Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 25, 2021
England
Thank you very much! You are absolutely right I am litteraly drawing on the pipe, to be completely honest I don't really understand the breathing technique as my pipe is always going out when I try that technique. I think you got a very good pointer there.
If you breathe in through your nose with the back of the throat slightly closed, smoke will automatically enter the mouth.
I find I get plenty of smoke even without closing my lips around the pipe once the baccy gets burning properly. I just sit there slack-jawed and breathe.

Aug 1, 2012
When I was about to give up, I got some great advice from some forum members. They said to stop trying to do anything else while smoking. Just take the time to pay attention to the burn, the tobacco, the dryness and to accept that it may not stay lit or gurgle-free for a bit. When it gets hot, put it down for a while and come back later. Relights and gurgle can be part of the experience depending on the smoker, the tobacco and the environment (RH) so they can be accepted...plus, gurgle is why they made certain types of pipe cleaners in the first place. Pipes going out doesn't necessarily mean you are smoking slow, it can mean you are packing incorrectly for your pipe, tobacco and cadence. Step back and focus on one basic at a time and you may find joy in pipe smoking.

GaiusDegrok

Lurker
Jul 8, 2021
Saint-Jerome, Qc, Canada
If you breathe in through your nose with the back of the throat slightly closed, smoke will automatically enter the mouth.
I find I get plenty of smoke even without closing my lips around the pipe once the baccy gets burning properly. I just sit there slack-jawed and breathe.
Thank you very much! I think maybe you found my main problem! And let me ask you something else please: if my pipe goes out when I try the breathing technique maybe my pipe is packed too tight? I am not putting a lot of pressure but maybe I should pack it even looser?

GaiusDegrok

Lurker
Jul 8, 2021
Saint-Jerome, Qc, Canada
When I was about to give up, I got some great advice from some forum members. They said to stop trying to do anything else while smoking. Just take the time to pay attention to the burn, the tobacco, the dryness and to accept that it may not stay lit or gurgle-free for a bit. When it gets hot, put it down for a while and come back later. Relights and gurgle can be part of the experience depending on the smoker, the tobacco and the environment (RH) so they can be accepted...plus, gurgle is why they made certain types of pipe cleaners in the first place. Pipes going out doesn't necessarily mean you are smoking slow, it can mean you are packing incorrectly for your pipe, tobacco and cadence. Step back and focus on one basic at a time and you may find joy in pipe smoking.
Thank you very much. I will do exactly that. I will pay more attention. Maybe I am packing my pipe too tight and not dry enough. My pipe never gets really hot though.

Reactions: JOHN72

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
In addition to the above good advice and maybe trying a Missouri Meerschaum cob, consider a pipe with a "filter", which is actually some type of moisture absorber. My budget-friendly favorite is an estate Carey's Magic Inch with a paper sleeve that is just there to absorb moisture. They can also be purchased new online in a wide variety of styles. I also have had good results with cutting a paper towel into a strip about 1" wide and 1.5" to 2" long, rolled up into a tube, and placed in the stem of a MM cob for the same purpose. It works!

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle
@GaiusDegrok

You've got some sound advice to keep you going for now. I've been smoking pipes since 2015 and still haven't found the right technique for VA. Don't give up as this is one of life's simplest and most rewarding pleasures. Some day I'll get the right skills for a VA but I haven't given up yet. Effort, technique and time will solve the problem.

GaiusDegrok

Lurker
Jul 8, 2021
Saint-Jerome, Qc, Canada
@GaiusDegrok

You've got some sound advice to keep you going for now. I've been smoking pipes since 2015 and still haven't found the right technique for VA. Don't give up as this is one of life's simplest and most rewarding pleasures. Some day I'll get the right skills for a VA but I haven't given up yet. Effort, technique and time will solve the problem.
Thank you for your kind words! It's just that sometimes it's frustrating to think I am not doing the things the right way.

Reactions: JOHN72 and GCW
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
In my experience, gurgling is the result of bent pipe, tobacco too moist (resulting in moisture at the bottom of the bowl) or tobacco loosened up and needs tamped a bit. Cure is to quit smoking 3/4 and more bent pipes, dry tobacco and run pipe cleaner through to bowl while smoking or tamp down to tighten things up a bit. 3 or 4 lights per bowl is low I would think, don't be concerned about that. Hope you find the fix.

