PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
If anyone works on watches I have my 7s26 in the smaller diameter case black face with 90 degree crown. I installed a sapphire crystal in it and oiled it a tiny bit on the crystals. Like I said the movement spring needs set back on the peg so it runs fast. I won’t fix it so maybe trade me a tin for it ?
That should be a simple fix. I can attempt to fix it for you if you want. I know there are others on here who can probably fix it as well, and with more experience at such repairs then myself. I just do watch repairs on my own watches.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm with BROBs on a preferring a quartz vs a lower end auto.
I've had this Seiko quartz diver since 1993. It had a magnifier window, but I broke it twice in the first few years of ownership, so I just replaced it with a flat crystal. I "restored" if a few years ago, with a new bezel (took three years to find that piece, from via a parts dealer in the UK , which set me back $70) and a ebay Seiko Jubilee bracelet (the factory was stretched beyond belief). The case has been polished countless times, before I knew such things were cool, but hey, I like shiny stainless. It's only every needed a battery. I bought an SKX a few years ago, which only ran a few months before timekeeping became very erratic. I was fortunate to return it for a refund. The quartz version (which by the is a 39mm model, slightly smaller than the SKX). I have the original bezel and bracelet, but don't see them returning to the watch. This one has truly been my beater, been snorkeling all over and even surfing in Hawaii.

My Swiss-made Accutron (quartz) had a pretty expensive ETA movement (expensive by quartz movement standards that didn't last ten year. A buddy, a repair hobbyist, replaced the movement for me on that one. It lasted about 9 years.

View attachment 12801View attachment 12802
That is a well loved beautiful watch Al!

Nice restore as well!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Dang now you make me want to give g shock a try! I think I wore one back in the day as a kid and I do sort of remember the band being harder than silicone.

another thing I like about the Wengers is the sapphire coated crystal. Makes them pretty tough and cheap. The Victorinox come with an actual sapphire crystal! I’m rough on the crystals.
Out of every band I have, the rubber or resin bands on the g shocks are my most comfortable. I have nylon (NATO), leather and stainless. Stainless makes me break out ( nickel allergy) leather can't get wet that often, and NATO are just uncomfortable to me. Rubber is also cleaned the easiest, and drys fastest.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I thought after all the kind comments I got on the trench watch I posted I thought you might find my everyday watch circa 1918 of interest. It keeps very good time and I have just had the case and winder re-nickel plated since it was starting to show its age. The modern wrist watch was derived from a pocket watch with two lugs silver soldered to the case, one on each side and the face repainted to match the watches new angle of wear. If you look at this one you can see that is what was done to fulfill the War Department contract as well as shortening the winder and removing the ring for the chain.

Reactions: BROBS and tobefrank

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's incredible Simon!

I picked up a Smiths "Everest". A remake of old British name, (Smiths and Rolex were worn when Mt. Everest was conqured). A reliable Miyota 9015, hacking movement inside.

everest36.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS
I saw this and it cracked me up. Kevin O’Leary telling us how much we should spend on watches. It is long and painful to watch, but offers so much dry humor. When you get to the part where he talks about the prices, it gets harder to turn off. I wish they would just give this guy the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous Show. He could be the host, the rich, and the famous.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.