The Tobbacolypse: Would it Affect You at All?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If the worst happened, tobacco use outlawed, I would immediately have more disposable income. Nothing wrong with that! No great loss as I chose to smoke and am not married to it.

Being disobedient to the law is the antithesis of what most US citizens believe. We have other, legal options, to counter such acts/laws. I'm sincerely glad you were a teacher of English and not Civics. Although I believe the teaching of civics is largely omitted in most US school districts these days. Our revolutions tend to occur at the ballot box, not on the streets.
yes and no. The act of civil disobedience is tied directly to the infringement by the government of self evident universal rights when all other recourse has failed to find a remedy. I use slavery as an example. Is there a moral argument for following the law in that context or does a citizen have an obligation to defy the law and set people free from bondage when the government fails to do so. Are do you believe we should just vote on it? To my point closer at home, primacy over ones domicile is that of a king over his castle, so to speak. The government is required to enter only for specific and specified reasons. To enter in order to prevent me from smoking tobacco I legally obtained when I was free to do so and to then prevent me from smoking it is to deprive me of the quiet enjoyment of my home; further, should a government have reached this point then it would be safe to say more imperative universal rights would have been a
infringed on.

This is precisely American Civics 101. Or it was for the 200 years leading up to the 80s when history got yanked from the schools.

And for the record, I am a certified social studies teacher, LOL.

Lastly, democracy is neither clean or easy. Protecting it also means at times protecting the rights of the one over the many. To fail to do so suppresses the importance of the individual without whom there can then be no majority or a will of the many. Democracy is a tangled web of a Möbius strip where the will of the individual and the will of the majority must learn to find a simplified cohesion that is seamless and makes sense.

You may take that to the bank.

telescopes

True, but it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Yes, but posting pictures that infer intent to do harm before the fact is a prosecutor's dream. They will find the post for sure

And by the way, seriously, my post was a joke. Am I the only one who noticed the model of the Taurus is called a judge?

Humor people. Humor.

Reactions: edger

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Yes, but posting pictures that infer intent to do harm before the fact is a prosecutor's dream. They will find the post for sure

And by the way, seriously, my post was a joke. Am I the only one who noticed the model of the Taurus is called a judge?

Humor people. Humor.

A picture of a gun infers an intent to do harm?

telescopes

A picture of a gun infers an intent to do harm?
Seriously. Did you notice the name of the gun was called Judge?

the conversation prior to the picture boarders on suggesting it was fine to shoot people who knocked on your door - a conversation mostly in jest.

Followed by the picture of the Judge. My comment was one that was in jest, but also one based on the many legal articles I read about people such as myself who carry with a CCW to boot.

Of course, a picture by itself is meaningless.

And apparently one of a Taurus Judge is humorless as well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My apologies, I thought I'd read you instructed in English.

And, I agree that the "Fathers" designed the government to be messy and extremely ungainly. Passing laws, every one of which shrinks or does away with some "right" or another, was intended to be neigh impossible without civil and uncivil discourse. Over the years, in our infinite wisdom, we, the electorate, have permitted/encouraged an erosion of that process. Instead of wanting to protect those few, enumerated rights, we, every few years, elect people bent on reducing them. Such is human nature, much easier to vote with a lack of understanding than to take the time to understand the issues. As Pogo observed. "We have met the enemy and he is us." A quote used here the other day and unattributed unfortunately.

As an aside, I wonder how many of those members who profess to be "shoot first, ask questions later" types have actually shot a human being. The public professions will certainly find their way into your coroner's inquest and be happily used by eager prosecutors. Think before you type yourself into a serious corner should you ever need to defend you and yours. Hopefully you can avoid such and continue to broadcast your well thought out intentions without facing such. The public broadcast of your intentions will be extremely helpful in any prosecution and civil suit sure to follow. Think folks! Think before you post something you might regret. Hopefully, not a one of you will ever face such a situation.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Seriously. Did you notice the name of the gun was called Judge?

the conversation prior to the picture boarders on suggesting it was fine to shoot people who knocked on your door - a conversation mostly in jest.

Followed by the picture of the Judge. My comment was one that was in jest, but also one based on the many legal articles I read about people such as myself who carry with a CCW to boot.

Of course, a picture by itself is meaningless.

And apparently one of a Taurus Judge is humorless as well.

Of course. I have one. Didn’t need to look too closely to know what it was.

I’m just missing the humor. I think folks are referring to their legal right to defend their homes. A photo, just like the gun itself, is harmless.

Reactions: telescopes

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
An addendum to the above second paragraph: Trust me, your computers and social media will be intensely searched, read and parsed should you ever find yourself defending your use of deadly force, no matter how righteous your actions appear on the surface. The civil suit might be more of a threat to your financial well being than the criminal investigation and any charges brought forth.

Again, think people!

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
My apologies, I thought I'd read you instructed in English.

And, I agree that the "Fathers" designed the government to be messy and extremely ungainly. Passing laws, every one of which shrinks or does away with some "right" or another, was intended to be neigh impossible without civil and uncivil discourse. Over the years, in our infinite wisdom, we, the electorate, have permitted/encouraged an erosion of that process. Instead of wanting to protect those few, enumerated rights, we, every few years, elect people bent on reducing them. Such is human nature, much easier to vote with a lack of understanding than to take the time to understand the issues. As Pogo observed. "We have met the enemy and he is us." A quote used here the other day and unattributed unfortunately.

