PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Corncob90

Lurker
Mar 25, 2022
Missouri
Also I found a blend at my local B&M, Their number one seller is a bulk blend that is said to be basically the same as Lane 1Q (I can't find any lane 1Q in town to compare it too) and I've found that it has that sweet smell of pipe tobacco that I remember from my childhood. I can find CB, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and half, and a bunch of other brands that people have brought up on this post and am wondering if I should bother trying them or save my money and keep trying other blends from an actual tobacconist.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
1Q has been the most popular tobacco for decades. If that's the one you remember from your childhood then I'd say that you're probably on to something.

FWIW, I always prefer buying my my tobacco from a B&M rather than a convenience store.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Only the few good and brave individuals will keep on enjoying that blend after the second smoke. Why second smoke? First bowl to try the blend, and second to verify that they actually smoked something. The total lack of any indication of tobacco (or anything) just amazes my mind.
Velvet bites the heck out of me, so does Granger and Half and Half. It must be something Lane puts in those brands. It actually painful for me to smoke them. Captain Black, Amphora, Sir Walter Raleigh regular and aromatic and some other's are fine for me. It's weird because Velvet is supposed to be "The Smoothest Smoke" but it's really like a 1960s snake and nape canister being dropped in my mouth then exploding!

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
seriously a great blend. It does have a quality I'd call classically pipey.
I love Mixture 79. Funny thing when I first tried it I didn't like it. It wasn't the taste or the aroma, they were terrific, it was the fact that I couldn't keep it lit to save my life. After a few years of learning about packing and drying tobaccos out I bought another pouch and really liked it. I then bought a tub. Beings the tub was $38 bucks back then I ended up buying it in bulk then I just dump it in the tub to replenish it. I still use the tub lol, it hasn't had the "original contents" for a long time. The bulk version is better to me because the casing and topping in toned down and it burns perfectly.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Also I found a blend at my local B&M, Their number one seller is a bulk blend that is said to be basically the same as Lane 1Q (I can't find any lane 1Q in town to compare it too) and I've found that it has that sweet smell of pipe tobacco that I remember from my childhood. I can find CB, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and half, and a bunch of other brands that people have brought up on this post and am wondering if I should bother trying them or save my money and keep trying other blends from an actual tobacconist.
I know this post is a year old but I would just keep an eye out on the online vendors like PC and SP. They are always having specials and sales on the pouch brands. Especially Pipesandcigars, they have a "battle of blends" thing going on all the time. That's where I tried Half and Half and Mixture 79 at the same time. You'll get two different pouches cheap. I'd say if you have the extra money just get one or two pouches a month of different classic otc brands and try them out.

Reactions: JOHN72

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
It's getting harder and harder to find those old codger blends where the old codgers found them. Well, it's getting harder to find the codger blends without settling for their matches.

As I first started smoking a pipe, it was pouches of Carter Hall. I smoked it in the car because of its smoking properties (load it sme light it, the tobacco will do the rest almost). I had been out of the car for about 2 weeks one stretch, a week of vacation then a week of commuting on the motorcycle. When I got back in the car, it smelled exactly like my grandfather's car. I asked my mother's side about it. Oh of course he smoked a pipe, they said.

A Grabow (from Winston's Drug Store in Auborn, Mass) was forever hanging from his jaw. It got replaced every Christmas with a new tub of Carter Hall. And when he finally retired, all the guys chipped in and got him a Dunhill instead of a gold watch.

He kept this hidden from the grandchildren. I guess he didn't want us to pick up smoking from him like his kids all did. But I remember walking in the woods with him, or fishing, or even just sitting on the porch listening to him tell stories from "the old days" of the 30s and 40s. He was always always fidgeting with a stick or tool or something. I see now he was in places he would usually bring a pipe full of Carter Hall. His mind or body was looking for the pipe and had to settle for the stick.

When I got into my car that day, all those memories came flooding back. Carter Hall became a link to a good man gone too soon.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That phrase I would associate with eating too many bean taco's! That said I always associate Condor RR with that old time pipe smell. In the last few years a lot of the things I have smoked throughout my life have started to smell and taste different. St Bruno is one that springs to mind. It just doesn't leave the room note I remember growing up. Lane 1Q has always smelt the same to me. It smells very pleasant but I just cannot get into the stuff.

Reactions: The Clay King

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
When I was a kid, a few relatives smoked pipes and I always knew when they were visiting by the smell of the house whenever I came home. I can't really describe the aroma in terms of what was in the tobacco, but it was that typical old school aroma that a lot of people I know associate with pipe smoking. Alas, those relatives are long gone so I can't ask them what they were smoking. I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that it could have been Captain Black Original or perhaps Carter Hall or an Amphora Blend. Do any of you know what I'm talking about? I'm trying to find a tobacco with that smell.
I know exactly what you're talking about! As a young teen , I remember going into tobacco shops to check out the magazines, (used to hunt for all those hard to find, (at the time,) WWII history/aviation/modelling magazines and I always loved the smell of the pipe tobacco going into them. But I've never noticed that smell smoking my pipe now and I have no idea what it was. Like someone said, maybe the blends available to Canadians were different. I remember one store in particular in Kitchener/Waterloo - can remember the smell like it was yesterday. Love that smell!

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
If it was pre-1970 in Canada it would have been more than likely a British OTC like Condor, St Bruno or one the Players type blends. If you take a trip over to Ebay (Canada) and punch in 'Pipe Tobacco Tins' it will throw up pages of Brit blends sold in Canada right up till the late 80s - you can tell by the tax stamps or the little labels in French!
I’ve got like 30 metal Borkum Riff tins from my dad holding various nails and screws. All have the stamps etc.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@huntertrw : I was thinking that exact thought. I remember the wax used on the linoleum floors in the dormitory at my old school and very occasionally I came across that same scent stateside and find myself traveling in time.