PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If its for bulk bulk, what about those space saver storage bags (normally used for clothing) where you suck the air out with the vacuum cleaner ☺

There's two reliable methods, I'm aware of, for longer term storage. Mason jars and 7 mm mylar bags. Other solutions may work for awhile but will not be air tight enough for the longer term.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
There's two reliable methods, I'm aware of, for longer term storage. Mason jars and 7 mm mylar bags. Other solutions may work for awhile but will not be air tight enough for the longer term.

I'll probably combine the two. Mylar bag each sack individually, and then vacuum-bag several together.

Seal em up, stuff it all in an airtight tote... done. By my estimation, should keep for decades. Especially since what I plan on buying comes on the dry side, so no mold to worry about.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
As long as you know what you would like to acquire and it's available, AND you have the money, go for it. Otherwise, I'm not a fan of panic anything. Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

20 to 40 lbs is a considerable amount of tobacco. It would take @jiminks the better part of an afternoon to smoke through that.

Check, check, check. I'm not so much "panic" buying as I am indulging in
I was kinda just worried that I'll get tired of plain VaBur after a while. My remedy will be some bulk latakia to sprinkle on for a flavor boost. Then I can smoke it plain or with the lat.
I like some aromatics, but could totally live without them.
Panic is underrated. :ROFLMAO:

No, I do agree of course. I try to draw the line at a sense of urgency. I don't usually have the energy to go beyond that. Panic is exhausting.

Totally agree. I just like to amass a hoard of whatever it is I like to collect/consume (in a neat and orderly fashion). I already have a lifetime supply (no exaggeration) of single malt Scotch at the rate I drink it.
So while I am a *bit* concerned about an online sales ban, it's really just an excuse to satisfy my desire to build a stockpile and sit on top of it like a dragon on a mountain of gold.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
...that is the question.

Some good sales going on right now. Considering buying a small mountain of toby. Should I do it, or nah?

Here's the thing; the FDA is doing it's best to screw the tobacco industry & politicians will use any excuse to bend us over and ..... well, you get the picture.

Here in Nanny State Australia, 50 grams of tobacco is over $100.
When it was announced 18-24 months ago that the laws re; importation of tobacco were going to change, I had a very bad feeling, so I bought as much tobacco as my limited income allowed. [Now I have over 40lb cellared & am growing & storing leaf in the event if I ever run out] I refuse to pay $2 a gram on principle.

Other Aussies on social media called me 'paranoid' [they were the polite ones] amongst other things because 'guys in the know, who knows someones uncles neighbour who knows a bloke ....' said that the laws would only affect 'commercial quantity', which was utter bullshit.

Not that I think that things would ever get as bad in the U.S. as it is here, what we do know is that the price will only go up. States are already banning, or threatening to ban, on-line sales. Then there's talk of banning 'flavoured' tobacco [How far would the FDA take that farce considering that most tobacco has been cased with at least a touch of sugar water?]

Building a decent cellar while you're still able, while prices are still reasonable, would be sensible.
Properly stored, tobacco will keep for decades. Many blends improve with age.
Tobacco holds it's value. Many blends increase in value with age.
If shit ever hits the fan, tobacco would be a valuable trade item.
If the laws ever make it hard for friends or family to procure tobacco, those with large cellars would be able to help them out at cost. [Let's face it, all we have is each other to rely on]

So yes, buy as much tobacco as you can afford. It's something that you would never regret.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Check, check, check. I'm not so much "panic" buying as I am indulging in
I was kinda just worried that I'll get tired of plain VaBur after a while. My remedy will be some bulk latakia to sprinkle on for a flavor boost. Then I can smoke it plain or with the lat.
I like some aromatics, but could totally live without them.

That's what I considered when I was panic buying ..... er, I mean to say, when I was 'indulging' [yes, that does sound much better]
So I bought a pound each of Latakia, Perique, Turkish, Black Cavendish & blending Virginia.
Last Christmas I took advantage of the Christmas mail rush to sneak in 5lbs of aromatics to give me a wider choice of blends.

Even if aro's were the last thing left in my 'cellar', I'd happily smoke that rather than pay what will probably be $150 for 50 grams by that time.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
That's what I considered when I was panic buying ..... er, I mean to say, when I was 'indulging' [yes, that does sound much better]
So I bought a pound each of Latakia, Perique, Turkish, Black Cavendish & blending Virginia.
Last Christmas I took advantage of the Christmas mail rush to sneak in 5lbs of aromatics to give me a wider choice of blends.

Even if aro's were the last thing left in my 'cellar', I'd happily smoke that rather than pay what will probably be $150 for 50 grams by that time.

Indeed. We are not men of panic. We are men of calm contemplation and rational decision-making!
If it ever got that expensive, I'd have to just start growing the stuff. Which I'm sure they'd want to regulate/ban, and so there you are - a once legal hobby reduced to a criminal act.
Meanwhile, the local DopeMart is thriving with all of the OTC heroin sales.

Reactions: Bowie and chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Indeed. We are not men of panic. We are men of calm contemplation and rational decision-making!
If it ever got that expensive, I'd have to just start growing the stuff. Which I'm sure they'd want to regulate/ban, and so there you are - a once legal hobby reduced to a criminal act.
"We are men of calm contemplation and rational decision-making!" Exactly!

Believe it or not but growing tobacco here for personal use carries bigger penalties than for growing cannabis [Yeah, forget what I said about growing. I just like to make myself sound like a devil-may-care kind of guy who likes to thumb his nose at officialdom. I'd never even consider breaking unjust laws that were written by faceless bureaucrats who've probably never been laid because I'm a good boy : ) ]

What really grinds my gears is that we go through stages where our politicians waste millions on anti-smoking ads while hard drugs, meth/ice in particular, is a real problem. Yet we hear nothing about the dangers of meth/ice, how it destroys lives & permanently damages the brains ability to make the feel good chemicals such as serotonin.

A hit of meth/ice is actually cheaper here than a pack of cigarettes. For the price of 50 grams of tobacco, one can buy a gram of meth/ice for less. [A gram of meth/ice = around 10 hits]

The anti-smoking nonsense is only a justification to treat smokers with utter contempt.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
What bugs me is the rise of weed, the people who use it and how loud weed shop windows are. After all, it is inhaled, can't be any better than cigarettes for the lungs and is a psychotropic drug that after years of use makes people dumb.

As for the topic, I buy about 200g every month and smoke about 50g, I believe that amount of buying is s reasonable with my smoking habits, finances, and challenges in buying tobacco from abroad. I'm currently set up for more than a year with what I have in my drawer.

Oh and my tobacco seeds just sprouted ;)

Last edited:

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Well did you you do it, or what?!

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I panic bought a ton of tobacco. I have so much tobacco now that its almost embarrassing. The tobacco apocalypse hasn't exactly happened yet but I am smoking a bowl of 5 year old plumb pudding today. I'm now going to have to start smoking more else I will die before I can finish it all. However I do miss TAD because smoking a bowl of tobacco while buying more tobacco is SO MUCH FUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.