As an aside, I wonder how many of those members who profess to be "shoot first, ask questions later" types have actually shot a human being. The public professions will certainly find their way into your coroner's inquest and be happily used by eager prosecutors. Think before you type yourself into a serious corner should you ever need to defend you and yours. Hopefully you can avoid such and continue to broadcast your well thought out intentions without facing such. The public broadcast of your intentions will be extremely helpful in any prosecution and civil suit sure to follow. Think folks! Think before you post something you might regret. Hopefully, not a one of you will ever face such a situation.
I agree taking a human life is no small deal and something I've grappled with since I first thought of buying a gun. For me it's a last resort and something I don't wish to ever have to live with. But if I am legally defending myself, whether it be in my home or not, then I have to be ready to use any self defense weapon I have. Otherwise I might as well not have it.

Ignoring the true Doomsday discussion, I would probably be fine if tobacco disappeared from all online inventories and local shelves. I could probably continue smoking at my current pace until I could figure out growing my own. I've made a concerted effort to buy less tobacco since I figured I had 20+ years of tobacco on hand. If I could smoke a few bowls less a day it would last even longer.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I just keep buying and we'll see what happens, if that means I can smoke a lot less let it be, there is not a lot I can do except for exercising my own influence, whatever that may be . The ambition is 2035, but I think it will be harder to buy products before that year or at least grossly expensive. I think the present rules are perfectly normal; no smoking in offices, restaurants or pubs, no smoking at sports grounds, no smoking at school yards. But its crazy there is a intention to not even let me enjoy it on my own property.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

Humor people. Humor.
You are absolutely right. I wasn't taking it seriously.

I'm all set, but just keep adding, because what else will I do with all of this money? JK

I just don't think it matters. I mean, like does anyone really think that the 1% of the population that smokes pipes is going to be able to stand up to the might of law? I mean, right now the suppliers that make our pipes and pipe tobaccos aren't really doing anything either, not like cigar companies are doing to protect cigars.

In a pinch, I'd just switch to cigars. But, I'll probably still grow tobaccos. But, it just seems that the cigar world has their shit together much better than the pipe industry. When push came to shove, the cigar world sent in Rubio and the thugs. The pipe world just asked, "where do I find these forms?"
Look at which product got most restrictions removed from their products. No pipes!

And, what have any of you done? Sure, sure you sent some angry emails and took some pictures of your guns... you scared the hell out of them, right?

Big talk.

Yeh, I just don't see how they'll stope waves of mail restrictions for tobaccos and sin taxes. Tins might top $50, maybe $70. All I see for everyone to do is just strap yourself in and try to enjoy the ride. Maybe pre-lube. puffy

telescopes

An addendum to the above second paragraph: Trust me, your computers and social media will be intensely searched, read and parsed should you ever find yourself defending your use of deadly force, no matter how righteous your actions appear on the surface. The civil suit might be more of a threat to your financial well being than the criminal investigation and any charges brought forth.

Again, think people!
Well said. That was my point about the picture. A prosecutor can and would come back later and intimate that the attitude wasn't self protection but rather one of being Judge and Jury.

You did read it correctly before, I taught primarily English but I did from time to time teach social studies.

Lastly, I do believe in the rule of law, but I do not believe it means total submission without question.

Reactions: olkofri

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I'm in good shape, with enough to last the rest of my life. I have been more concerned about price than availability although I am sure that we will see good products discontinued in the future as producers find it to be not worth the hassle or financially feasible. I like a lot of different tobaccos so I can almost always find something to smoke that I like.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Worst case scenario it gets legislated into oblivion, and my stash will have me in good shape for a while. Best case scenario, it's an ad campaign to sell tobacco, and I wind up with a good amount of nicely aged blends in jars. Either way I don't have any reservations about spending money on stuff I enjoy.
+1

I just hope the pipe tobacco companies are preparing for the great Stall. With everyone buying like crazy, after August (if buying is still even allowed after that) there has to come a stall in buying. Demand has got to hit rock bottom for at least a few months, with maybe even lasting more than a year. Sop, even if pipe tobaccos aren't blasted into oblivion, the demand is going to hit rock bottom.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Not to worry boys, in one more year my daughter graduates from law school. I will wield her like Excalibur if anyone tries to fuck with us in any way. She can tie up any type of regulation for years. If she is anywhere near as good as my father, we will not have to worry. My father tied up a company called TRW for a decade before they finally gave up and paid what my dad wanted. When they got the check he went out and bought a White Mercedes 2 door convertible to replace the one he had which was red. My dad loved cars. After the he got tired of the Mercedes, he bought his first Porsche 928. That fucker screamed. While he was on vacation I took it out on a Sunday at around 6 in the morning and I got it up to 155 but then ran out of rd. It would have gotten to 175 easily but I didn't have the guts to find another rd and try to get there.

My dad's claim to fame was when he hired Richard Nixon to do some work for my dad. NIxon never did the work and my dad had to threatened to sued him for the 17 grand my old man had paid him. Nixon paid as soon as he got the letter. This all happened when he lost to Kennedy in 1960. He went to a law firm in NY. My old man new Nixon was a scumbag long before Watergate.

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Let them make it illegal. We’ll combine our cellars and from a pipe tobacco cartel. We’ll be the new cocaine cowboys
My sisters husband used to run 18 wheelers full of coke from Miami to Boston. He was just a mule for the cocaine cowboys. Both my sister and her husband passed away years ago. He was never caught and he quit when he saw everyone getting busted. He then opened up a sign store which was very successful he was in Boston when he had that company.My sister was not with him when he was muling.

Status
Not open for further replies.