PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I was surprised at only one thing at our visit to the Peterson shop a week ago - the incredibly helpful and knowledgeable young woman who was working the shop was vehemently anti-Zippo (and they have a display). They offer either engraving or etching and I wasn't buying a lighter but asked about it out of curiosity and her response was "don't buy a Zippo you want a proper pipe lighter" and pointed at their Peterson range of lighters under the counter. I just smiled and went back to looking at pipes, and she wasn't "hard sell" about pipes by any means, in fact the opposite which was nice. For me, a Zippo with a pipe insert works perfectly and for my not so nimble fingers, is intuitively easier to handle than the Peterson style, which is the same as some other styles of lighters, mostly butane, that just don't work for me, but are definitely favorites for many.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sitting in my sun room this morning watching it rain with my loyal dog, Quincy at my feet and my kitty on the couch, I enjoy my coffee with a good pipe. I reach for my zippo and when I have it lit, I snap it shut. It occurs to me that the sound of a zippo closing is as distinctive as it gets. You can be anywhere and when you hear a zippo close you know exactly what it is. It brings back days when I was a kid and the old timers would mill around smoking their cigarettes, pipes and cigars and you would hear the snap of those zippos. A zippo lighter is a tool you can depend on. It is is easy to maintain and repair and gives a good flame in all conditions. It's that sound....that snap...that sound of quality that you hear every time you close it. I have no idea where they are made now, but they are a part of Americana as you can get. Keep those zippos snapping.
Like with cigars, heard many a bad word about the taste of the fuel etc., when using a Zippo, but I've never really noticed any problem. And yes - I LOVE that sound. Have a 1941 Replica and didn't use it for the longest time because I didn't want to scorch the rim of the bowl. And then, I came across the pipe insert! Joy! I use it almost every smoke now. Being an outside smoker, the fact that it is windproof is just wonderful. Just wish they would do an insert for the 1935 model.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Do you have the pipe attachment? I don't think, (so far) that rim charring is a problem with it.
I do not own one but I used or tried them when hanging with my friends who loves them zippos..sometimes they have pipe zippo sometimes just regular..It seemed too much flame is coming...I love matches or butane...

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I finally broke down and got my first pipe insert zippo a week ago. The new C&D model on smoking pipes. It’s fantastic. No rim charring, and got the hang of it pretty quickly. It’s basically a wind proof match as far as I can tell. And far more functional than my nimrod lighter.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
A Zippo question:
Can you over stuff an insert with cotton/rayon wadding and cause it to run out of fuel quicker? I could send it in to Zippo for a refurbish, but how would I quantify how much wadding is optimal? Any thoughts?
Here in Arizona I tend to fill at least every other day due to the dryness.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
Like with cigars, heard many a bad word about the taste of the fuel etc., when using a Zippo, but I've never really noticed any problem. And yes - I LOVE that sound. Have a 1941 Replica and didn't use it for the longest time because I didn't want to scorch the rim of the bowl. And then, I came across the pipe insert! Joy! I use it almost every smoke now. Being an outside smoker, the fact that it is windproof is just wonderful. Just wish they would do an insert for the 1935 model.
They do have the pipe lighter insert for the 1935 replica. I just got mine back recently from Zippo after having a new lid installed. They sent it back with a new pipe insert as well.

Attachments

• 80E83019-4FF3-478C-ADD2-E1177D2508D5.jpeg
    80E83019-4FF3-478C-ADD2-E1177D2508D5.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 65F23B54-ACCA-48D6-AEC3-F614195DB9FC.jpeg
    65F23B54-ACCA-48D6-AEC3-F614195DB9FC.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 12