PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
A lot of small towns have a park. Usually a couple vets meet up and smoke. Many larger towns or areas have smoke clubs, or somewhere smokers can meet up.
What I'm getting at, go meet some other smokers, ask one to help pack your pipe, check moisture.
You'll find that is the best way to figure out if you have even have a problem.
And make a friend along the way.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
After a lot of good advices, tips and tricks from all of you guys I have finally understood that I was packing too loose, I was puffing too fast and too hard (a lot too hard) and that my baccy was not dry enough. I think I've finally understood (almost, I have to keep practicing!) the breathing technique. My first smoke of the day was much sweeter, smoother, almost without any gurgle (at least not intense as what I was used to) and overall a lot more enjoyable. I will keep paying attention and practicing my packing and smoking technique. Thanks a lot to all of you for your kind help, it already changed a lot the positive way.

Glad to hear it's looking up for you! Still try a corn cob though. I have smoked them mercilessly and have never ever had a one gurgle on me. They are extremely absorbent, and the way they are constructed would probably result in any real moisture pooling well below the draught hole.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
It may be a case of adjusting expectations. When I first started I pursued the "one light down to a fine white ash" thing and was nothing but frustrated. I gave up trying to get my them to stay lit with one light years ago and have never been happier. I usually light mine 6+ times. I buy kitchen matches in bulk :LOL:

I also run a pipe cleaner most of the way down the stem a couple of times during a session to dry it out. That too has never bothered me.

But, as others have said, if no gurgle and multiple lights are not for you then I am not sure what to do to fix it.

Civil

Lurker
Jun 17, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
I have found using Muttonchops breath method eliminates the gurgling. I switch between cho cho training and the breath method - I enjoy both. When the pipe is gurgling, consistent back draw eliminates it for a short time. I suggest you try.

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I am fed up with that sh**! Been smoking on and off since almost ten years now, mostly virginias and va/per. I just remembered why I always stop. I am fu***** fed up with the pipes gurgling and relighting and goo at the bottom of my pipes. I let the tobacco dry before smoking it, I smoke slow enough that my pipe is going out three four times per bowl, my pipes are clean, I don't clench, etc. I try to understand why it's always like that; watched a lot of videos and advice from smokers to other smokers... In vain... My pipes are Blatter and Blatter except one SMS Meeerschaum and one Big Ben.

Any advice are welcome but I doubt I will get it the right way anytime soon. Maybe I am just not made for that.

Best regards!
Two words my friend...

CORN

COB

Id suggest a straight Legend Rob Roy...

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I knew a guy one time who was enamored with Scotch. It seemed to me that he knew almost everything there was to know about Scotch: the history, legend & lore, the famous people who drank Scotch and so on. He had such a love affair with Scotch that he opened a vomFASS store in Winter Garden, FL (this is where I met him). After lending an ear to him (inside vomFASS), I asked him what he would recommend I purchase and he showed me three of his favorite in-store Scotches. As I went to pay I remarked how impressed I was with his passion to which he replied, “Yes, its all been a great experience with one exception, I can’t drink Scotch.” I said, excuse me? He replied, “I tried for many years to learn how to like Scotch, but I just can’t bring myself to it.” I put my hand out as a gestured to his beautiful store to which he replied, “Yes, ironic and sad, isn’t it?” I had no words so I took my change and my Scotch, and left. I went back with a friend the following month to show him the unique store only find it had closed down. And so it goes.

The point I am trying to make is, you can be enamored with a thing, spend a fair amount of time and money cultivating your knowledge and possession of that thing and in the end, find out that it simply wasn’t for you. It all boils down to the Jungian proposition of do people have ideas or do ideas have people? If an idea has you that you are not in agreement with, then exorcise the idea as quickly as practical, before too much time (and money) are spent. Take this observation for what it’s worth. I wish you well.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Life is too short to put up with a pipe that gurgles..

Another +1 for MM cobs.

But really, why bother? Sounds like you gave it a good crack.
Take up cigars and send me your tobacco stash to remove any temptation to disappoint yourself further.

I'll make sure it all gets a decent cremation.
Yes, you're most welcome. puffy

tabac_sammy

Lurker
Aug 21, 2021
I am fed up with that sh**! Been smoking on and off since almost ten years now, mostly virginias and va/per. I just remembered why I always stop. I am fu***** fed up with the pipes gurgling and relighting and goo at the bottom of my pipes. I let the tobacco dry before smoking it, I smoke slow enough that my pipe is going out three four times per bowl, my pipes are clean, I don't clench, etc. I try to understand why it's always like that; watched a lot of videos and advice from smokers to other smokers... In vain... My pipes are Blatter and Blatter except one SMS Meeerschaum and one Big Ben.

