PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Sitting in my sun room this morning watching it rain with my loyal dog, Quincy at my feet and my kitty on the couch, I enjoy my coffee with a good pipe. I reach for my zippo and when I have it lit, I snap it shut. It occurs to me that the sound of a zippo closing is as distinctive as it gets. You can be anywhere and when you hear a zippo close you know exactly what it is. It brings back days when I was a kid and the old timers would mill around smoking their cigarettes, pipes and cigars and you would hear the snap of those zippos. A zippo lighter is a tool you can depend on. It is is easy to maintain and repair and gives a good flame in all conditions. It's that sound....that snap...that sound of quality that you hear every time you close it. I have no idea where they are made now, but they are a part of Americana as you can get. Keep those zippos snapping.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
There are a few sounds that are distinct in this life...

The celophane unwrapping from a slice of American cheese, the clinck of a Zippo, the racking of a shotgun, the ping of enemy sonar, and the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy which makes a very distinct sound when fired at you. ?

View attachment 153659

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Zippo parlor trick, hold the lighter first two fingers on the top, thumb on the bottom. Squeez hard, lid pops open and for the gifted, your fingers hit the wheel igniting the whick. A word of caution. Doing this, often for a month or so, and the lighter needs to go to Zippo for a new hinge. The repair is free as is any adulation you recieve for completing the trick successfully. bdw

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
There are a few sounds that are distinct in this life...

The celophane unwrapping from a slice of American cheese, the clinck of a Zippo, the racking of a shotgun, the ping of enemy sonar, and the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy which makes a very distinct sound when fired at you. ?

View attachment 153659
Gunny Highway!

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Out of curiosity, I took a look at Zippo's website.
I know they make a good lighter, but I hadn't heard of the Armor grade Zippo, mentioned by Briar Lee. Interesting, I like the sound of a thicker heavier piece.
Was also blown away by the fact that Zippo makes a full solid 18k gold lighter, in the Armor range. For a mere USD25K.

Reactions: WVOldFart