PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
My grandfathers both wore suits and ties around the house on a daily basis. That was just what gentlemen did in the early twentieth century. I'm not sure I saw either of them in sports clothes per se, though my maternal grandfather left off the tie when he took us kids hiking. I'm sure I never saw my dad's dad without a suit and tie. He probably wore them hunting. When he was older, he went hunting with his son and friends, but stayed with the car. When the hunting party got back to the car without birds, he had a string of ducks he'd bagged right there.
On the old black and white tv shows like Lucy and Dick Van Dyke they men are almost always wearing a tie in the house. Loungewear meant taking off your sports coat and putting on a cardigan. An older guy I worked with told me his grandfather would often have on a tie when he was mowing the lawn. I doubt my grandfather ever owned a pair of sneakers. Different time back then.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have been retired for over 1 1/2 years and haven't worn a tie since then. But prior wore jackets or sweater with ties to work every day. Not because it was mandated at my site of work, (a professional healthcare setting), simply because I liked the look. Though certainly privately dis agreed with my male colleagues who never did. I've always believed that certain professional settings necessitate such, Actually hung onto a few of my wool blend sport coats which I occasionally wear-with jeans-because I like their look.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
That's me on my wedding day, about 8 years ago (I know I know, I was young and handsome :P ) .. while I have worn that black smoking to other events, I must admit I have never had a chance since to wear the French tie and the vest on any other occasion. I remember the days about 10-12 years ago when wearing a tie to the office was a must, even our sales guys wore long sleeved shirts and a sports jacket from fall to late spring. Gone are the days ... now days I wear a tie to our lodge meetings, and a bow tie to an opera night, that is before the pandemic hit us hard, and we can't have either type of get togethers/events. Heck, back when I was in college in the states, one could even wear an ascot without getting a funny look, nowadays if you wear an ascot you are either considered hipster, vintage or plain old out of a Godfather movie.

1620805_638382026199448_1781213184_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just going about town, taking my wife to medical appointments, going to get prescriptions, and whatever else I do under current constraints, as before the Covid thing, I find that dressing up a little bit just gets me treated better. Often just a sports jacket will get actual compliments, and a bowtie is like an event. This is fun, but I think it also gives points for getting treated better. It's subtle, but it seems true. Just getting in my car, wearing a sport jacket, a young dude asked if that was my driving jacket, but in an enthusiastic way, like he might want to follow suite.

Just going about town, taking my wife to medical appointments, going to get prescriptions, and whatever else I do under current constraints, as before the Covid thing, I find that dressing up a little bit just gets me treated better. Often just a sports jacket will get actual compliments, and a bowtie is like an event. This is fun, but I think it also gives points for getting treated better. It's subtle, but it seems true. Just getting in my car, wearing a sport jacket, a young dude asked if that was my driving jacket, but in an enthusiastic way, like he might want to follow suite.
Yes, definitely, dressing up gets you the extra treatment. I can pretty much smoke my pipe anywhere. I mean, who is going to walk over and tell the old man with a beard and dressed as a gentleman that he can't smoke his antiquated pipe. Even police officers will open doors for you and carry things for you. Nothing wrong with looking your best occasionally.

Ohhhh, I have also noticed that if you dress up when you go get a haircut, they always do a much better job than if you run in with shorts and a tshirt. When dressed, I usually walk out with a lawyer haircut, lol.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I used to mandate ties for my service techs and felt that it conveyed more professionalism. I gave up on that uncomfortable idea years ago when we started being the only people in a customer's office so attired.

Some of the guys I worked with from Texas referred to ties as "stupid strings" and I tend to agree but I'm so old that I'm allowed to be a curmudgeon.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I read an interesting article not long ago about the shift away from more formal attire in the business setting. The main premise of the article was that the status symbol of dressing up for work used to be reserved for professionals in high paying jobs. Now, the only people that have to dress up for work are the ones trying to impress clients and customers. If you're doing really well in your line of work, wearing jeans and a hoodie is the status symbol. It's basically the new way of saying, "I'm in power and because of that I will dictate what I wear."

The only time you'll ever see Mark Zuckerberg dressed up is when he's appearing before Congress.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
The classic... do you ever find that a tie can be too short with a Windsor? Or look like a giant clumpy knot?
I have had a few short ties over the years and just returned them. Its the knot my dad showed me as a young man, so I just stick with what I know. To be honest I dont wear them that often now a days.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm a lawyer. When I was young, we had to wear a suit and tie to work everyday. We could remove the coat in the office, but the tie stayed on though you could unbutton the collar. Then came casual Fridays. People argued over what was "business casual" and too casual, but bottom line was you didn't have to wear a suit and tie one day a week and that was great. Then it became casual everyday. And more recently, "business casual" went by the wayside; nobody bats an eye if you wear sweats at work. Unless you have to go talk to a judge at the courthouse.

These C19 days, working from home, you don't even have to wear pants. I still put on a button shirt, tie and coat when I talk to a judge. Even if it's a video call, though I keep my shorts or sweats on.

But ties, I hate them. I curse the man who invented them. Abominations!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s nice to look sharp from time to time but I’m so very glad that most modern companies don’t have such strict dress codes, I’m not a tie guy at all, I feel like I’m wearing a noose all day long when I’m wearing one, I imagine ya get used to that over time though. I work in shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt but I don’t deal with the public so there’s no point in dressing up. I wear a suit and tie for company Christmas parties, weddings and funerals, that’s it. For dates, it’s blue jeans, a button up shirt and Red Wings, I don’t get much fancier than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.