PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
View attachment 6382
I've been enjoying this Citizens for almost a year now for my work watch. I love my Marlins most, but this one just takes the comfort and reliability prize. It is toe to toe in staying to the second with my iPhone clock.

I just replaced the band last week, and I was disappointed when it came and found that it was several shades darker that the previous band, and it was the identical item number as the previous band. Eh, a small nuisance. Leather bands tend to get smelly at about the six month point for me. But, I really like the way it looks and wears.
I like that citizen. I have been looking for another citizen to add, but it's hard to find something with everything I want. I like the white face with the black numbers on yours. My citizen, ( posted on here) I love, and wear it often, but the colors kind of blend in and it can be awkward to check the time in certain light. Now if only I could find your watch with day and date if be set.

I like that citizen. I have been looking for another citizen to add, but it's hard to find something with everything I want. I like the white face with the black numbers on yours.
Thank you, I always look for light faces with a good contrast between the hands and numbers, so that it is easy to read. My old eyes...
I suggest looking for last years clearance when shopping for watches. You can save up to 50% at times, and if you like the more classic look, it will never look out of style. IMO

I also have a cheap Timex Expedition for when I am going to be digging or building things outside. It takes a licking... puffy
...and, I wouldn't feel bad about tossing a broken Expedition if I crack the plastic crystal.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Thank you, I always look for light faces with a good contrast between the hands and numbers, so that it is easy to read. My old eyes...
I suggest looking for last years clearance when shopping for watches. You can save up to 50% at times, and if you like the more classic look, it will never look out of style. IMO

I also have a cheap Timex Expedition for when I am going to be digging or building things outside. It takes a licking... puffy
...and, I wouldn't feel bad about tossing a broken Expedition if I crack the plastic crystal.
Yes I have been really close a couple times to buying an expedition. My weekender has no date, or day. Otherwise it would be my favorite. The expeditions on the other hand ...

My weekender has no date, or day. Otherwise it would be my favorite.
I hate date windows. I prefer to just set the watch twice a year at time changes and be done with it. With date windows, I would have to reset the date at the end of most months. With my Marlins, of course I have to set the watch each morning when I put one on, but at least I don't have to fiddle with the date as well.
But, I could totally understand if I was having to write the date down on forms or something. Luckily, I don't.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I hate date windows. I prefer to just set the watch twice a year at time changes and be done with it. With date windows, I would have to reset the date at the end of most months. With my Marlins, of course I have to set the watch each morning when I put one on, but at least I don't have to fiddle with the date as well.
But, I could totally understand if I was having to write the date down on forms or something. Luckily, I don't.
That's why I like my digital G shock with atomic time and solar powered. I keep it on 24 hour time, cause that's what we use on the railroad. It's nice for in winter, when I'm at work. Sometimes we get stuck in our hotels for 24-36 hours at a time. When I wake up from the phone call to get on another train, I can look at my watch and know what day of the week, and which "5" o clock it really is, when it's pitch black out.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Seiko5 gave up the ghost after many years and I decided to get a hackable movement (stops when pin is pulled and can be wound). Don't wear it as much as the 5 because I don't want it beat up:(

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Wearing a surprisingly accurate vintage Russian made mechanical chronograph. I picked this up on ebay for $50 5 years ago. It has been cleaned and adjusted. Nice, light, albeit thick watch. A diamond in the rough. I think the company (Poljot) had a legal battle with some German made watches upon which they based this model on.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Timex has been coming out with some great looking, vintage vibe watches lately, great choice!
They sure are - too bad they are still using mineral crystals on these reproductions - you can see I managed to put a massive scratch in this crystal just working in an office. I’d advise anyone to stay away from mineral crystals on a watch in general.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
One more Russian made mechanical watch
6udCEw7.jpg

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Wow some great pieces!

For a scratched Crystal, folks say Polywatch can work wonders:

Love that Bremont!
F-14_Watch.png
It's my grail watch. I've got another Tomcat Breitling and a few other choice timepieces but this is the one that gets rescued from the fire first.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I forgot about this one, obtained in a trade, a Smiths Everest (PRS 25 Model). A British microbrand, and an old British name. In 1953 when Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay made their historical climb to the summit of Everest, they had with them two watches: a Smiths and a Rolex. It has the styling combinations of the Rolex Explorer that made it to the summit and a vintage Smiths military watch. It has a decent Miyota (Citizen) automatic movement.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I forgot about this one, obtained in a trade, a Smiths Everest (PRS 25 Model). A British microbrand, and an old British name. In 1953 when Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay made their historical climb to the summit of Everest, they had with them two watches: a Smiths and a Rolex. It has the styling combinations of the Rolex Explorer that made it to the summit and a vintage Smiths military watch. It has a decent Miyota (Citizen) automatic movement.

This is a cool concept. I had heard about the Rolex Explorer in the Everest story but not the Smiths - so this is a “mashup” of the two watches? Unique idea for a double homage like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.