PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I have my first of three Meerschaum pipes coming from Turkey this week and was curious about tamper use. Paid a pretty penny for these and do not want to damage the inner bowl using my metal tamper as used with my Briar pipes. I welcome your experienced thoughts, wisdom and advice regarding this topic.

1643817766529.png
1643817859579.png
1643817992003.png

Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, you'll wanna be careful. If you do use a harder tamper, what'll happen is you'll "flare" out the bowl's interior rim, they're usually cut pretty sharp where bowl meets rim.

Honestly, a wooden golf tee works best. Or you can buy a fancy briar tamp too, lucky for me Nate included one when I got my pipe from him.

Here's a new vs year-old comparison: (RE: rim)

NtxGsVol.jpg

njjAlpwl.jpg

I've been much more dilligent about using the briar tamp since I've noticed the rim "softening"/"flaring out" - I understand it's a little harder to see with the blackened bowl in the second picture but I hope at least the first pic demonstrates how 'sharp' the edge can be when new.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
As I tamp the ashes/tobacco and not the pipe it hasn't been a problem. It's not as if other than minimal force is used to tamp. Since briar is harder than meerschaum a briar tamper is not the answer.

Reactions: Scottmi

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Since meerschaum is often called the white goddess, I bought this one a few years ago exclusively for meerschaum use. No damage to my pipes.

View attachment 125938
I've recently been thinking about getting a tamper that's made out of meerschaum. But it seems most have some sort of silver(ish) cap on the foot end. Not pure meerschaum. That would be neat.