PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
In college, I made it my task to... puffy drink coffees from around the world. Straight coffees. The worst is Irish coffee. I married drank... a cup of that, and it went bad.
Yup, Irish coffee. It sounds like it should be good. Taste like it after a few sips. And then the next morning, ohhh, the headache.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
French press... I've had some of that too. puffy
My wife prefer French press, and lately moka pot. They are both so so for me. I don't go for high end cup of coffee, but I do have number of portable coffee makers, hand grinders, and things for backpacking. That Aeropress is a simple pump just like French press, but it uses filter. And what comes out of it is actually sweet. Some say it's due to the filter sucking up all the acid. But too much work to set it up for morning cupa.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
My wife prefer French press, and lately moka pot. They are both so so for me. I don't go for high end cup of coffee, but I do have number of portable coffee makers, hand grinders, and things for backpacking. That Aeropress is a simple pump just like French press, but it uses filter. And what comes out of it is actually sweet. Some say it's due to the filter sucking up all the acid. But too much work to set it up for morning cupa.
My wife might like an Aeropress. This is something that should be marketed more.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
When I graduated from the boy’s reformatory and got home, my dad handed me a Laborers book and a pair of Red Wings and sent me on my way. Couple days later I was at a diner, three hours from home, sitting with a bunch of construction workers, ordering breakfast. The waitress came around and asked if we wanted coffee. The guy next to me looked up at the waitress and said “just like my men baby, hot strong and black.”
I didn’t know whether to shit or go blind, mumbled something to the waitress, and ended up with a cup of black coffee.
Never had it any other way.

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
Been drinking my coffee hot and black for many years now. In my opinion it's the only way to appreciate the true full flavor of the coffee. Since I became accustomed to black coffee , I no longer can even force myself to drink coffee with any additives. The taste of coffee that has had sugar, cream, or any other additive is actually repulsive to me now.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Yep, either as espresso or espresso topped with hot water (Americano?).

I've been wondering about getting a moka pot and/or drip machine as I've always liked the idea of having a big pot of black coffee to gorge on during the morning. But drip machines are not at all common in Australia, there is probably 2 models I've seen in store that are made with too much thin plastic for my liking.
And around about $80-100 Aus Dollars it sounds like too much to pay to find out my espresso with hot water does the same thing? I've been meaning ask this in one of the bi-monthly coffee threads that pop up.

Does anybody else do the same thing with their espresso or do you think it's worth branching out into moka, drip, aeropress etc?