PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
As a school administrator, I wear a shirt & tie everyday - sometimes with a sport coat, sometimes a sweater. However, since the pandemic and with so few people on campus, I have gone tieless since April. When we get more students on campus, the ties will make a comeback.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Can’t abide ties nowadays. For me, closed toe shoes, long pants, and the nice t-shirt without gravy stains counts as formalwear, and I’ll add a Hawaiian shirt for those special black tie days. Suits feel very unnatural and strange to me now, to the point where I’d rather wear a giant hotdog costume.

The funny thing is, I loved wearing button down shirts, ties, slacks, and stuff like that 25 years ago, and happily wore suits when needed.

For a brief stint in grad school, I worked as a graphic designer for Kinkos, where a blue shirt and tie was mandatory, but what kind of tie was wide open. So, we usually wore something silly, like the Bugs Bunny tie. I also still have a 3Stooges tie and several other whacky ones from those few days. Nowadays, I imagine they would wear tie dyes and cut offs.
The “Mad Men” days are gone.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I think I have the exact same paisley tie that's hanging in the middle!
Me too! A couple more look identical to mine also. I miss having to wear ties. I still do from time to time but only because I like to. I enjoy the art of trying them, caring for them and the look they provide. Nothing wrong with feeling classy.
Cosmic, I gotta hand it to you, you sure know how to class up a pipe and tie brother.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I have a large neck and, as Cosmic mentioned, it's very hard to find button up shirts that fit right.

Beefcake alert.

I, on the other hand, just have a weird neck and shoulders. I've had luck getting fitted shirts for my odd neck & arm measurements, and they weren't too expensive. I can't find any off the rack that work, but even Macy's will measure me and order me the right stuff.

Macy's will measure me and order me the right stuff.
I will have to go check them out. I prefer Van Husen fitted shirts. But, 19.5 is the largest neck size that they ever carry, and those sell quickly. I hear so many guys talk about how small the necks are on shirts. You'd think the industry would react to that.
Otherwise, I just leave the top button unbuttoned.

Are you Don? 'Mad Men' and its challenge to the audience | MinnPost

The Don Draper days... back when men knew how to have pride in the way they looked... and you could get drunk at work, smoke anywhere, and sleep with all of the secretaries. puffy The Good Ol Days, ha ha.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My long time avatar shows me with a tie. Many years ago, my dad died and left his large collection (100+) of ties to me and my brothers. They both refused the ties. I decided to wear each one of them, before I decided to keep or toss. Some of those ties took a lot of courage. Just counted = 61on the tie rack now.

My wife enjoys the tie and jeans combo. I used to wear this a work often. Being unemployed now, I rarely have an excuse to wear a tie.

Just made a decision. I will start wearing a tie in my garage / smoking lounge. The tie is beige. I guarantee, it was given to me. I would never choose this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.