PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
One of @anotherbob 's post in another thread got me thinking about Black Coffee. When I was in college, I really developed a taste and a preference for some steaming hot black coffee. I came to appreciate the beauty, the essence, and to be honest, the simple refreshing honesty of black coffee.

Now I recognize that black coffee isn't everybody's so called cup of tea - and that is their loss. Yes, people would stare at me when I was in a restaurant or having a great night out as I sipped up the essence and joy of the slender silky black coffee before me. But I didn't care. I knew what I had and I thought it was too bad for them to allow their own predisposed views on coffee to keep them from enjoying and celebrating share beauty and uninhibited joy.

My parents, to be honest, were not all that happy with me in my choice of coffee. But being a college kid, I didn't really care. This was my time to try new things and explore the world - right?

Anyway, I got to thinking, are there any other coffee drinkers with a similar preference or disposition when it comes to coffee?
Good morning once I read one of your posts I found out your s great tale teller. Now you evolve on a more pragmatic question. But I didn’t get the point. What’s wrong about black coffee?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I used to hate black coffee, on deployment i was suffer it because that’s what there was, horrible horrible black coffee. For years after i would drink it with extra cream and like 4 sugars, i never liked the taste of “coffee” no matter what type of bean or fancy brew method, tried them all and the i went on keto and started to force myself to drink it black, took 3 or 4 months for me to developed a taste for it, and i drink 4 or 5 a day at least so it was a lot of suffering through, now for the last 3 yrs it’s all i drink.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I used to hate black coffee, on deployment i was suffer it because that’s what there was, horrible horrible black coffee. For years after i would drink it with extra cream and like 4 sugars, i never liked the taste of “coffee” no matter what type of bean or fancy brew method, tried them all and the i went on keto and started to force myself to drink it black, took 3 or 4 months for me to developed a taste for it, and i drink 4 or 5 a day at least so it was a lot of suffering through, now for the last 3 yrs it’s all i drink.
Black coffee can be a hard task. Thremember times I’ve been working in

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I used to hate black coffee, on deployment i was suffer it because that’s what there was, horrible horrible black coffee.
Black coffee can be a hard task. There was a time everyone got a coffee machine, paper filter and warm plate.

I remember working at a newspaper desk. In the morning the secretary used to brew a can of coffee. In the afternoon there was still some left left on the hot plate. Some black, bitter, acrid smelling fluid. You couldn’t enjoy that stuff, but what can you do other than drink that stuff, when you’re harried, down and out having to much phone calls.

Even sugar or milk added, if there had been some in the fridge, that didn’t turn bad, helped.

And even in some restaurants in the 1970/80 you got that stuff, brewed in the morning, served in the evening. And on top they charged you some bucks for the stale drink.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I really didn't become a coffee drinker until I was stationed on an icebreaker. The coffee was so bad it was sometimes used as cleaning solvent (but my memories of it are still better than Starbucks swill). On one trip, a mess cook was caught cleaning the large coffee pots with a diesel soaked rag. It improved the coffee.

When we got back into Seattle, I learned how good could taste when properly roasted (don't burn the damn beans) and made. I've had Ethiopian, Jamaican, Blue Mountain, Kona and Colombian coffee. My personal favorite is a good 100% Colombian medium roast.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I used to hate black coffee, on deployment i was suffer it because that’s what there was, horrible horrible black coffee.

Similar story here.
In college I drank it black because that's what I could afford. In the service, that's what was usually available. (In 12 years of service we NEVER once had enough condiments aboard the cutter to last a full patrol.) After a while, you get used to it. Once you get used to it, you start to prefer it. ☕
09uxc9px1xt11.jpg