GaiusDegrok

Lurker
Jul 8, 2021
Saint-Jerome, Qc, Canada
In my experience, gurgling is the result of bent pipe, tobacco too moist (resulting in moisture at the bottom of the bowl) or tobacco loosened up and needs tamped a bit. Cure is to quit smoking 3/4 and more bent pipes, dry tobacco and run pipe cleaner through to bowl while smoking or tamp down to tighten things up a bit. 3 or 4 lights per bowl is low I would think, don't be concerned about that. Hope you find the fix.
Thank you very much! Maybe I am giving too much credit to what I have seen on the internet like: one is supposed to be able to smoke a full pipe without any needs to relight and/or you are not suppose to have any gurgle at the bottom of the pipe and other stuff like that. I will be very cautious about not packing too tight, drying the tobacco more, breathing technique etc.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
As much as I don't like filters alot of people use them for this exact reason. If your pipe will take a filter and a charcoal filter is an option it can be very very forgiving and eliminate the moisture problem. I also noticed with the charcoal filters the restriction helps to not heat the pipe and the tobacco up nearly as much also helping with the moisture problem. I was a cigar smoker before also and the way you draw on a cigar is definitely different than smoking a pipe for me

Reactions: GaiusDegrok

GaiusDegrok

Lurker
Jul 8, 2021
Saint-Jerome, Qc, Canada
As much as I don't like filters alot of people use them for this exact reason. If your pipe will take a filter and a charcoal filter is an option it can be very very forgiving and eliminate the moisture problem. I also noticed with the charcoal filters the restriction helps to not heat the pipe and the tobacco up nearly as much also helping with the moisture problem. I was a cigar smoker before also and the way you draw on a cigar is definitely different than smoking a pipe for me
You are absolutely right about the difference of draw between the cigar and the pipe. I will look to get myself a pipe with filters it sound like a very good idea tobget rid of moisture. In fact I have my eyes on one (or two!!) Brigham pipe. I think it could resolve my moisture problem! Thank you very much!

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
You are absolutely right about the difference of draw between the cigar and the pipe. I will look to get myself a pipe with filters it sound like a very good idea tobget rid of moisture. In fact I have my eyes on one (or two!!) Brigham pipe. I think it could resolve my moisture problem! Thank you very much!
Sure buddy that's what we're here for. Hopefully that's the ticket and you can start relaxing and enjoying your pipe smoking experience

Reactions: GaiusDegrok

GaiusDegrok

Lurker
Jul 8, 2021
Saint-Jerome, Qc, Canada
a short straight pipe might help. You don't have to buy a Castello, try a peterson "Short" billiard. It may help. good luck.
Yes I think you are absolutely right; my Big Ben is a short straight pipe and I never get gurgle in it. I will look to get other short straight pipes eventually after I have tried all the good advices I had here today.
Thank you very much!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thank you very much! Maybe I am giving too much credit to what I have seen on the internet like: one is supposed to be able to smoke a full pipe without any needs to relight and/or you are not suppose to have any gurgle at the bottom of the pipe and other stuff like that. I will be very cautious about not packing too tight, drying the tobacco more, breathing technique etc.

Don't pack too tight just be ready to tamp as the bowl burns down. Tramping too tight can cause a very hard draw and excess heat. Whoever said you should smoke every bowl, or many bowls for that matter, without any relights was a phuktard.

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I think at some point we've all had some level of frustration with our pipe smoking. I know for me I used to get awful tongue bite. I stepped away from pipe smoking for probably a year and a half and just strictly stuck to cigars. I had some tobacco's I had stashed away and forgot about and figured I would give it another shot and started fine-tuning my pipe smoking. Once I started really learning more about how dry my tobacco should be before I load my pipe and learned the breath method all of that changed. I still enjoy cigars but I would have to say I enjoy all the varieties of tobacco that pipes smoking offers and the whole process now even more than cigars.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Cobs are a great suggestion. I would also suggest a Falcon. All the moisture is contained in the humidome for a cool dry smoke. A stem and 2 bowls would be where I would start. You can even get a block meerschaum bowl for the Falcon. Clean up is a snap and their rugged pipes that will last you a long time and their not expensive.