didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If you're careful with a metal tamper, it shouldn't be an issue—but, an easy solution would be to use a wooden golf tee. Nice pipes, by the way. Enjoy!
MRW: Beautiful choices ! Enjoy !

IronMonkey: I have a Tulip Poplar in my yard (tulip poplar wood is often used to make furniture). I picked up a fallen branch and cut a three inch section for a tamper. Same principle as a golf tee which is a great idea !

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
I use the same tamper for both briar and meerschaum, a metal pipe tool with a scraper and poker and the tamper on the end, all metal. Just use sense that used to be common. Don’t scrape the sides overly hard. I’ve had no detrimental effects.

Reactions: Scottmi

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
With the recent Meerschaum interest on the forum, I figured sharing that P&C has metal footed Meerschaum tampers on sale for about $24.

I'm also curious how your tamper is coloring, @didimauw .
Slowly but surely.
I tried wiping it down, and it didn't change at all. I wonder if I actually tried cleaning it, if it would be less black and more orange. PXL_20221212_021607261.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've always used a standard Plain Jane metal tamper with my Meers and never suffered a scratch on the interior of the bowl. I think you'd have to try pretty hard to cause any significant damage with a metal tamper. Of course, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a fancy meer tamper, this one works as good as any. But it's surely not necessary. Keep in mind, as you smoke the Meer, you're going to build up a layer of cake whether you want to or not. That's enough to protect against some incidental contact by a metal tamper.