Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could have sworn that we've had discussions about neck ties, but I did a search and came up empty.
But, I know that we've discussed watches and even clothes.
But, I've noticed that places where men used to dress nicely have slacked down to polo style shirts and khakis. Banks, jewelry stores, even corporate settings. I am not sure why men are and companies are choosing to dismiss eons of customs, but it is sad to see some traditions go.

I am sure the t-shirt and bluejeans crowd aren't torn up over slackened dress codes, but there used to be something distinct and honorable in business attire. A business suit or sports coat and a tie are a way of conveying a seriousness in doing business... a respect to your customers or clients.

It won't be long till even the art of tying a neck tie will be lost to the ways of changing your oil, sharpening a pocketknife, or how to carry a pocketwatch.

I still like to dress nicely depending on the situation. Church, events, functions, or when I have to go into someone else's business to pick up benchwork and repairs to be made. Even if the jewelry store has slackened to bluejeans, I don't want to disrespect that person's business by walking in looking like I have been working in the fields. My manner of dress conveys that I am a professional, even if the tie I am wearing might be kinda goofy, ha ha.

Come on guys, post your ties...
FLOL3729.JPG
I don't like to wear bow ties, but they seem to be standard uniform for debate coaches. I'm not sure why, but when I take kids to an event, I don't want to look out of place.
EIZL9746.JPG
A fun tie... I love the woven pattern that makes up the imagery, even if they are just toucans.
IMG_8290.JPG
Yep... What's up, Doc!
IMG_8296.JPG
This tie makes the world go around.
IMG_8777.JPG
churchy...
IMG_E8042.JPG
Outa this world... actually designed by a famous artists, that I forgot her name.
LDYE6391.JPG
Greek gods, I think, or something to do with Greek theater. Not sure, but I like it.
WQWI4369.JPG
I always get lots of compliments on this one.
LSDW8283.JPG
A splash of color...
IMG_8638.JPG
I'm not a Disney fan. Never liked the cartoons, nor the movies, nor the theme park. I went as a teen and was bored out of my mind because the place was so geared for little babies. But, I understand they now have some roller coasters, but my initial disappointment will probably keep me from ever wanting to go there, but this is a holiday tie, so I wear it.

TDPJ7812.JPG
I didn't realize that there was a ten image limit on posts, so.... this one was made by Mrs Cosmic's mother for her dad who passed. I loved the pure silk.
IMG_8641.JPG
Another holiday tie.
I have garbage bags full of ties in the attic that I pull down to refresh my tie choices. I could go on and one... But, now, you're turn. Anyone here still like to dress nice for whatever reason?

Wearing one of my JGarcias (man never wore a tie in his life, dies and they do a line of them, go figure) ?
only at Weddings, Easter, Christmas ?
View attachment 51952
I have a Garcia tie also. It was one of the first released. I will have to dig around to find it, but I will get it posted soon. I loved the abstract designs he used. Mine was given to me by a girlfriend in grad school.

Also, there are lots of websites that explain 40 or so different ways to tie a neck tie, but none realloy explain when or why to use them.

1605802260684.png
This is the classic knot, but sometimes ties are too thick, too short, or too thin for this one to work.

1605802304799.png
This works when the tie is too narrow for a full Windsor.

1605802218600.png
I use this one when the tie isn't long enough to do a full Windsor. I have a 20" neck, and some ties just come out too short when I tie them with a classic knot, so....
Also, why are all men's shirts sold for guys with such pencil thin necks? If I find a shirt for a 20" neck, it fits like a freaking table cloth. I have to get my shirts custom made sometimes, but that gets pricey.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a long history with ties of various kinds worn in various situations. I have long found the actual accessory absurd, serving no purpose but ceremonial. My wife once interviewed a fisherman (she was a reporter) who wore a bowtie on the water, calling it a thermal regulating device, so it was useful to him. The gentry in England, U.S., and elsewhere used to wear jackets and ties to hunt and fish, probably as the badge of being a landowner. I wore a jacket and tie to college, especially as an upperclassman, because I was in a journalism school that put us on regular news beats and I felt I needed that professional look. A girl in the newsroom accused me of wearing it because I was so damned skinny, and that could have been part of it. I didn't learn to tie a bowtie, after many tries over the years, until I was in my sixties ... I overthought it. Now I miss wearing a tie, and sometimes do it just for the novelty. Cosmic, you have a great selection of ties. I have a Shakespeare tie, a great paisley or two in long and bowties, a chili pepper tie, two thin ties in Vietnamese fabric, and many others. I've thrown out a bale of them over the years. The doom of the tie at my work place came when they moved a small office of us jacket and tie guys, and women in professional dress, out of prime office real estate to make way for a group of techies in t-shirts and jeans. After that, I tended to wear the ties only if I had specific assignments, though the jacket remained an option, and I didn't go to t-shirts and jeans.

