brand so you can review it, a brand that they already have listed with zero blends. Aaaand certainly don't try to fix the other Erinmore entry under STG when you notice what you added has disappeared, and the blend was actually on the site but in the wrong place. Just trust me.

-Emiratus Account

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What nobody here has mentioned, is that TobaccoReviews is setting itself up to be a direct competitor to PipesMagazine. Whether this will be good, bad or indifferent remains to be seen, but the advertising dollars are now divided between two similar sites, and viewership will be as well.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
What nobody here has mentioned, is that TobaccoReviews is setting itself up to be a direct competitor to PipesMagazine. Whether this will be good, bad or indifferent remains to be seen, but the advertising dollars are now divided between two similar sites, and viewership will be as well.
I personally feel that this site (Pipes Magazine) has its own character and flavor and cannot be replaced. Another forum is not a bad thing, per se. But I cannot imagine it overtaking the history here, and the personalities which have made it what it is.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I personally feel that this site (Pipes Magazine) has its own character and flavor and cannot be replaced. Another forum is not a bad thing, per se. But I cannot imagine it overtaking the history here, and the personalities which have made it what it is.
While I agree with you, it is advertising dollars that keep the lights on. Advertisers have set budgets, so money may be divided or entirely diverted. It looks like TR has already convinced several PM advertisers to try their site.