Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
That phrase I would associate with eating too many bean taco's! That said I always associate Condor RR with that old time pipe smell. In the last few years a lot of the things I have smoked throughout my life have started to smell and taste different. St Bruno is one that springs to mind. It just doesn't leave the room note I remember growing up. Lane 1Q has always smelt the same to me. It smells very pleasant but I just cannot get into the stuff.
@condorlover1 I think Condor / St Bruno could be the classic pipe smell here in England; one re-enactor I met lit his clay pipe and it smelled like the classic pipe smell...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@halfdan : Dan you need explain that. Is it a classic smell because (a) it was a clay pipe (b) it contained either Condor or St Bruno (c) the re-enactor himself smelled 'classic' whatever that means (d) the events leading to the 'classic' smell took place in England as opposed to Wales, Scotland or the whole of the country which is known as the United Kingdom.

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan : Dan you need explain that. Is it a classic smell because (a) it was a clay pipe (b) it contained either Condor or St Bruno (c) the re-enactor himself smelled 'classic' whatever that means (d) the events leading to the 'classic' smell took place in England as opposed to Wales, Scotland or the whole of the country which is known as the United Kingdom.
@condorlover1 I don't know which baccy he was smoking in his clay pipe!

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
My grandfather smoked nothing but George Washington until he couldn't buy it any longer. I think it was discontinued in 1974 and he switched to Carter Hall about that time.
A friend of mine acquired a few boxes of George Washington pipe tobacco. They are boxed with the pouch inside just like how Half &Half came in when Pinkerton was making it and Granger. Anyway, he sent me one and I was very tempted to open it because I absolutely love Prince Albert. Since PA and GW was made by R.J.Reynolds at the same time it's probably really good stuff! But I put it up on my gun cabinet with the other Middleton discontinued tobaccos.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
My uncle used to come and play cards with my Dad weekly and smoked Borkum Riff.

I loved the smell of that tobacco though it wouldn't be my choice to smoke.

Watching my Uncle enjoy his pipe is what started me on the journey.

Made the house smell great (at least to me) for a few days

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Everyone is afraid to admit it, but it is deertongue.
I believe you with that. I know that some of the older blends that aren't around anymore used it as a vanilla flavoring. Half and Half had it as a condiment as well. So did Heine's Blend back in the 40s and 50s. Another flavor that is in these old estate pipes is Musk. Mixture-79 had musk.

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
I'm still chasing the pipe tobacco aroma that I remember from my grandfather in the early 90's, and a handful of other times that I smelled pipe tobacco up until maybe the early 2000's. My grandfather didn't smoke a pipe for very long before he switched to stinky cigars, probably too much of a fuss for him. Knowing him, he smoked whatever they had at the pharmacy down the hill. Which in the 90's, still had a wall display of Dr Grabows behind the counter. I always assumed it was Captain Black because of the popularity, but after trying them myself, it definitely wasn't Regular or Royal. Maybe it was cherry, because I remember it as a very sweet smell.