PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I never gave any thought to the sound of a Zippo, but back when I had a store I used to sell Dupont lighters. I would sometimes have a customer come in who would want to examine all the Duponts. He would stand the flick open each one carefully listening to the sound of each and then, sometimes, buy the one that sounded the best to him. I wondered what this was all about but never asked in case I might blow a several hundred dollar sale.

One day I mentioned this to another customer/friend and he explained that in certain cultures the sound of a Dupont in a bar was like a flag going up saying "Hey, I have money." This was supposed to attract the ladies. It's a crazy world. puffy

mickeyg

Lurker
Jul 28, 2015
I remember my Uncle Ray would light up his Lucky Strikes with a Zippo. The clink, the voom! sound of the sparks hitting the wick, then the sweet smell of a freshly lit Lucky...well, they smelled good in the 50s from what I remember.

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Still have my first Zippo from high school (1960) though the belt clip is new (1980's). In high school we would mix English Leather with the Zippo fuel to make it smell better to the girls. I can not count the number of times that this lighter has been sent back to the factory of rebuilding.
I remember when standing around in a group after freshly filling the lighter that I would flip the top open while in my pocket and accidentally striking the lighter. The "poof" coming from your pocket was unmistakable IMG_2787.jpeg...

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0