The gentry in England, U.S., and elsewhere used to wear jackets and ties to hunt and fish, probably as the badge of being a landowner.
My Great Grandfather used to wear a tie and jacket when working in the fields. He considered himself a Gentleman Farmer. We have pictures of him on his tractor with suit and tie. I would rather not have to get so much dry cleaning done, plus, who the heck would be impressed now a days by some oddball on his tractor with his Sunday bests on.

I like the Jerry Garcia ties. Not a Dead fan, but I like the artwork on his ties.
Me too. I don't hate his music, most of it is really pretty good, loooooooong but good. I'm just not as into it as some folks are. I hate when one of his songs comes up in conversation and some guy starts rattling off... like that 82 show in Nebraska, set 4 is way better than the 1994 fifth set of blah blah blah.... I never have any idea what all of that means, and I'm left more confused than impressed.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I only have one tie right now lol. I've never really worn them much, partially because I worked mostly in manufacturing type jobs, but mostly because I have a large neck and, as Cosmic mentioned, it's very hard to find button up shirts that fit right. This pic is from 4 years ago, my neck has gotten fatter since then lol.

Screenshot_20201119-100438_Facebook.jpg

I only have one tie right now lol. I've never really worn them much, partially because I worked mostly in manufacturing type jobs, but mostly because I have a large neck and, as Cosmic mentioned, it's very hard to find button up shirts that fit right. This pic is from 4 years ago, my neck has gotten fatter since then lol.

View attachment 51964
Remind me to never piss you off, ha ha. Yeh, a custom shirt can run from $40 -$100, the cheaper being the less desirable fabric. Someone needs to design a nice dress style with elastic necks. Or just a better fit for guys who work out. I hate when shirts puff out around the belt, because they were really designed for someone more pear-shaped... I guess.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My grandfathers both wore suits and ties around the house on a daily basis. That was just what gentlemen did in the early twentieth century. I'm not sure I saw either of them in sports clothes per se, though my maternal grandfather left off the tie when he took us kids hiking. I'm sure I never saw my dad's dad without a suit and tie. He probably wore them hunting. When he was older, he went hunting with his son and friends, but stayed with the car. When the hunting party got back to the car without birds, he had a string of ducks he'd bagged right there.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Remind me to never piss you off, ha ha. Yeh, a custom shirt can run from $40 -$100, the cheaper being the less desirable fabric. Someone needs to design a nice dress style with elastic necks. Or just a better fit for guys who work out. I hate when shirts puff out around the belt, because they were really designed for someone more pear-shaped... I guess.
Buying clothes these days is problematic for me, because I'm fat, but not the same shape as 2020 fat people. Apparantly people now have little twig legs and big hips, narrow shoulders but a big gut. If I'm buying a 2xl shirt, I would like the whole shirt to be big, not just the midsection.

I think too much men's clothing is made for people with this body type:

Screenshot_20201119-102221_Chrome.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My Great Grandfather used to wear a tie and jacket when working in the fields. He considered himself a Gentleman Farmer. We have pictures of him on his tractor with suit and tie. I would rather not have to get so much dry cleaning done, plus, who the heck would be impressed now a days by some oddball on his tractor with his Sunday bests on.
Hmm. I might have to wear my Brooks Brothers for mowing tomorrow.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There was a time I wrote tailored suits, custom shirts and had at least 50 very nice silk ties. I don't miss any of that in the least. The tailored suits and shirts were as comfortable as could be for a long sleeve button down shirt and suit but compare poorly to stretchy gym pants and Drifit T's. If I need to see a customer, blue jeans with a Nike Polo with company Logo suffices nicely.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The last time I wore a tie was at my daughters wedding in 2011. I don't like my shirts buttoned up to my neck and I don't like the feel of a tie around my neck. If I absolutely have to wear a tie, I'll leave my top button open.

I like the look of a nice pair of jeans, dress shirt and a sport coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.