PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I read somewhere a few years ago that clothing evolves upward. For example a swallow tail coat, now considered very formal was originally worn for hunting. The same for sports jackets. They were originally worn for outdoor sports. I suppose that this means someday sweatsuits will be the formal attire.

So far as ties, when I was in practice, I wore them every day, but later it was discouraged as ties were felt to harbor pathogens.

Rarely wear a necktie anymore, but I have a nice collection of bolos.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I like this thread, and I think it would've been interesting walking down the street to a classy view like this:
18095108._SX540_.png

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I love wearing ties, sadly I don't get as much of a chance. Like cosmic said, dress standards have changed. Sadly, I would err on the side of overdressed a little more quickly than I would like, wearing a tie nowadays.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

keithmaclroz

Lurker
Jul 28, 2021
Well, of course, it would be interesting to see people who only go around in suits, but doesn't that scare you? I understand if there were at least different costumes. For example, I have tuxedos from Gentleman's Guru for various events. I can even share with you so many of them I have. My wife once even said that soon I will have more tuxedos than her clothes. It was funny. But since my job requires it, I have to be prepared for anything. But still, if people are given a choice, I think it would be foolish not to take it if they don't like wearing suits.

Jan 27, 2020
I could have sworn that we've had discussions about neck ties, but I did a search and came up empty.
But, I know that we've discussed watches and even clothes.
But, I've noticed that places where men used to dress nicely have slacked down to polo style shirts and khakis. Banks, jewelry stores, even corporate settings. I am not sure why men are and companies are choosing to dismiss eons of customs, but it is sad to see some traditions go.

I am sure the t-shirt and bluejeans crowd aren't torn up over slackened dress codes, but there used to be something distinct and honorable in business attire. A business suit or sports coat and a tie are a way of conveying a seriousness in doing business... a respect to your customers or clients.

It won't be long till even the art of tying a neck tie will be lost to the ways of changing your oil, sharpening a pocketknife, or how to carry a pocketwatch.

I still like to dress nicely depending on the situation. Church, events, functions, or when I have to go into someone else's business to pick up benchwork and repairs to be made. Even if the jewelry store has slackened to bluejeans, I don't want to disrespect that person's business by walking in looking like I have been working in the fields. My manner of dress conveys that I am a professional, even if the tie I am wearing might be kinda goofy, ha ha.

Come on guys, post your ties...
I don't like to wear bow ties, but they seem to be standard uniform for debate coaches. I'm not sure why, but when I take kids to an event, I don't want to look out of place.
A fun tie... I love the woven pattern that makes up the imagery, even if they are just toucans.
View attachment 51940
Yep... What's up, Doc!
View attachment 51941
This tie makes the world go around.
View attachment 51942
churchy...
View attachment 51943
Outa this world... actually designed by a famous artists, that I forgot her name.
View attachment 51945
Greek gods, I think, or something to do with Greek theater. Not sure, but I like it.
View attachment 51946
I always get lots of compliments on this one.
View attachment 51947
A splash of color...
View attachment 51948
I'm not a Disney fan. Never liked the cartoons, nor the movies, nor the theme park. I went as a teen and was bored out of my mind because the place was so geared for little babies. But, I understand they now have some roller coasters, but my initial disappointment will probably keep me from ever wanting to go there, but this is a holiday tie, so I wear it.

Those look like ties that fathers get for father's day and wear so their kids don't feel bad. You should consider a repp stripe or tartan with a half windsor knot.

Those look like ties that fathers get for father's day and wear so their kids don't feel bad. You should consider a repp stripe or tartan with a half windsor knot.
Stripes or…. :::cough cough::: tartan? Ha ha! That sounds as exciting as drinking a glass of warmed water.

Some of these were presents. Some were from my grandfather’s collection.
Some, I picked out.

It’s cool if you like stripes and tartan. Post some pics!!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Well, of course, it would be interesting to see people who only go around in suits, but doesn't that scare you? I understand if there were at least different costumes. For example, I have tuxedos from Gentleman's Guru for various events. I can even share with you so many of them I have. My wife once even said that soon I will have more tuxedos than her clothes. It was funny. But since my job requires it, I have to be prepared for anything. But still, if people are given a choice, I think it would be foolish not to take it if they don't like wearing suits.
Post some pics of your tuxes.

I have but just a couple of formal business suits. Thats as close to a tux as I get. Mostly just sports coats and slacks.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I have some tropical wool 3 button suits, silk and wool sport coats, more Oxford cloth button down shirts , cotton khakis, silk bow ties, long ties, saddle Oxford and tassel loafers than the law should allow.

IMHO, clothes should fit the task and sensitive to those around. Too much and it hard to relate. Too little and failure to take serious.

I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing those first page ties.

Tastefully conservative is what I felt most comfortable.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I work for a team of professional athletes. There was a time when suites and ties were the norm when traveling for road games or anytime you were facing the public outside of game time. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Now some look like they wear their pajamas to and from work. Regular employee dress codes have been relaxed quite a bit and I do enjoy it. I also miss the days of seeing professional athletes dress like, well, professionals. I’m slowly becoming a dinosaur in my 40’s.

Jan 27, 2020
I have some tropical wool 3 button suits, silk and wool sport coats, more Oxford cloth button down shirts , cotton khakis, silk bow ties, long ties, saddle Oxford and tassel loafers than the law should allow.

IMHO, clothes should fit the task and sensitive to those around. Too much and it hard to relate. Too little and failure to take serious.

I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing those first page ties.

Tastefully conservative is what I felt most comfortable.

But, would you wear them at your funeral?

Jan 27, 2020
I work for a team of professional athletes. There was a time when suites and ties were the norm when traveling for road games or anytime you were facing the public outside of game time. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Now some look like they wear their pajamas to and from work. Regular employee dress codes have been relaxed quite a bit and I do enjoy it. I also miss the days of seeing professional athletes dress like, well, professionals. I’m slowly becoming a dinosaur in my 40’s.

Nothing like a professional football player in a 5-button suit jacket.

I wore a tie for years, bit that was years ago. I can't remember how I tied it but bet it would still come automatically if I put one on (many early mornings). I've got several J Garcia ties & also Met Museum of Art ones that are very colorful.

But my current favorite, from The Pipe Club of London:
Shop | Pipe Club of London

View attachment 90451
Nice one. Is that Gryffindor? puffy

• Haha
Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.