PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
They have no plans to control the content. It is as user submitted as ever.
Sure.
No company makes an investment without a clear plan to maximize returns. How long can their marketing people justify producing a site that has negative content about their products and gives their competitor’s goods higher ratings?

What is your involvement with TobaccoReviews?

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The site appears to be up & working fine now. But unless I’m missing something there’s no sort feature for the reviews. The order appears random. I like to sort newest to oldest to get some idea of the impact of age on out of production blends.

Maybe it’s an iPhone thing (that’s how I viewed the site). Are those of you using computers able to sort reviews?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The terms regarding posting reviews on the site are troubling...

"Published review content of this website is considered the intellectual property of the reviewer and STC Holdings LLC and may not be reproduced in any manner without express written consent of STC Holdings LLC."

"All reviews posted or uploaded to our website by you which are legal, meaning not actionable in contract or tort and not otherwise in violation of any law, shall be owned exclusively by us upon posting or uploading to our website, and may be used, sold, or transferred in any manner by us without remuneration to you and without your consent."

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I was a software program manager for a Fortune 100 company for about a decade. This is... ungood.

I just went to check my ASTB review. I couldn't see it because it wasn't in the top 10 (of 98), and you need to log in to page. I tried to log in, but I needed to reset my password. I got my new password, saved it, and then was told I wasn't registered on the site when I tried to log in.

One of my side gigs is setting up and managing linux webserver ecosystems, and I specialize in setting up development, test, and production WordPress environments. This is a mess.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I tried opening it with several different browsers. The site worked with none of them. Safari and Firefox both hang and Chrome won't go beyond data base errors.

I wonder whose witless nephew was hired to revamp the site?

No real loss to me. I rarely went to the site as most of the content was drivel .
…drivel….or maybe just Non Plus.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I was a software program manager for a Fortune 100 company for about a decade. This is... ungood.

I just went to check my ASTB review. I couldn't see it because it wasn't in the top 10 (of 98), and you need to log in to page. I tried to log in, but I needed to reset my password. I got my new password, saved it, and then was told I wasn't registered on the site when I tried to log in.

One of my side gigs is setting up and managing linux webserver ecosystems, and I specialize in setting up development, test, and production WordPress environments. This is a mess.
Were you using your screen name or your e-mail address? Because I had the same problem after I reset my password, but I was trying to log in with my username. When I instead used my e-mail address, it worked.

Reactions: seanv

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Sure.
No company makes an investment without a clear plan to maximize returns. How long can their marketing people justify producing a site that has negative content about their products and gives their competitor’s goods higher ratings?

What is your involvement with TobaccoReviews?
My involvement is as a user. I guess we'll have to see if you are right. I guess I am optimistic.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
TobaccoReviews lost all relevance when they started that “Emeritus Account” BS. No way to know who reviewed half of what’s on there, so zero context.

Now that a tobacco manufacturer controls the content, the site is completely untrustworthy.
'Emeritus account', I think, is how the site renamed the deleted accounts. sounds better than 'Deleted account'.
And I absolutely agree with you on your comment about a tobacco company owning it.
it cannot be trusted no more. realistically speaking, the only way to make an opinion of a tobacco and find out if it's for me, or not, is by trying it.
Life, after all, is also about taking a risk.

Jmckenna0810

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
I've been reading the post and wanted to chime in on the revamp of TObaccoreviews.com as the CEO over all the companies mentioned in various comments, etc; First, thank you for being part of the site and caring enough to comment, good or bad. There is/was things we could have done better/different int he transitions, the main thing to remember is that we are working 24/7 on it as I type to get it 100% correct. The code behind the site hadn't been updated probably since it was created and has not been an easy undertaking (fact, not excuse). We wanted to update it, upgrade it and bring further content for everyone to enjoy. We could not transfer passwords, as they are hidden, etc. therefore you have to reset them using your email, not username. A lot of people are trying new passwords, not ones they setup their account with. Jsut email us, we will email you back and get your account fixed. We know there are other issues with reviews matching up to accounts and we are hoping this will be fixed today. Overall, once we are through this transition, we hope you will enjoy the updated site, which will function better. We also know the site has been dragging, again, working on it feverously to get it faster.

Yes, we are a pipe tobacco company, no we will not be censoring reviews. Honest reviews are just that honest. We know not everyone loves or even likes some or all of our blends, that is to be expected. Please know that we have always done business honestly and to the highest standard and this will not change, nor has it as we have owned this website for over a year now and have not censored anything. Most people are just realizing the change in ownership with the updated site, however it has been a long time and nothing has changed. The only changes we want you to experience is a better experience.

Myself and others at the company are reding every email that comes in via the contact us page and are responding as quick as we can. Any further concerns not answered through this page, please feel free to email me directly: jmckenna@sutliff-tobacco.com. If it is specific to your login, etc. best you go through the contact us page, as it goes to our programmers as well and will be addressed quicker.

Jmckenna0810

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
I've been reading the post and wanted to chime in on the revamp of TObaccoreviews.com as the CEO over all the companies mentioned in various comments, etc; First, thank you for being part of the site and caring enough to comment, good or bad. There is/was things we could have done better/different int he transitions, the main thing to remember is that we are working 24/7 on it as I type to get it 100% correct. The code behind the site hadn't been updated probably since it was created and has not been an easy undertaking (fact, not excuse). We wanted to update it, upgrade it and bring further content for everyone to enjoy. We could not transfer passwords, as they are hidden, etc. therefore you have to reset them using your email, not username. A lot of people are trying new passwords, not ones they setup their account with. Jsut email us, we will email you back and get your account fixed. We know there are other issues with reviews matching up to accounts and we are hoping this will be fixed today. Overall, once we are through this transition, we hope you will enjoy the updated site, which will function better. We also know the site has been dragging, again, working on it feverously to get it faster.

Yes, we are a pipe tobacco company, no we will not be censoring reviews. Honest reviews are just that honest. We know not everyone loves or even likes some or all of our blends, that is to be expected. Please know that we have always done business honestly and to the highest standard and this will not change, nor has it as we have owned this website for over a year now and have not censored anything. Most people are just realizing the change in ownership with the updated site, however it has been a long time, and nothing has changed. The only changes we want you to experience is a better experience.

Myself and others at the company are reding every email that comes in via the contact us page and are responding as quick as we can. Any further concerns not answered through this page, please feel free to email me directly: jmckenna@sutliff-tobacco.com. If it is specific to your login, etc. best you go through the contact us page, as it goes to our programmers as well and will be addressed quicker.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands

Yes, we are a pipe tobacco company, no we will not be censoring reviews. Honest reviews are just that honest. We know not everyone loves or even likes some or all of our blends, that is to be expected. Please know that we have always done business honestly and to the highest standard and this will not change, nor has it as we have owned this website for over a year now and have not censored anything. Most people are just realizing the change in ownership with the updated site, however it has been a long time, and nothing has changed. The only changes we want you to experience is a better experience.

Best wishes for a successful website and part of the pipe community! I like reading the reviews.