Any advice are welcome but I doubt I will get it the right way anytime soon. Maybe I am just not made for that.

Best regards!
"smoke what you like, and like what you smoke" is not merely lore. People vary in pH and susceptibility to certain leaf; for example, some people get hit hard in the gut by smoking Burley. Find out what works for you, order a lot of it on sale (usually the end of summer), and have a good time. Pipe smoking is a combination of hobby, habit, lifestyle, and mental stimulus. Only you know what works for you, but you have to pay attention to what you do, not what you think you should do. I found a few of my favorite blends simply by noticing that the tins got empty fast, but would not have said those were favorites until I observed myself liking them. Good luck and have fun.

tabac_sammy

Lurker
Aug 21, 2021
"smoke what you like, and like what you smoke" is not merely lore. People vary in pH and susceptibility to certain leaf; for example, some people get hit hard in the gut by smoking Burley. Find out what works for you, order a lot of it on sale (usually the end of summer), and have a good Nox Vidmate VLC time. Pipe smoking is a combination of hobby, habit, lifestyle, and mental stimulus. Only you know what works for you, but you have to pay attention to what you do, not what you think you should do. I found a few of my favorite blends simply by noticing that the tins got empty fast, but would not have said those were favorites until I observed myself liking them. Good luck and have fun.
at the end it's your choice man ,, and good luck

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I am fu***** fed up with the pipes gurgling and relighting and goo at the bottom of my pipes.

Clear your head, I read the parts also about you talking about being a perfectionist and doing things the right way.

There is no right or wrong way, it’s about finding your way, after reading and learning about all the various methods out there.

Look at it this way, a journey. Explore, tinker, experiment, play around, and enjoy the journey, don’t be upset if something doesn’t go right, just keep mixing things up until you find what works for you is all.

Relighting, I could careless if I have to always relight, in fact I do. For me, barely lighting the tabac, then taking a few small sips, then letting it go out, letting the pipe cool down, is where I find tabac tastes the greatest.

Dry various lengths of time, pack different ways, light different ways a little a lot, sip a lot, sip a little, etc., etc...

Cobs are more porous than Briar, I find the tastes in cobs to be lighter than Briar.

So the next time you want to smoke, forget about perfection, don’t think, just do something, slow down and enjoy!

Aloha! ?

P.S. Do you have some nice pipes in your collection? Good pipes make for an enjoyable difference(s).

Last edited:

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden

Best regards!
I had your problems for 13 years and I can confirm that Morrison is completely right. First of all you need to use the breathing method by default, puffing just once in a while. That I Iearnt just recently and it was revolutionizing for me.

The other main piece of the puzzle is to pack hard enough. Most smokers advice to be very careful not to pack too hard. But I have found that it is just as important not to pack too loose. I pack firmely, and make sure I really have some resistance without being all choked.

The result is that I can smoke any wet Samuel Gawith right out of the tin for over an hour with a medium sized bowl. No gurgling and no hot bowl.

Not all tobaccos taste the best when the smoke is this cool though, so you might want to puff a little to spice it up.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I haven’t even been smoking for 2 years, and fewer than 2 bowls per week at that, so I’m still a rookie. But I have never experienced gurgling. I will only smoke with pipes that fit a 9mm charcoal filter, and I’m sure that keeps things dry and cool (and hopefully some toxins from reaching my mouth). Almost never get tongue bite, and no gurgling.

good luck
Drew

Reactions: chopper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had your problems for 13 years and I can confirm that Morrison is completely right. First of all you need to use the breathing method by default, puffing just once in a while. That I Iearnt just recently and it was revolutionizing for me.

The other main piece of the puzzle is to pack hard enough. Most smokers advice to be very careful not to pack too hard. But I have found that it is just as important not to pack too loose. I pack firmely, and make sure I really have some resistance without being all choked.

The result is that I can smoke any wet Samuel Gawith right out of the tin for over an hour with a medium sized bowl. No gurgling and no hot bowl.

Not all tobaccos taste the best when the smoke is this cool though, so you might want to puff a little to spice it up.
I also pack my bowls fairly tight. I always check the draw to make sure I have the right resistance. If I pack too tight I just run a pipe cleaner through the pipe and it loosens it up just fine. The only tobacco I do dry for a while are my SG Flakes. Other than that I smoke everything fresh out of the tin.

Reactions: molst

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If smoking a pipe were as difficult for me as described in the original post, I doubt I would bother. It's not that I lack persistence, but I just don't think I'd have felt the need. It's supposed to be "like" a pleasure and an indulgence. However, more power to you for continuing to try. In your place, I'd be relaxed about it. See if the joy of pipe smoking will come to you, as you do these various adjustments in technique and exercises.