PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I have lots of Zippo (from gifts/friends or my father). Some the Made in the USA and some from other places (like China). Who knows the difference between them?
Just like Missouri Meerschaum pipe, there won't be any genuine corn corb pipe made put of Missouri. Same goes to Zippo, there won't be any Zippo made out of US. Any "Zippo" that's made out of US, it's fake. Identify the trademark at the bottom of the lighter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just like Missouri Meerschaum pipe, there won't be any genuine corn corb pipe made put of Missouri. Same goes to Zippo, there won't be any Zippo made out of US. Any "Zippo" that's made out of US, it's fake. Identify the trademark at the bottom of the lighter.
They've outsourced for some of their newer inserts to China. Up until 2002 they had a Canadian facility as well.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
All this Zippo chat has me wondering something else: That little hole in the bottom of the pad underneath: is that meant to hold an extra flint? I've heard of guys keeping an extra flint in the bottom and I was wondering if this hole was meant for it?20220702_153742.jpg

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
A Zippo question:
Can you over stuff an insert with cotton/rayon wadding and cause it to run out of fuel quicker? I could send it in to Zippo for a refurbish, but how would I quantify how much wadding is optimal? Any thoughts?
Here in Arizona I tend to fill at least every other day due to the dryness.
I coat the insert with a thin film of vaseline and that seems to slow down (not eliminate) the rate of fuel evaporation. When I've had to remove the rayon batting (to replace a wick) I just re-use the batting, same amount back in that came out. Zippo will refurbish your lighter and insert for free, all it costs in the postage to mail it to them, the submission form is found on their website. I recently sent one of mine in for a hinge adjustment, it took about 10 days and it had a new pipe insert.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
A Zippo question:
Can you over stuff an insert with cotton/rayon wadding and cause it to run out of fuel quicker? I could send it in to Zippo for a refurbish, but how would I quantify how much wadding is optimal? Any thoughts?
Here in Arizona I tend to fill at least every other day due to the dryness.
I would imagine overstuffing the wadding would not let it hold as much in the first place. It is packed in there pretty solid though. When I get one I take them apart anyway. I like to weave the wick through the layers of wadding, it seems to last longer that way. And I remove some of the wadding in the process.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
They do have the pipe lighter insert for the 1935 replica. I just got mine back recently from Zippo after having a new lid installed. They sent it back with a new pipe insert as well.
I just took advantage of the July 4th sale at Smokingpipes and bought the brushed brass model! Can't wait to get! I'll post when it arrives!

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
That little hole in the bottom of the pad underneath: is that meant to hold an extra flint?
I put extra flints underneath the pad. The hole I use for filling. I stick the nozzle of the fluid can into the hole, squeeze the can, and wait for the pad to slightly saturate. If it's way oversaturated, you can shake a bit out, and you want to be wary about the first light, but it's worked for me for decades. The fill lasts about a week, even in a closed car in summer, where the lighter resides with a Bic backup if I forget to fill. I use wooden matches indoors, but I love the big soft flame of a Zippo. Never scorched a pipe with one, and I prefer the regular insert. I have slightly scorched a rim or two with matches. The scent of a Zippo is negligible if you let it dissipate for a second before lighting, which also ensures a one-flick light every time. And yes, the closing snap sounds cool.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I want to like my pipe insert zippo. Depends on the tobacco, but getting the flame into the bowl can be quite the chore at the half way point. End up heating the tongue that way. suppose more practice is in order.
Pull the wick out a bit. Many of my chambers are pushing a three inch depth and my Zippo had no problem reaching.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I put extra flints underneath the pad. The hole I use for filling. I stick the nozzle of the fluid can into the hole, squeeze the can, and wait for the pad to slightly saturate. If it's way oversaturated, you can shake a bit out, and you want to be wary about the first light, but it's worked for me for decades. The fill lasts about a week, even in a closed car in summer, where the lighter resides with a Bic backup if I forget to fill. I use wooden matches indoors, but I love the big soft flame of a Zippo. Never scorched a pipe with one, and I prefer the regular insert. I have slightly scorched a rim or two with matches. The scent of a Zippo is negligible if you let it dissipate for a second before lighting, which also ensures a one-flick light every time. And yes, the closing snap sounds cool.
Oh - I always flipped up the pad to fill it. Whey you say you put the flint under the pad, you mean with the wadding? Or under it in the metal casing when you put it back together?

Reactions: WVOldFart