PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Technically, it is just Kopp Tobaccos now as "Due to significant differences about the future strategic direction between the younger generations, the Kohlhase brothers decided to leave the company on December 31, 2022."

They have even redesigned the website: Startseite - Kopp Tobaccos - https://kopp-tobaccos.com/
According to the website, the company still produces blends for: Ashton, Caribbean Blue, IlsteadOwn, Rattray, Reiner, Samuel Gawith, Savinelli, Sillems, Solani and White Elephant.

White Elephant is a new brand to me.
Thanks for the information. Is this Dec. 31 statement a press release from their website?

Reactions: Friendly Piper

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Technically, it is just Kopp Tobaccos now as "Due to significant differences about the future strategic direction between the younger generations, the Kohlhase brothers decided to leave the company on December 31, 2022."

They have even redesigned the website: Startseite - Kopp Tobaccos - https://kopp-tobaccos.com/
According to the website, the company still produces blends for: Ashton, Caribbean Blue, IlsteadOwn, Rattray, Reiner, Samuel Gawith, Savinelli, Sillems, Solani and White Elephant.

White Elephant is a new brand to me.
Samuel Gawith is a surprise!

suamrai61

Lurker
Jun 25, 2023
China
Not sure if this is the same mistake.

But I am indeed more concerned about the fate of the SG brand. I just read in an old post on the PSD that SG's old machines were sent overseas to the Netherlands, and in the same year, which was 2019, Bob Gregory chose to leave the company because he believed Gawith had deviated from its 200-year-old way of operating(Please forgive and correct me if this information is outdated.)

Last edited:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
From the Dutch Pipe Smoker blog [LINK]:

"Samuel Gawith no longer attends the fair [Inter-Tabak] since Bob Gregory left. I read on PipesMagazine the following: “Chris (Gawith) has recently taken over the company with the passing of his father and is now in the process of applying his expertise in engineering (he’s an engineer by trade) to the company with process improvement and oversight.” Well, I know Bob left for a reason, mainly because he was fuming that the company wants to do things wholly different than the last 200 years and he could not stand behind it. So I hope Chris understands that the quality of the Gawith product still has to be spot on because otherwise I think he is going to lose a lot of customers and murders a centuries old company.. "

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
From the Dutch Pipe Smoker blog [LINK]:

"Samuel Gawith no longer attends the fair [Inter-Tabak] since Bob Gregory left. I read on PipesMagazine the following: “Chris (Gawith) has recently taken over the company with the passing of his father and is now in the process of applying his expertise in engineering (he’s an engineer by trade) to the company with process improvement and oversight.” Well, I know Bob left for a reason, mainly because he was fuming that the company wants to do things wholly different than the last 200 years and he could not stand behind it. So I hope Chris understands that the quality of the Gawith product still has to be spot on because otherwise I think he is going to lose a lot of customers and murders a centuries old company.. "
I must say, Bob Gregory's tone above differs markedly from his optimism and enthusiasm during his merger press release only 4 years earlier [LINK]:

"After months of deliberation and negotiation I am pleased to advise that the House of Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth will merge on March 18th. The men and machinery of SG will move to the larger and more adequate factory of GH. The men will be the same as will the machinery. The brand will be made in exactly the same way as it has been since 1792 with no change to blend, water or branding. We see this move as a good move particularly in view of the fact that exactly 150 years ago, in 1865, the two brothers, Samuel and John shook hands and went their separate ways to pursue their own dreams in Kendal. Both SG and GH have co-existed in a peaceful, friendly but competitive way to this day. Both companies have pledged to continue production in their own, unique ways and both companies see this merger as a positive way forward lending strength to both brands."

-Bob Gregory
(2015) Managing Director

I do wonder how much of his optimism actually materialized.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
No Paul, unfortunately not. Condor has been made in Poland since 2017. Not sure who produces B&H’s Mellow Virginia now, but it hasn’t been made in Britain for a long time.
@simong So Condor production moved to Poland the year before I got my first clay pipe!
Great to try the 1980s Condor Long Cut in a clay at Nottingham; so as you mentioned I can say I've smoked Irish Condor now! It tastes different from the modern Condor & I could smell the aroma @condorlover1 mentioned as well!

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Again more BS!

1) Kopp distribute for Gawith Hoggarth & Co in Germany, including the Samuel Gawith brand. They do not own or produce any tobacco for us and never have.
2) Bob Gregory left Gawith Hoggarth for reasons I am not going to go into here, along with the former managing director and a couple of others. We were not sorry to see them go and it was more a case they had to leave.
3) Samuel Gawith's was basically going bankrupt and could not continue to operate. It had no UK market and just its export. Gawith Hoggarth & Co stepped in to take over the brand and took some of the machinery and some of the staff. I believe some machinery ended up going to Holland, some was scrapped.....not our choice.
4) Changes have had to be made to operations due to track and trace, new packaging regulations and numerous other regulations. All of which the former management were not capable of dealing with. These changes are ongoing. The production has not changed. But companies have to modernise to survive.
5) Gawith Hoggarth/Samuel Gawith have never had a proper stand at Intertabac before 2022. However, we have now attended two years in a row, with a much larger stand this year. And have already booked for next year.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Again more BS!

1) Kopp distribute for Gawith Hoggarth & Co in Germany, including the Samuel Gawith brand. They do not own or produce any tobacco for us and never have.
2) Bob Gregory left Gawith Hoggarth for reasons I am not going to go into here, along with the former managing director and a couple of others. We were not sorry to see them go and it was more a case they had to leave.
3) Samuel Gawith's was basically going bankrupt and could not continue to operate. It had no UK market and just its export. Gawith Hoggarth & Co stepped in to take over the brand and took some of the machinery and some of the staff. I believe some machinery ended up going to Holland, some was scrapped.....not our choice.
4) Changes have had to be made to operations due to track and trace, new packaging regulations and numerous other regulations. All of which the former management were not capable of dealing with. These changes are ongoing. The production has not changed. But companies have to modernise to survive.
5) Gawith Hoggarth/Samuel Gawith have never had a proper stand at Intertabac before 2022. However, we have now attended two years in a row, with a much larger stand this year. And have already booked for next year.
Your opening sentence is all-telling. You are not here to have a polite debate, but to convince everyone of your version of truth.

1. True
2. Bob Gregory is a true class act with years and years of experience in the tobacco business. As opposed to your biochemist/high street solicitor/property sales/dog rescue history. Any tobacco company would be sorry to see Bob go.
3. Samuel Gawith "just" had their export? So the whole of the USA and a large part of Europe is "just" export?
4. At least in Bob's years the tins were airtight. You have been looking for quite some time (since 2015) for decent tins and still haven't found good ones.
5. That is an outright lie. A combined stand of Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth was present in the past at the Inter Tabac. Run by Bob. See this excerpt from my Dutch Pipe Smoker blog.IMG-20231011-WA0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.