PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bodhi

Lurker
Sep 28, 2020
Central Pennsylvania
As usual, I was a bit late to this conversation.... I've read some great advice here for your situation from drying more to drawing slower and they are all great suggestions. I have about 2 pipes in my collection that always like to "gurgle" and I was able to stop this by 1. Switching those two pipes to Englishes only.
2. Using Nording Keystone pellets in the bottom of the bowl. I can get them at just about any tobacco store and they absorb the moisture well.
Hope this helps a bit

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I haven’t even been smoking for 2 years, and fewer than 2 bowls per week at that, so I’m still a rookie. But I have never experienced gurgling. I will only smoke with pipes that fit a 9mm charcoal filter, and I’m sure that keeps things dry and cool (and hopefully some toxins from reaching my mouth). Almost never get tongue bite, and no gurgling.

good luck
Drew
No toxins in tobacco. It's like angels breath.

Next thing is you'll be telling us that beer isn't a health food. :eek:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If a person smokes a pipe, is it the pipes fault for a wet smoke?

If a tree falls in a forest does the ham smoke itself or does it require re-lights at the third bowl of soup

This is my concise take after reading this thread and I’m definitely worse for wear.

Having read this thread, I’m not sure I understand anything any more.

One final thing. Your literary hero smoked a pipe. He didn’t ask eighty questions about it.

I think I’ll just smoke my pipes and avoid shit like this

Reactions: instymp

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
After a lot of good advices, tips and tricks from all of you guys I have finally understood that I was packing too loose, I was puffing too fast and too hard (a lot too hard) and that my baccy was not dry enough. I think I've finally understood (almost, I have to keep practicing!) the breathing technique. My first smoke of the day was much sweeter, smoother, almost without any gurgle (at least not intense as what I was used to) and overall a lot more enjoyable. I will keep paying attention and practicing my packing and smoking technique. Thanks a lot to all of you for your kind help, it already changed a lot the positive way.
I've been pipe smoking for 50 years and still haven't perfected the technique. ? It used to bother me when I was young until I noticed when amongst veteran pipe smokers they didn't always 'get it right' either.