PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watches also offer a whole host of social cues. When someone has stopped me to chatter about something, occasionally glancing at my watch can make a conversation come more quickly to an end. Glancing at my watch when looking for directions can solicit help, or explain my trespassing. Whereas pulling out your phone in a meeting might look rude as if your checking on something in social media, looking at your watch can show that you have a more serious concern.

Watches offer more than just time. I feel naked without mine. Plus, a nice watch can start conversation, and much much more.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Been wearing this one for almost 40yrs, first thing on in morning, last thing off at night. :puffy:

Reactions: burleyboy

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You motivated me to go box-digging, Old Cajun. :lol:
I think your model replaced mine because people complained its face was too cluttered and the orange hand looked tacky.
Over 40 years here, but I stopped wearing it a decade ago when I found out what cleaning & tuning would co$t. :crazy:
Rolex.jpg

Reactions: burleyboy

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Georged mine came with a white dial and silver hands, impossible to clearly see, went to where I bought it and had a black face and white hands put on, kept the original and papers, box in my chest. Just for your info. Had it serviced 2 times, last time Owner of Paul's Jewerly store was there when I picked it up, had my USS IOWA hat on, he asked if I was a vet, told him I was and a 600$ bill turned into a 200$ bill. There's still good people in this world.

Mar 1, 2014
https://reactorwatch.com/
These aren’t for everyone but they’re the only watch I trust not to fall apart in daily activities (livestock, heavy equipment, washing dishes).

The internals are mostly unspectacular so you are paying a hefty premium for what amounts to some extra QC and a bolt holding the band instead of a spring pin, but I’ve just never heard anything positive enough about build quality from any other manufacturer (outside of say, Rolex) to have confidence buying anything else.
When I was younger I would wear a watch to bed, these are well beyond that kind of comfort level, and to be honest I haven’t worn my watches recently, but I do still look at their new releases every year (even though I have two already) because I know that unlike almost every other watch on the market these are not created to be disposable.

(Be on the lookout for discontinued models and you can save a good chunk of change.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Stopped with wrist watches when I stopped refereeing lacrosse about six years ago. Almost always have phone with me, with time accurate to the second.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
+ 1 for Olkofri,I used to carry pocket watches back then but as of today I decided to follow the fashion and moved forward to wearing mechanical self-winding watches, such as Eternas &Atlantic brands, I'd truly love to get an old Illinois or Elgin silver pocket watch 'railroad watch with effective looking silver chains but those are rare event especially here across the pond

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If you're wearing a watch these days, it's probably for fashion or you don't carry a phone. So wear whatever you like and can afford.
I really don't wear any jewelry, ever. But, I have a old 1920's Hamilton MIB that I really like. Also have a Shinola (American made in Detroit) that I wear when I want some bling.
Nothing wrong with knock off's BTW. I have had a couple of fake Cartier's that worked for quite a while. lol

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've become a pretty big watch junkie...
Wife bought me this Accutron Chronograph for our 25th wedding anniversary. I had a buddy who put a new ETA movement in it last year (quartz, it simply failed).

I've owned this Seiko Quartz 200 mm diver since the early 1990's, it gets a battery every few years. I put a new bezel and bracelet on it a few years ago and it's my beater watch. On a NATO for use this summer.
63592975_2880086785340631_1342921395968933888_o.jpg

Damasko DS30, love the German style. On an Erika's MN strap.

Dress diver for work, Longines Hydroconquest

Squale 1521, because everyone needs an orange diver. On a Staib mesh bracelet, a work of art in itself.

My Holy Grail, a Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter. My Uncle was a fish camp guide and always wore a Doxa in the 70's, because that is what Jacques Cousteau wore.

I think I have a problem.....

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I wear a simple steel Rolex Date I inherited. And I have a smart watch in the mail, a gift I'm going to have to pretend to like.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I wear a Seiko chronograph which replaced the previous one that I wore for 27 years until it died. It cost more to repair it than it would to buy a new one, so I bought a new one. I have a dress silver Superman watch m'lady bought me 25 years ago and occasionally, I switch what I wear for the fun of it. I've been wearing a watch since I was five years old, and can't live without one. I don't carry a phone and even if I did, I wouldn't stop wearing a watch.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
ssjones, that's a great looking Seiko. I have a similar watch problem...
98551516-cf38-46b6-9ac1-777976d02a7e-600x450.jpg

I'm a sucker for good NATO strap.
b6d19dc7-925c-49b6-acf1-d8fc4330b8dc-600x450.jpg

But I really like it when they glow!

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
ssjones, thanks for tip on the Erika's MN. I had never heard of them before but they look pretty awesome. I could imagine that a bit of elasticity would make for better fit than a NATO style where there are only incremental sizes.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
From one Paul to another, yes. It's a Garmin vivoactive 3, which does all kinds of sporty things like measure your heartrate, track sleep patterns, count steps, program fitnessy he-man woman-hating things. And it still manages to be spectacularly ugly.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Well, as I stated above, haven't worn a watch in years.
Today, I received a box on my porch from Amazon. Inside was a new Citizen Eco Drive Diver's 200m
So, I guess, I'm a watch wearer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.