PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
When I was a kid, a few relatives smoked pipes and I always knew when they were visiting by the smell of the house whenever I came home. I can't really describe the aroma in terms of what was in the tobacco, but it was that typical old school aroma that a lot of people I know associate with pipe smoking. Alas, those relatives are long gone so I can't ask them what they were smoking. I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that it could have been Captain Black Original or perhaps Carter Hall or an Amphora Blend. Do any of you know what I'm talking about? I'm trying to find a tobacco with that smell.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I smoked some vintage Sugar Barrel recently, and that's exactly how the odor of the smoke from that tobacco struck me - like an old school tobacco shop where the guy behind the counter was smoking a pipe. Just a really comforting fragrance.
Maybe Carter Hall or Granger or Derby Club will do that for you. Nice to have a goal that gives you a good excuse to try new-to-you blends. ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Most likely something readily available, an over the counter. The question would be, what was easily available in your part of Canada, fifty, sixty, seventy years ago? Depending on the size of the community probably wasn't a lot of choice. Lane showed up in the US, unknown when it appeared in Canada. But, I'd bet it was one of the US "grocery or drug store brands, most of which are shown some where above. Worth your while to invest a bit of time in a little detective work? You'll have to answer that yourself.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
For me the typical aroma I recall enjoying was black Cavendish and related blends. Sweet but not overly so, and not pungent like strong Latakia blends.

I worked at Chief Catoonah back in the 70's as a teen on weekends. Nanny's would probably prohibit a 14 year old from that type of weekend work nowadays. I made $25 a day.

I recall a cav blend called blackwatch (I think). There was also one called blend 16. A shag cut of who knows what (probably VA based) that also smelled wonderful. I think I smoked them both and the blackwatch was too mild, and the blend 16 bit me.

Closest I've found in the right ballpark for me all these years later is frog on a log. Latakia, yes I know. But now I'm the one smoking it...not just enjoying the room note, and the taste is sweet and smooth, and pretty mild.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Depends upon what part of the country they were from. If Midwestern, probably Prince Albert, or Capt Black. If Eastern seaboard, Sir Walter Raleigh. Velvet was quite popular in the Tennessee Valley. Half and Half was immensely popular in the Carolinas. West of the Mississippi? That I’m clueless upon.
But it would also depend upon where they got their tobacco. Here in the upper Midwest, Woolworth’s stocked PA, and SWR, and occasionally Capt Black. Walgreens was pretty much entirely Middleton blends (Carter Hall, Kentucky Club, Cherry, Walnut, Sugar Barrel), And Capt Black. The grocers usually only stocked the Sutliff or Lane Bulk 1lb bags (Super Value And the like). Most independent pharmacists carried the tins of Velvet.
But they might have smoked something other than typical OTC’s. Maybe they smoked a house blend (my Uncle smoked IRC’s House blend which later became their “Red”), or something they picked up initially overseas like Ennerdale or Capstan.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If it was pre-1970 in Canada it would have been more than likely a British OTC like Condor, St Bruno or one the Players type blends. If you take a trip over to Ebay (Canada) and punch in 'Pipe Tobacco Tins' it will throw up pages of Brit blends sold in Canada right up till the late 80s - you can tell by the tax stamps or the little labels in French!

To someone who is smoking a pipe, we have gotten totally used to the briar aromas. But, as a kid, I always remember that smell of warmed briar, no matter what the blend was that was smoked in it. But, after we get used to that aroma, we can no longer smell it... like I suppose most people don't smell themselves anymore. But, then I get stuck in an elevator with someone, and I end up wondering if they are aware that they smell. puffy